Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't mind it.  Garland is a pretty important part of this team and OEL is playing well, even if it's not in Van.  They got rid of some bad contracts on top of it.  

The biggest problem with that trade is that they then hired a defensively incompetent coach.  If you look at the draft, there isn't many players around DG who have done much.  Theres a couple further down the board who have exceeded their draft spot, but it's unlikely anyone goes that far off board where the Canucks picked.

Bottom line is they to get winning and that was a very reasonable price to pay for two very good players and the dumping of some bad contracts.  Again, hamstrung by a terrible coaching hire

Sorry Stawns but I'm with DB on this one. Beagle and Eriksson were both expiring after that year and benning paid the 9th overall to take on an anchor of a contract. We sucked at the time anyway, the play was to ride out Eriksson and everyone knew it. OEL was under performing the contract at the time of the trade and it was never going to get better. Yes OEL was a good player but his best before date had come and gone. Garland is having a good year but I would say this is the first year he has earned his contract.

As DB pointed out, the OEL buyout is likely to cost us a top 4 dman or top 6 fwd in a few years. That decision is on JR and PA though. I was on the 'wait one more year' train as he was injured most of last year. I think that is more to do with his performance than Bruce, these guys are professionals that have been playing hockey at the highest level for decades. One coach doesn't make them a terrible player.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, oel is playing pretty well in Fla.  Had they been patient, he'd probably be playing well in van and the trade would look pretty good 

BB has to be one of the biggest disasters in Canucks history

You do realize that OEL is only making $2.25 million playing in Florida right?  They can afford to play him on the bottom pairing if they want to.  When Florida is fully healthy there are games where OEL plays less than Juulsen does.

If he were still on Vancouver and not bought out, he would be earning $7.2 million. So that means no Soucy, no Cole and no Zadorov. Imagine our defence minus those 3 players but adding OEL and Friedman into the lineup?  

Buying out OEL last summer was the right thing to do as it gave us one freebie year without dead cap space. This year it’s only $123k. So it allowed us to load up the defence with big nasty Dmen who will hopefully take us for a long ride in the playoffs this year. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:10 PM, MatchesMalone said:

Good argument. Real convincing.

I know right.  
Someone throws out a real response, and he replies with, “yeah well you’re wrong because you aren’t ignoring all the facts to come up with the same conclusion as me, so you’re dumb”

Its good stuff. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/19/2024 at 1:56 PM, Warhippy said:

the only good thing to come from that trade is garland and people still want to trade him.  Otherwise we're on the hook for millions in dead cap for the next 7-8 years and gave up a top 10+ pick to do it

To be fair OEL is playing very well. It was a poor decision by this mgmt group to buy him out instead of waiting a year. Just like it was a poor decision not to sell high on Kuzi for a haul last year when it was clearly apparent the books were cooked. Sure you can claim hindsight but many of us were on here pounding the table for those 2 things. Probably only costs us Cole from our current group. 

The trade wasn't great but the buyout was premature and that's on this mgmt. 

So what's the deal did the paperwork get done? Can Lex play in the AHL playoffs? I would prefer if he could do that over going to the worlds. 

• Vintage 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:46 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

You do realize that OEL is only making $2.25 million playing in Florida right?  They can afford to play him on the bottom pairing if they want to.  When Florida is fully healthy there are games where OEL plays less than Juulsen does.

If he were still on Vancouver and not bought out, he would be earning $7.2 million. So that means no Soucy, no Cole and no Zadorov. Imagine our defence minus those 3 players but adding OEL and Friedman into the lineup?  

Buying out OEL last summer was the right thing to do as it gave us one freebie year without dead cap space. This year it’s only $123k. So it allowed us to load up the defence with big nasty Dmen who will hopefully take us for a long ride in the playoffs this year. 

OEL is 3rd in mins for FLA and has roughly the same production as Cole Sousy Zadorov combined

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

OEL is 3rd in mins for FLA and has roughly the same production as Cole Sousy Zadorov combined

I *think* OEL's minutes (cumulative over the season thus far) as a result of injuries where you saw OEL play with Forsling as a "1st pairing" when Ekblad was out.  Fully healthy, I don't think OEL is in their top four.  But I saw this with only a cursory look at Florida.  I don't follow that team THAT closely.  (eg., I could in all likelihood be wrong, just speculating-not stating this as a fact).

