Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

You must be feeling a lot better about this pick now? 

I mean I wasn't thrilled watching Bichsel get the buzzer beater off his blast the other night. 

I'm still not over the moon with the pick. But I'm rooting like hell for Lekkerimaki he's our guy. After watching him live in Penticton I'm a bit more confident in him becoming a player. Nothing would make me happier than watching him succeed. And I think more importantly I can finally see him fitting into this roster. 

Edit: I know this kid can crank the puck. Goals will come I want to see him get those greasy ones. IMO if he can beat goalies clean and pick up loose change he will be a player one or the other then I'm skeptical. Loved his assist on the ENg. That was a high IQ play he could have just thrown it down the ice but he played a soft playable puck off the boards for Suter. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

On 9/25/2024 at 8:43 AM, Hammertime said:

I mean I wasn't thrilled watching Bichsel get the buzzer beater off his blast the other night. 

I'm still not over the moon with the pick. But I'm rooting like hell for Lekkerimaki he's our guy. After watching him live in Penticton I'm a bit more confident in him becoming a player. Nothing would make me happier than watching him succeed. And I think more importantly I can finally see him fitting into this roster. 

Edit: I know this kid can crank the puck. Goals will come I want to see him get those greasy ones. IMO if he can beat goalies clean and pick up loose change he will be a player one or the other then I'm skeptical. Loved his assist on the ENg. That was a high IQ play he could have just thrown it down the ice but he played a soft playable puck off the boards for Suter. 

I do like tracking Kemell in comparison to Lekkeriamki.

over Bischel but I know he was your guy come draft day.

im sure our coaching group would have like Bischel too. 

im really like JL though. Love the way he reads plays, thinks the game. Even if he doesn’t make the team can see how in 1-2 years when he gets a little stronger / mature he should be a solid nhl winger. 

i think smart players like him will. Kinda like boeser. 

i don’t think he’s ready for nhl puck and board battles or the grind of the 82 game season yet though. So I’m hoping he goes to Abby rn.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I do like tracking Kemell in comparison to Lekkeriamki.

over Bischel but I know he was your guy come draft day.

im sure our coaching group would have like Bischel too. 

im really like JL though. Love the way he reads plays, thinks the game. Even if he doesn’t make the team can see how in 1-2 years when he gets a little stronger / mature he should be a solid nhl winger. 

i think smart players like him will. Kinda like boeser. 

i don’t think he’s ready for nhl puck and board battles or the grind of the 82 game season yet though. So I’m hoping he goes to Abby rn.

It's all good it's in the past. 

I really wanted us to take a behemoth D that year.

But   Alvin proved he could get a guy like Big Zed without spending a high pick. 

We will see now if Vinny can play with Hugs. 

As for Kemell I really like the kid. He's just so abraisive. As a canucks fan I naturally gravitate towards pests. 

But Mak has looked real good snake bit but if he keeps at it points will start to flow for him. I'm liking his play off the puck more and more. This was a savy play off the boards instead of throwing it down the ice that allowed Suter to skate onto the puck and pop it in the EN.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

It's all good it's in the past. 

I really wanted us to take a behemoth D that year.

But   Alvin proved he could get a guy like Big Zed without spending a high pick. 

We will see now if Vinny can play with Hugs. 

As for Kemell I really like the kid. He's just so abraisive. As a canucks fan I naturally gravitate towards pests. 

But Mak has looked real good snake bit but if he keeps at it points will start to flow for him. I'm liking his play off the puck more and more. This was a savy play off the boards instead of throwing it down the ice that allowed Suter to skate onto the puck and pop it in the EN.

I was/am team Bischel at that point as well.  The kid is just something else and insulated in Dallas will be an amazing piece on their blueline.

Let's hope Lek can walk him in the playoffs repeatedly and put Dallas on their ass when it comes down to it

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was/am team Bischel at that point as well.  The kid is just something else and insulated in Dallas will be an amazing piece on their blueline.

Let's hope Lek can walk him in the playoffs repeatedly and put Dallas on their ass when it comes down to it

Absolutely. He had better walk him. Being on the receiving end of this would be no bueno for him. 

https://www.instagram.com/txstarshockey/reel/C-dReXWuXF-/

Leks hungry though and you can tell he's got some fire/arrgance to his game. I like that. Usually a sign of a good player. He's able to process the game at NHL speed. Hoping for a big year for him in Abby 

• Cheers 1

I think the whole debate around whether he should or shouldn't make the team is a little wrong-headed. I mean I guess it's just what fans do, but if I put my GM hat on, it seems the only thing you can really do is make the team as strong and as deep as you can, and leave it to the coach's decision, and the prospect just has to force veterans out. And I know there's going to be injuries, but even still, there are older prospects with experience and have been bouncing around the pros for years. Many times it's make or break for those guys, so it's up to the top prospects to make themselves undeniable.

Of course that's not always how it goes IRL, as there are owners and marketing and cap hits and other factors involved, but that should be the ideal situation for any team.

Detroit used to be the model, then maybe Tampa for a time, but now days it's Dallas that is consistently strong enough to afford to really let their prospects simmer, as evidenced by Stankoven and Bourque dominating AHL this past year. Bichsel is going to be a valuable piece for them as well, as the heir apparent to Jani Haakanpa, who was successor to Jamie Oleksisk. A top four in a couple years of Heiskanen, Lindell, Harley, Bichsel is going to be really tough for anyone to handle in the playoffs.

