Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

28 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

So does this mean he's officially joining Abby and won't be representing Sweden at the World's?

That's the question I was going to ask. Would love to see how he can do at the AHL level.

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

So does this mean he's officially joining Abby and won't be representing Sweden at the World's?

Part of the deal for him to join Abbotsford is probably that if he gets the call he's allowed to leave the team to go play at World's.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Does anyone know if he is actually eligible to play in the playoffs for Abby?

I would assume yes since Johansson did last year after finishing his SHL season.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He will be here for the entire AHL regular season.  Not sure about playoffs.  He wants to go back to Sweden and try and make the Swedish roster for the World Championships, which begin on May 10.  Abby's season ends on April 20.  They have 10 games left.  So he will stay until the end of the season...

• Cheers 1

He will practice and maybe even play a game but the plan is for him to go back to Worlds. Canucks felt this was better for him than training on his own in Sweden.

Edited by elvis15

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He will be here for the entire AHL regular season.  Not sure about playoffs.  He wants to go back to Sweden and try and make the Swedish roster for the World Championships, which begin on May 10.  Abby's season ends on April 20.  They have 10 games left.  So he will stay until the end of the season...

Didn't I read somewhere he was only gong to be here for only 10-12 days or something ... or am I just fabricating that in my mind?

Edited by Gawdzukes

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Didn't I read somewhere he was only gong to be here for only 10-12 days or something ... or am I just fabricating that in my mind?

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

locals can go watch him play in Abby.  Bunch of home games in first week of Apr. 

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/schedule

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Redhdlois said:

It's these little fine details that gives a team it's strong development program.  I have a lot of faith in this management group given how well they developed guys from within in Pittsburgh.  We're seeing that effect here already with Hoglander and Podkolzin... it's fantastic!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Love how this management is so proactive in developing our players. No stones left unturned. Even just getting a game or 2 in Abby will give him some valuable experience and a bit of a leg up come training camp. Doesn't hurt too that hes gonna be put through the paces by the twins. Hart, Art Ross trophies says they know what they are doing

It seems like a perfect fit for the twins. They are clearly very passionate about development and were legends for always being the fittest players at training camp. Plus it's a position that fans shouldn't ever turn on them in (like they started to with Linden).

It's exciting to finally be giving the player development department the resources it's needed. I'm excited to see them work with Lekkerimaki.

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He wore 88 at Orebro.  Nils Aman took that number so that's why he probably switched.  44 is half of 88...

Doesn't seem too picky about his numbers. Has always worn 23 at the international level. He was 40 with Djurgardens' junior team, but has always worn 88 since turning pro, except internationally.

1 minute ago, MatchesMalone said:

Doesn't seem too picky about his numbers. Has always worn 23 at the international level. He was 40 with Djurgardens' junior team, but has always worn 88 since turning pro, except internationally.

I don't believe you are allowed to wear 88 internationally unless you are a pro.  I think only the USA program allows it.  Even Bedard wore 16 at the world juniors...

He wore 40 as his first number so I actually think that is his preferred number.  He wore 88 this year because Elias Ekstrom was already wearing 40 at Orebro.  

I'm guessing he probably wanted 40 or 88, but of course Petey is 40 and Aman is 88, so he went with 44...