Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

On 7/9/2024 at 3:58 PM, Psycho_Path said:

He's as ready as Petey ever was. It's up to Lekkerimaki to seize the opportunity that will be given him and not let it slip away.  DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki all day everyday.   His skating, lethal shots and 2 way game remind me of Vaxjo Petey.  And Petey played the right wing as well.  

Edited by Pure961089

14 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

He's as ready as Petey ever was. It's up to Lekkerimaki to seize the opportunity that will be given him and not let it slip away.  DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki all day everyday.   His skating, lethal shots and 2 way game remind me of Vaxjo Petey.  And Petey played the right wing as well.  

Canucks are a much deeper team than when EP40 broke in. Because of the UFA signings and because Lekker can be moved without a waiver I suspect he starts in Abby as RT evaluates what he has now. It won't hurt Lekker's development to spend a couple of months in Abby. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Canucks are a much deeper team than when EP40 broke in. Because of the UFA signings and because Lekker can be moved without a waiver I suspect he starts in Abby as RT evaluates what he has now. It won't hurt Lekker's development to spend a couple of months in Abby. 

Edited by Pure 961089

21 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Only if he's ready. I'm sure that's one reason Sprong was signed to give Lekkerimaki proper time to get used to North American ice. Though if he is ready that would do absolute wonders for us. 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Only if he's ready. I'm sure that's one reason Sprong was signed to give Lekkerimaki proper time to get used to North American ice. Though if he is ready that would do absolute wonders for us. 

the AHL is a meat grinder, look what they did to my boy Podz.  I shutter to think of goons cross-checking Lekk into the boards, at least with the big club he can be somewhat sheltered. Lekk would be coming into a much better situation than what Petey came into.  But even he missed some games in his rookie season.  It happens though, look at Bedard. There's no guarantee he will have an injury free season no matter where he plays. being surrounded by journeymen vets instead of inexperienced kids is probably better for him but ultimately it will be his play that dictates where he plays. Also you can copy/paste what they said about Petey not being ready and needing to put on weight just switch the names from Petey tp Lekk.  Lekks team was a bubble team Vaxjo was a much deeper team.  He has so much confidence like Petey had and so much obvious talent I can see him forcing Tocch's hand.  

2 hours ago, Pears said:

how do i close an alt account that's only causing confusion?

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

the AHL is a meat grinder, look what they did to my boy Podz.  I shutter to think of goons cross-checking Lekk into the boards, at least with the big club he can be somewhat sheltered. Lekk would be coming into a much better situation than what Petey came into.  But even he missed some games in his rookie season.  It happens though, look at Bedard. There's no guarantee he will have an injury free season no matter where he plays. being surrounded by journeymen vets instead of inexperienced kids is probably better for him but ultimately it will be his play that dictates where he plays. Also you can copy/paste what they said about Petey not being ready and needing to put on weight just switch the names from Petey tp Lekk.  Lekks team was a bubble team Vaxjo was a much deeper team.  He has so much confidence like Petey had and so much obvious talent I can see him forcing Tocch's hand.  

Lekkerimäki is not ready for NHL and Canucks are not ready cap wise for him. If they can delay the ELC for another year, that allows us to get Boeser, Demko & Hughes extensions on the books and the OEL cap hit to drop off...before we need to give him real money. He will be a welcome addition in those tight years.

AHL is rough, sure, but Podz looked better this year feeling free to throw his body, be agressively defensive, and that hit he took made him more aware of threats coming in. AHL is rough but if Petey had spent some time there we wouldnt see him falling so much.

Edited by EastCoastExpress

20 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Lekkerimäki is not ready for NHL and Canucks are not ready cap wise for him. If they can delay the ELC for another year, that allows us to get Boeser, Demko & Hughes extensions on the books and the OEL cap hit to drop off...before we need to give him real money. He will be a welcome addition in those tight years.

AHL is rough, sure, but Podz looked better this year feeling free to throw his body, be agressively defensive, and that hit he took made him more aware of threats coming in. AHL is rough but if Petey had spent some time there we wouldnt see him falling so much.

That's what they said about Petey. He's not ready, needs more time, too skinny.  He will decide if he's ready.  If he goes out there and lights it up is he not ready? Lekkerimaki hasn't played 1 game in the NHL and already has one of the best shots in the league. It sounds absurd but his shot is just that special. .  He was 176lbs until his rookie season.  Lekkerimaki is every bit as ready as Petey was.  Petey is a superstar whether he falls down or doesn't. 😁 And his cap hit is peanuts. They have more than enough cap space. His 2 way game is NHL ready, his skating (lateral movement and edgework as well) and shot are star level. His hockey IQ is very good as well.  He's the most talented option for Petey, any other player will be an inferior option because nobody we have other than Hughes, Miller or Boeser has more talent than Lekkerimaki.  