Edit: just realized this probably looks like I'm replying to or disagreeing with someone in this recent conversation, but actually it just kicked me off into other stuff I've been thinking about previous discussions.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

I think the whole debate around whether he should or shouldn't make the team is a little wrong-headed. I mean I guess it's just what fans do, but if I put my GM hat on, it seems the only thing you can really do is make the team as strong and as deep as you can, and leave it to the coach's decision, and the prospect just has to force veterans out. And I know there's going to be injuries, but even still, there are older prospects with experience and have been bouncing around the pros for years. Many times it's make or break for those guys, so it's up to the top prospects to make themselves undeniable.

Of course that's not always how it goes IRL, as there are owners and marketing and cap hits and other factors involved, but that should be the ideal situation for any team. Detroit used to be the model, but now days it's Dallas that is consistently strong enough to afford to really let their prospects simmer, as evidenced by Stankoven and Bourque dominating AHL this past year. Bichsel is going to be a valuable piece for them as well, as the heir apparent to Jani Haakanpa, who was successor to Jamie Oleksisk. A top four in a couple years of Heiskanen, Lindell, Harley, Bichsel is going to be really tough for anyone to handle in the playoffs.

Edit: just realized this probably looks like I'm replying to or disagreeing with someone in this recent conversation, but actually it just kicked me off into other stuff I've been thinking about previous discussions.

Doesn't look that way imo, I think your post simply speaks to the larger picture, what's happening with GM's, prospects, and franchises around the rest of the league. Sometimes it really is make or break for guys, or there are other prospects who have done their time and who also deserve an opportunity. Raty's a good example of this, he had a great year in Abbotsford last season, should he sent back down just because Lekkerimaki was a higher, "sexier", pick? 

Having Lekkerimaki go to Abbotsford and potentially dominate like Stankover did would be a good thing, and the best case scenario imo. It was common for years back on CDC to speak to how Detroit let prospects stew, and how the Canucks should take a similar approach, I still think we should. If we had even just a few years back maybe Podkolzin would have turned out a bit differently. Guys shouldn't necessarily skip playing AHL hockey because they're high picks, sometimes paying their dues getting better reps in the minors (more games, more minutes, bigger opportunities than they'd get in the NHL) is ultimately better for their development. 

Hockey fans, and I'm guilty of this too, are often excited with the newest, highest drafted, shiniest baubles their franchises have. Happened with Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes. Sometimes it works out, sometimes they end up like Podkolzin. All first round picks aren't going to be exception like the aforementiond three were. Hell, even Virtanen and McCann may have ultimately been better served by a more patient approach. It's easy to look at what McCann became, but maybe he'd have gotten there faster if the Canucks had been patient, and maybe Virtanen would have turned into something more. 

I understand the value of ELC contracts, but sometimes it's better to weigh what's best for a prospect over the value an ELC may (or may not) provide to a franchise's NHL roster. There are many examples of this paying off for franchises, it's been happening regularly for Dallas as you've mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I feel like unless Lekkerimaki looks like an absolute superstar right out of the gate that you can't possibly justify sending to Abbotsford then he should spend a year in the AHL, I think it's better for his development and makes him more likely to reach his full potential, and also with the OEL buyout taking up a bigger chunk of the salary cap for a couple of years we are going to be depending quite bit on guys like him producing on their ELC's for a few years. 

Edited by CaribouCanuck
  • ThereItIs 1

On 9/27/2024 at 10:12 PM, CaribouCanuck said:

I feel like unless Lekkerimaki looks like an absolute superstar right out of the gate that you can't possibly justify sending to Abbotsford then he should spend a year in the AHL, I think it's better for his development and makes him more likely to reach his full potential, and also with the OEL buyout taking up a bigger chunk of the salary cap for a couple of years we are going to be depending quite bit on guys like him producing on their ELC's for a few years. 

Totally agree. This is a team that feels it's just at the start of its contending window. Lekkerimäki can be a big part of this squad in future, but right now the team is deep enough that it doesn't need to rush him.

Stankoven is a great model to shoot for - play so well in the minors that you force management's hand. If the Canucks are fumbling for offense down the stretch, this kid could very well be playing games at Rogers Arena in late spring.

• Like 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought Lekkerimaki showed well in this game. Going down is the best move but in many other situations he could've very well been sticking around. Overall a very good camp given its his first pro season & we are hoping to contend.

The quickness with which he reads the play & reacts is something I didn't appreciate in his game until seeing him at this level, this kid is going to be a player. I don't doubt it at all. Just needs to get stronger & adjust to the rigors of the pro schedule. 

Posted this in another thread, but man overall I was very impressed. This kid looks like a pro & he's still so young. Even on the defense end he showed some very good awareness.

He's a player.

• Vintage 1

On 10/2/2024 at 5:51 AM, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Like how heavily this FO is leaning on a Swedish pipeline. They almost always seem to be committed, well-trained, minimal drama, young pros. & there's a strong Van legacy that they all seem proud to buy into.

Agreed - but now they need to turn that legacy into winning a cup

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1