Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Won't be long! Soon he'll be donning the whale. Can't wait!

Don't think PA will let him cook a bit in the SHL?

I can wait to see him if it is right for his development; I just say "I can't wait to see..".

He is a wicked scorer; even more than just a sniper, he's got it all and who knows how many different types of arrows he has in that quiver?

He is also cooler than the other side of the pillow and sees the whole ice ahead of the play.

Don't flame me, he reminds me of Patty Kane, the way he just seems to float and .. its in the net.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Don't think PA will let him cook a bit in the SHL?

I can wait to see him if it is right for his development; I just say "I can't wait to see..".

He is a wicked scorer; even more than just a sniper, he's got it all and who knows how many different types of arrows he has in that quiver?

He is also cooler than the other side of the pillow and sees the whole ice ahead of the play.

Don't flame me, he reminds me of Patty Kane, the way he just seems to float and .. its in the net.

Does PA see value in another SHL season or does he see better develop in Abby? In Abby he will have NHL quality coaching and will have access to the Sedins. 

If he is mature enough to make the move to a new country and league then IMHO they should bring him over. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Does PA see value in another SHL season or does he see better develop in Abby? In Abby he will have NHL quality coaching and will have access to the Sedins. 

If he is mature enough to make the move to a new country and league then IMHO they should bring him over. 

I think you may be right. Be with the team here; more opportunities to teach and test.

That'd be nice, eh?  Have Letterkenny right here in BC?

• Like 3

Lekkerimaki looks like Markus Naslund.  Also, being Swedish, he should develop his 200' game.  I can see him playing with Miller or Petey in a year or two.  That means we will have a logjam of scoring wingers.  Boeser, Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki.  Don't think there is room for all 3 of them as we need two way hard to play against guys in the top 6 as well.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lekkerimaki looks like Markus Naslund.  Also, being Swedish, he should develop his 200' game.  I can see him playing with Miller or Petey in a year or two.  That means we will have a logjam of scoring wingers.  Boeser, Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki.  Don't think there is room for all 3 of them as we need two way hard to play against guys in the top 6 as well.  

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and remember Markus was a late bloomer.

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and remember Markus was a late bloomer.

I wouldn't say he was a late bloomer.  He tore up the SHL when he was 19 and they kept him there at 20 as well.  Pittsburgh was a loaded team and the cup champs.  He was never going to get a chance to be a top player in Pittsburgh playing behind Jagr.  

When he came to Vancouver, we still had Bure and Mogilny.  So he wasn't the guy here either.  He didn't become the guy until the Russians were traded.  And then he really broke out.  

With Lekkerimaki he could have a chance to play with either Miller or Petey right away.  So that's the main difference between the two.  We will see what happens.  In any event, he will become a 40 goal scorer in the NHL at some point.  He has a Markus Naslund shot...

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn't say he was a late bloomer.  He tore up the SHL when he was 19 and they kept him there at 20 as well.  Pittsburgh was a loaded team and the cup champs.  He was never going to get a chance to be a top player in Pittsburgh playing behind Jagr.  

When he came to Vancouver, we still had Bure and Mogilny.  So he wasn't the guy here either.  He didn't become the guy until the Russians were traded.  And then he really broke out.  

With Lekkerimaki he could have a chance to play with either Miller or Petey right away.  So that's the main difference between the two.  We will see what happens.  In any event, he will become a 40 goal scorer in the NHL at some point.  He has a Markus Naslund shot...

We got 23 yearold Naslund for  23 yearold Stojanov who had 1 nhl point in 62 games and was a -14 safe to say Pitts had given up on Naslund at 23. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/3/2023 at 11:04 PM, Hammertime said:

We got 23 yearold Naslund for  23 yearold Stojanov who had 1 nhl point in 62 games and was a -14 safe to say Pitts had given up on Naslund at 23. 

Found this interesting and looked into the Naslund trade. Naslund had 19g 33a for 52 points in 66 games in 1995-96 season before being traded to the Canucks. I don't know why any team would give up on a player like that who had a total of 151 nhl games at that time (including the 95/96 season) and was a ppg player in the SHL prior to the NHL.

Meanwhile Stojanov had the 1 assist in 58 games for us that season. Although he did have 123 PIMs! maybe Pittsburg really needed the penalty minutes???

That has got to be one of the dumbest trades by a GM of all time. Although interestingly enough, both players were drafted in the 1st round of the 1991 draft with Stojanov goin 7th overall to the Canucks and Naslund going 16th overall to the Penguins.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Sorry. I know this is TOTALLY unrelated to Lekkerimäki and I don't mean to contribute to hijacking the thread but I think I know how this all happened.

Basically the whole reason for the trade was a combination of a few events, very Butterfly Effect(esque?) And the surprising event that triggered us ending up with Naslund?

Eric Lindros being drafted by Quebec.

Stay with me here.

In the 1991 Draft when Lindros was selected 1st and subsequently refused to sign, he was sent back to junior and then traded to Philly just before the 92 Draft. The following season he dressed for his first NHL game and dominated both physically and on the scoresheet. 

Now Pittsburgh, obviously, had their own franchise superstars who were big and physical in their own right but not on the same level as Lindros. They had also recently won the first and second Cups for their team. The Battle of Pennsylvania was always a war in those years.

In the season after the Lockout of 94, Pittsburgh came back with basically all of their big, physical, fighting forwards from the last season they played gone. They discovered during the course of the season that without the guys like Stevens and Tocchet (:classic_ninja:) it was going to be a long, and probably short, playoffs.