Edited by Pure961089

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

That's what they said about Petey. He's not ready, needs more time, too skinny.  He will decide if he's ready.  If he goes out there and lights it up is he not ready? Lekkerimaki hasn't played 1 game in the NHL and already has one of the best shots in the league. It sounds absurd but his shot is just that special. .  He was 176lbs until his rookie season.  Lekkerimaki is every bit as ready as Petey was.  Petey is a superstar whether he falls down or doesn't. 😁 And his cap hit is peanuts. They have more than enough cap space. His 2 way game is NHL ready, his skating (lateral movement and edgework as well) and shot are star level. His hockey IQ is very good as well.  He's the most talented option for Petey, any other player will be an inferior option because nobody we have other than Hughes, Miller or Boeser has more talent than Lekkerimaki.  

I am not talking about his cap space now, I am talking 3 or 4 years. if its a bump in 3 years its problematic, if its in 4 years its do-able.

1 minute ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I am not talking about his cap space now, I am talking 3 or 4 years. if its a bump in 3 years its problematic, if its in 4 years its do-able.

This is a fair point. But from a management perspective I think that means: go out and fill the depth positions well enough that he has a hard time making the team, not keep him down unjustly even if he deserves to make the team.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

this spring and playoffs felt like Petey was not ready. Maybe next year? was this enough hardship? I really hope so

13 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Be honest, if he blows expectations out of the water and does make the team that'd be pretty exciting wouldn't it?  I know Lekkerimaki and D Petey could play another year but they're both 20 now, and that's the time teams start giving them games to see what they have.  I personally think D Petey right now is our 3rd best defenceman.  And Lekkerimaki is our 4 most talented players in the organization. He could compliment our existing talent so well.  But we'll see, they still have to earn it. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CaptainQuin said:

This kid will be so good ! So much talent , I can’t wait 

That is exactly my point, no one can wait.... both Podz and Hogs would have been better to grow a bit in AHL instead of getting sent down and burning their natural confidence. We all had the same hope for both Podz and Hogs

I think we need a few more years for both to be Core 2.0 players and hope we all have the patience for that.

10 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

That is exactly my point, no one can wait.... both Podz and Hogs would have been better to grow a bit in AHL instead of getting sent down and burning their natural confidence. We all had the same hope for both Podz and Hogs

I think we need a few more years for both to be Core 2.0 players and hope we all have the patience for that.

He's got the best or at least as good a shot as Petey.   It's a special, unique, one of a kind shot.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I fully agree to let him play in the AHL until he’s ready , I just think he will be ready next year . This year is definitely to early to bring him in 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Be honest, if he blows expectations out of the water and does make the team that'd be pretty exciting wouldn't it?  I know Lekkerimaki and D Petey could play another year but they're both 20 now, and that's the time teams start giving them games to see what they have.  I personally think D Petey right now is our 3rd best defenceman.  And Lekkerimaki is our 4 most talented players in the organization. He could compliment our existing talent so well.  But we'll see, they still have to earn it. 

I have been an enthusiastic Canucks fan for 40 years. I really understand how pumped you are for another Hughes or Petterson or Boeser or Bure rookie year.... But Sedins were pushed too quickly and the media and fans were all over them for the first 3 years. Was horrible!

Sedin Sisters. Canucks fans calling them Sisters.

With signing Boeser, Demko and Hughes long term extensions (the rest of our current CORE) , we need our CORE 2.0 players to be starting on ELC's for those years and as the Cap goes up we get to keep everyone.

2 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I have been an enthusiastic Canucks fan for 40 years. I really understand how pumped you are for another Hughes or Petterson or Boeser or Bure rookie year.... But Sedins were pushed too quickly and the media and fans were all over them for the first 3 years. Was horrible!

Sedin Sisters. Canucks fans calling them Sisters.

With signing Boeser, Demko and Hughes long term extensions (the rest of our current CORE) , we need our CORE 2.0 players to be starting on ELC's for those years and as the Cap goes up we get to keep everyone.

We need more players on ELC's right now, the writings on the wall for Podkolzin and we need more inexpensive talent to win in this window were currently in.  The Miller, Demko window is the next 3 years. When Alvin decided he was going for it many thought it was a bad idea.  But we went through with the plan anyway and it's not the time to back pedal.  Were strapped in the rollercoaster and were climbing up. 

• MillerTime 1

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

He's got the best or at least as good a shot as Petey.   It's a special shot.

I for sure love him, love his shot. Reminds me of Boeser more than Petey to be honest. Really looking forward to him and Willigar getting here. And what about Ratu? I have seen many snips like this.... but ready for AHL does not mean ready for NHL. Bedard has a +- of -40 this year....

