Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly, I see Garland going before Hoglander. He's only got this season and next on his deal and I'm not convinced he'll be retained beyond it. This isn't a knock on Garland, I just see him wanting a raise if he keeps his production up and the Canucks really need to find ways to make space for their younger forwards (Raty, Lekkerimaki, Hoglander, and so on) going forward.

Obviously the young guys gotta earn it, but Garland will be 30 by the time his deal is up, he'll probably be looking for his last sizeable contract. 

The key to all this is Hoglander taking a step forward and showing he can eventually take Garland's place, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Garland is playing elsewhere in a couple years regardless. 

I am warming up to this idea of moving Garlund. If we can trade him for a good pick and include Poolman, and bank all that cap space till trade deadline.

Grab some nice rental UFA's to fill any gaps in the spring. We seem to have alot of forwards after the FA

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lekkerimäki was also playing with AHL players. Put him on a line with Petey and he could be a 30 goal scorer right out of the gate similar to Boeser. 

I would love for that to be true, but I think fans like you and alf are setting the bar too high. Just don't get bent out of shape if Lekkerimaki isn't a 30 goal scorer this season, or next. 

Could EP turn him into a 30 goal scorer this season? Seems like a reach at this point. 

Throwing Marner and Pastrnak comps around is a bit much considering he didn't produce a single point. Obviously there were positives in his 1st game, and you can say whatever about his linemates (I thought Raty and Bains were good), but changing them isn't going to turn any of his 10 or so shot attempts into goals. He missed those all on his own. I'm chalking that up to adjusting to less time and space on small ice. 

He can't possibly miss every shot forever vs AHL goalies (unless he does) and hopefully he drops a hatty tonight - but we shouldn't expect that to happen. He's still "new" to smaller ice and adapting his game. 

K I rambled on a bit there. 

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I am warming up to this idea of moving Garlund. If we can trade him for a good pick and include Poolman, and bank all that cap space till trade deadline.

Grab some nice rental UFA's to fill any gaps in the spring. We seem to have alot of forwards after the FA

If we can move off all of Garland’s contract (trade for picks/prospects) then it’s a good deal for us. We could then go out and get a right shot 3C, who is good on faceoffs and pk and a shutdown guy. If Garland could be moved directly got such a player, that’s good too. But Garland’s cap would be better allocated to a guy like him but who is a right shot, shutdown 3C. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

ALSO!

The best part is the Canucks definitely do not have to rush him and can afford Lekker the time to develop his game. If he can put up Reid Boucher numbers in Abby this year, that would be a big positive and we could then (almost) bank on him making an impact in 25-26.

you mean in the last 10 games of the season and the Stanley cup run.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we can move off all of Garland’s contract (trade for picks/prospects) then it’s a good deal for us. We could then go out and get a right shot 3C, who is good on faceoffs and pk and a shutdown guy. If Garland could be moved directly got such a player, that’s good too. But Garland’s cap would be better allocated to a guy like him but who is a right shot, shutdown 3C. 

I think we have enough talent to be able to give up Garlund/poolman and ACCRUE that cap space till the TDL. That 7.5Million at the TDL allows you to get a $15M guy. Imagine Crosby coming over? As a rental? At the TDL Crosby only counts as $4m of his contract, there is another 11M to spend

Pens can still sign him after July 1 if we cant afford him for the new contract.

Edited by EastCoastExpress
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I would love for that to be true, but I think fans like you and alf are setting the bar too high. Just don't get bent out of shape if Lekkerimaki isn't a 30 goal scorer this season, or next. 

Could EP turn him into a 30 goal scorer this season? Seems like a reach at this point. 

Throwing Marner and Pastrnak comps around is a bit much considering he didn't produce a single point. Obviously there were positives in his 1st game, and you can say whatever about his linemates (I thought Raty and Bains were good), but changing them isn't going to turn any of his 10 or so shot attempts into goals. He missed those all on his own. I'm chalking that up to adjusting to less time and space on small ice. 

He can't possibly miss every shot forever vs AHL goalies (unless he does) and hopefully he drops a hatty tonight - but we shouldn't expect that to happen. He's still "new" to smaller ice and adapting his game. 

K I rambled on a bit there. 

Boeser had the advantage of playing for years on the smaller ice. But talent wise, Lekkerimäki is at least equal to him. A 20 year old Boeser had 29 goals in 62 games, on pace for 38 goals. It’s not inconceivable that a 20 year old Lekkerimäki can get 30 goals playing with Petey. 

You are saying Lekkerimäki couldn’t finish off 10 chances. Which is true. Smaller ice, less time to shoot, lots of factors in play.  However, he had 10 chances. Only a legit NHL goal scorer could put themselves in a position to have so many chances. Once he gets his timing corrected, watch out. He has all the makings of a 50 goal scorer in the NHL. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser had the advantage of playing for years on the smaller ice. But talent wise, Lekkerimäki is at least equal to him. A 20 year old Boeser had 29 goals in 62 games, on pace for 38 goals. It’s not inconceivable that a 20 year old Lekkerimäki can get 30 goals playing with Petey. 

You are saying Lekkerimäki couldn’t finish off 10 chances. Which is true. Smaller ice, less time to shoot, lots of factors in play.  However, he had 10 chances. Only a legit NHL goal scorer could put themselves in a position to have so many chances. Once he gets his timing corrected, watch out. He has all the makings of a 50 goal scorer in the NHL. 

Boeser also started in the NHL with the last 9 games of the season and got 4 goals 1 A, then really ramped up the following rookie year.

Lekk could do the same this year, just in time for Playoffs.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Lekkerimäki sticks with the big club, we can move Sprong to the 3rd line. Then we trade Garland and Poolman to open up $6.5 million in cap space. We get a right shot 3C from the deal and move Blueger to 4C. Suter can play with Miller and Boeser. 

We could have over $10 million in cap space at the deadline to go all in and get a top 4 Dman and even a top 6 forward. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I hope so

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Lekkerimäki sticks with the big club, we can move Sprong to the 3rd line. Then we trade Garland and Poolman to open up $6.5 million in cap space. We get a right shot 3C from the deal and move Blueger to 4C. Suter can play with Miller and Boeser. 

We could have over $10 million in cap space at the deadline to go all in and get a top 4 Dman and even a top 6 forward. 

I dont even think we need a 3C or 4C right now, Sasson could come up in case of injury, or Aman... I would rather allocate as much cap as possible to the TDL because we dont know who will be injured at that time...Heck, maybe we dont even move Garlund/Poolman till the TDL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I do not understand how people suggest on a regular basis that Suter should return to the Miller line. He is not a top 6 player, he should not be there. Especially on a possible contender. 

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I do not understand how people suggest on a regular basis that Suter should return to the Miller line. He is not a top 6 player, he should not be there. Especially on a possible contender. 

Dont worry, with the forward options we have this year. I think Suter was good with JT/Brock because of his 2-way, and decent faceoff if Miller kicked out.

Suter was better than Depizza guy.

But I think Heinen, Joshua, and even Hogs will get a chance this year.

Someone posted some lousy stats about Hogs with JT/Boeser but they must have used a previous year stats? Hogs played with Petey on his off side (not very well) or on the 4th line last year. Unless I blacked out. (very possible, home games start at 11pm here)

This is a great conversation, just in the wrong thread. But if Lekk comes up, it does allow some movement..... just on the RW not the LW which is what JT/Brock need