Enter the 7th overall pick in the 91 Draft, Alek Stojanov. "Alek Stojanov gained a solid reputation among scouts in juniors for his combination of being a solid scorer and a fearsome brute. He was known for pummelling other players, including first-overall pick Eric Lindros." https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/785170-vancouver-canucks-5-worst-draft-picks-in-franchise-history.amp.html

Alek was struggling in Van and Naslund was getting the showcase treatment playing on the left side of the top line. Pitt GM Craig Patrick knew he had to, most likely, deal with a street fight playoff series against the best team the the East that season, Philly, if they wanted a Cup. 

Naslund had been regarded as Pitts most likely trade chip for that whole season due to him being in a contract year. Patrick then sees a young, bruiser of a forward available on a team fighting just to make the playoffs. He figures to capitalize by moving a young, smallish (by mid 90's NHL standards) forward that is going to need a raise at the end of the year. I also believe that Pitt also just assumed that Naslund's surge in scoring, he only had 15 points in his first 85 NHL game as opposed to the 52 in 66 the year he was traded, was being inflated from playing with Lemuix and Jagr.

Now he can trade that for the one thing he thinks he needs in his top 6, a player that physically dominated Lindros. Even if it had been half a decade since then. I can only assume Pitt figured Stojanov would play at least as well on that top line.

And the rest is history.

Anyway, that's my Tale of The Naslund Trade.  Sorry for the wall of text.

And just to make it tie in to this thread. The moral of story: Don't trade young, smallish, high skill guys like Lekkerimäki, for players that are simply a big body.

Love your descriptive historical behind the curtain views of one of the greatest one sided (positive) trades in canucks history.  Thanks for that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So funny how we stole this guy at 15OA. Do the scouted not know about Mike Bossey? I see four Cups coming to our club very soon.,players like Lekkerimaki are rare. And we have a rare goalie, D, Centres to add. Thank you Allvin for doing the opposite of Benning and allowing our scouts to do their jobs. Damn our future (finally) looks good.

oh. Benning 🤣

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So funny how we stole this guy at 15OA. Do the scouted not know about Mike Bossey? I see four Cups coming to our club very soon.,players like Lekkerimaki are rare. And we have a rare goalie, D, Centres to add. Thank you Allvin for doing the opposite of Benning and allowing our scouts to do their jobs. Damn our future (finally) looks good.

oh. Benning 🤣

Miller also dropped to 15

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

oh. Benning 🤣

Lekkerimaki and Bossy have alot in common...

Mike Bossy

Forward
Born Jan 22 1957 -- Montreal, PQ
Died Apr 14 2022 [Age 65]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 185 [183 cm/84 kg]
Drafted by New York Islanders
- round 1 #15 overall 1977 NHL Amateur Draft

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Sorry. I know this is TOTALLY unrelated to Lekkerimäki and I don't mean to contribute to hijacking the thread but I think I know how this all happened.

Basically the whole reason for the trade was a combination of a few events, very Butterfly Effect(esque?) And the surprising event that triggered us ending up with Naslund?

Eric Lindros being drafted by Quebec.

Stay with me here.

In the 1991 Draft when Lindros was selected 1st and subsequently refused to sign, he was sent back to junior and then traded to Philly just before the 92 Draft. The following season he dressed for his first NHL game and dominated both physically and on the scoresheet. 

Now Pittsburgh, obviously, had their own franchise superstars who were big and physical in their own right but not on the same level as Lindros. They had also recently won the first and second Cups for their team. The Battle of Pennsylvania was always a war in those years.

In the season after the Lockout of 94, Pittsburgh came back with basically all of their big, physical, fighting forwards from the last season they played gone. They discovered during the course of the season that without the guys like Stevens and Tocchet (:classic_ninja:) it was going to be a long, and probably short, playoffs.

Enter the 7th overall pick in the 91 Draft, Alek Stojanov. "Alek Stojanov gained a solid reputation among scouts in juniors for his combination of being a solid scorer and a fearsome brute. He was known for pummelling other players, including first-overall pick Eric Lindros." https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/785170-vancouver-canucks-5-worst-draft-picks-in-franchise-history.amp.html

Alek was struggling in Van and Naslund was getting the showcase treatment playing on the left side of the top line. Pitt GM Craig Patrick knew he had to, most likely, deal with a street fight playoff series against the best team the the East that season, Philly, if they wanted a Cup. 

Naslund had been regarded as Pitts most likely trade chip for that whole season due to him being in a contract year. Patrick then sees a young, bruiser of a forward available on a team fighting just to make the playoffs. He figures to capitalize by moving a young, smallish (by mid 90's NHL standards) forward that is going to need a raise at the end of the year. I also believe that Pitt also just assumed that Naslund's surge in scoring, he only had 15 points in his first 85 NHL game as opposed to the 52 in 66 the year he was traded, was being inflated from playing with Lemuix and Jagr.

Now he can trade that for the one thing he thinks he needs in his top 6, a player that physically dominated Lindros. Even if it had been half a decade since then. I can only assume Pitt figured Stojanov would play at least as well on that top line.

And the rest is history.

Anyway, that's my Tale of The Naslund Trade.  Sorry for the wall of text.

And just to make it tie in to this thread. The moral of story: Don't trade young, smallish, high skill guys like Lekkerimäki, for players that are simply a big body.

Yes I agree.  Naslund was not a fit in Pittsburgh as they already had Jagr and were a smaller team and wanted to get bigger.  Vancouver was the opposite.  We were a big team that needed scoring.  So the trade initially worked for both teams.  Well, at least for a few days anyways...   🤨

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1