Do you think Canucks management are not doing the math on cheap ELC vs Risk management? We need the cheap ELC's in about 3 or 4 years. If they sign Boeser till end of JT contract, our window is the next 7 years instead of just next year.

23 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

We need more players on ELC's right now, the writings on the wall for Podkolzin and we need more inexpensive talent to win in this window were currently in.  The Miller, Demko window is the next 3 years. When Alvin decided he was going for it many thought it was a bad idea.  But we went through with the plan anyway and it's not the time to back pedal.  Were strapped in the rollercoaster and were climbing up. 

I dont think the window is that small. If they let Boeser go, then the window is this year or bust.

However if they keep this core with JT, Boeser, Demko, Hughes, and now Debrusk with Petey, our window stretches out to 2031.

CAP management is key, and with Poolman falling off when Boeser extension comes alive, its Do-Able.

We need to reserve our ELC's till after the OEL hit, thats when we need them. We can do rental UFA's till then.

It was a mistake to spend so much on Lindholm, but the past is the past.

Playing Podkolzin too early might be the lesson... we may lose him on waivers. Might even lose Hogs because he is peaking early and will get $$$.

Edited by EastCoastExpress

17 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I for sure love him, love his shot. Reminds me of Boeser more than Petey to be honest. Really looking forward to him and Willigar getting here. And what about Ratu? I have seen many snips like this.... but ready for AHL does not mean ready for NHL. Bedard has a +- of -40 this year....

Do you think Canucks management are not doing the math on cheap ELC vs Risk management? We need the cheap ELC's in about 3 or 4 years. If they sign Boeser till end of JT contract, our window is the next 7 years instead of just next year.

Different team.  I don't think Petey and DeBrusk are going to let Lekkerimaki get a minus 40 😄 plus I think Lekkerimaki's maturity and 2 way game is better than Bedard's.   I don't know if the Canucks sign Boeser to a long term deal, they have a lot of players on long term contracts already.  That's why they need to bring the young in. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I dont think the window is that small. If they let Boeser go, then the window is this year or bust.

However if they keep this core with JT, Boeser, Demko, Hughes, and now Debrusk with Petey, our window stretches out to 2031.

CAP management is key, and with Poolman falling off when Boeser extension comes alive, its Do-Able.

We need to reserve our ELC's till after the OEL hit, thats when we need them. We can do rental UFA's till then.

Playing Podkolzin too early might be the lesson... we may lose him on waivers. Might even lose Hogs because he is peaking early and will get $$$.

Just an observation, I keep seeing you saying to reserve our ELC's for after the OEL years as an argument to keep Lekkerimäki in the minors next year, but he's already on his ELC...

12 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

If we can sign Hughes, Demko and Boeser. We won't be able to without cheap ELC contracts.  I see what you mean but realistically the window isn't going to 2031. Podkolzin was ruined when he wasn't developed at all in SKA Russia. Those 2 years changed his psyche.  He had a good rookie year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Just an observation, I keep seeing you saying to reserve our ELC's for after the OEL years as an argument to keep Lekkerimäki in the minors next year, but he's already on his ELC...

Right but ELC in minors doesnt affect NHL ELC terms. So for example, Podz is at risk for waivers because he already played X number of games 2 years ago.

Silvos is a good example. The reason why we could extend him so cheap is because of # of games played regular season.

Of course I am not an expert, but if we play Lek for 40 games this year he gets a big contract a year earlier. (2027 I think at the end of his ELC)

Silvos was on a similar ELC and they got him signed Cheap for 2 more years because of limited NHL games.

30 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Different team.  I don't think Petey and DeBrusk are going to let Lekkerimaki get a minus 40 😄 plus I think Lekkerimaki's maturity and 2 way game is better than Bedard's.   I don't know if the Canucks sign Boeser to a long term deal, they have a lot of players on long term contracts already.  That's why they need to bring the young in. 

The thing about long term contracts, they look bad right now but with a couple years inflation and the player getting better, they look amazing.

Look at JT Miller?

Even Bo Horvat at 8.5 for 7 years would be amazing right now.

Debrusk contract is going to pay divedends in 2 or 3 years, maybe even this year.

I did not like the EP40 amount, but realist in me knows he will earn it over the term. Canucks need some long term core, fill the blanks with UFA's and ELC's.

If you look at the Panthers, they have at least 4 signed for the next 6 years, and have cap space. Toronto, the opposite, 4 or 5 overpaid long term contracts.

Edmonton will be in the problem too, as they did not sign Drycycle and MdWhiner for long enough contracts and will have to pay soon

• Cheers 1