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

OELevator is a serious puck sucker. He is a useless piece of trash that a moran GM traded for and a smart GM dumperood. 

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I *think* OEL's minutes (cumulative over the season thus far) as a result of injuries where you saw OEL play with Forsling as a "1st pairing" when Ekblad was out.  Fully healthy, I don't think OEL is in their top four.  But I saw this with only a cursory look at Florida.  I don't follow that team THAT closely.  (eg., I could in all likelihood be wrong, just speculating-not stating this as a fact).

No argument from me. Regardless he's done quite well given the opportunity. My only point was the trade albeit not great was compounded by an impatient buy out. Garland and OEL objectively are good players. 

Now back to regularly scheduled flexing on Lex programming. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

No argument from me. Regardless he's done quite well given the opportunity. My only point was the trade albeit not great was compounded by an impatient buy out. Garland and OEL objectively are good players. 

Again, I'm just speculating, but I think Alvin/JR saw how OEL wilted under Tocchet's coaching in Arizona (back when OEL had legit very high end potential) & didn't want a repeat scenario here (when OEL is a shadow of what he was at his peak in Arizona).  Some guys just strive under certain head coaches (or the reverse).  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Again, I'm just speculating, but I think Alvin/JR saw how OEL wilted under Tocchet's coaching in Arizona (back when OEL had legit very high end potential) & didn't want a repeat scenario here (when OEL is a shadow of what he was at his peak in Arizona).  Some guys just strive under certain head coaches (or the reverse).  

the buyout was also an embarrassment and financial hit to him. When you have to motivate a guy that much to play, its pretty sad. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the buyout was also an embarrassment and financial hit to him. When you have to motivate a guy that much to play, its pretty sad. 

Or- his broken foot healed, and he got a full off season to prep for the new year,.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Or- his broken foot healed, and he got a full off season to prep for the new year,.

I get the argument but he was absolute crap with us too. A very tough spot for management. One thing I feel pretty certain of is we'd be nowhere this year without it. Whatever that is worth ... unfortunately the next 3 years are going to be very hard to compete without some more cap gymnastics though. I don't see how they do it yet.

What a horrible move by JB. Going all in for one year with a shit team in the middle of Covid. Horrendous and just atrocious foresight. Absolutely sealed his exit and he deserved the anger he got for it. Not to mention that idiot traded his whole bag for the wrong side defenceman. What a tool.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We still talking about the Garland trade?

Move on!

The BEST part of this discussion is it's all happening in the Jonathan Lekkerimaki thread 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

It wasn’t impatient.

They wanted two cheap buyout years before they could get in some ELCs and as it seems with Lekkerimäki and Willander they did the right thing.

Then factor in how Tocchet wants it.

Do you teally want the situation we had with Green and Benning where the pieces coming in didn’t fit how Green wanted to play? Eriksson par example.

Kuz and OEL was players Tocchet didn’t want so management got rid. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

What a horrible move by JB. Going all in for one year

Isn't that exactly what new management is doing now?

This year, or maybe the next season, but now the 2 seasons after that are screwed.

People really seem to have trouble with the fact that players don't fully recover from some  injuries, for a long time.

Just a few examples

Bieksa took at least a year to heal from that skate cut.

Mikheyev is only now rounding into form, after leg surgery.

OEL - broken foot, no off season training.

- just missing a training camp- for what ever reason, messes a lot of players up for months.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 minutes ago, Gurn said:

People really seem to have trouble with the fact that players don't fully recover from some  injuries, for a long time.

11 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

It wasn’t impatient.

They wanted two cheap buyout years before they could get in some ELCs and as it seems with Lekkerimäki and Willander they did the right thing.

Then factor in how Tocchet wants it.

Do you teally want the situation we had with Green and Benning where the pieces coming in didn’t fit how Green wanted to play? Eriksson par example.

Kuz and OEL was players Tocchet didn’t want so management got rid. 

Why re sign Kuz then? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1