[Article] A trade to ‘reward’ the Canucks would be the wrong takeaway from their early success

RWJC

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Completely agree with this.  

Some posters on here seem to be crazy horny about wanting to see the Canucks going for it this year and blowing up the farm in the process (or tearing off the trousers with their teeth so to speak).    

I'm excited as the next guy over what we've done so far but slow and steady is the name of the game.   Alvin has done a pretty good job of replenishing the cupboards, and we've got guys like Raty, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, and Willander in the system waiting in the wings.  It's not inconceivable at all to believe that all three of the aforementioned forwards could step into our line up next season on ELC's........and that would be a huge advantage obviously.

So, what would I like to see?

1) Canucks make the 1st or 2nd round this year.

2) Pettersson and Hronek sign long term deals with us in the Summer.  

3) Kuzmenko signs a long term deal with us when his contract expires

4) Hughes signs a long term deal with us when his contract expires

5) Hoglander, Podkolzin, Willander, Raty, and Lekkerimaki all become long term core players for us.  

6) Three years from now as Miller leaves his peak, he becomes a role player for us and continues to be a leader.  

7) Silovs develops and successfully takes over the reigns when Demko becomes a UFA (or, we sign Demko to a 4 year deal).   

-The Canucks continuously and progressively become more competitive over these next few seasons.

-We are able to retain our core players

-We slowly and progressively replace sub-par contracts (i.e. Myers) with more cost-effective players.    

Even if the Canucks 'blow up the farm' and go for it this season, we aren't going to be better than Colorado, Vegas, and Tampa Bay.   

So, ultimately responding to your post, and the spirit of this thread, I wouldn't trade promising young assets for 'win now' players from the Flames.  If it makes financial sense in the off-season, take a run at Chris Tanev.  No need to spend an arm and a leg for Rasmus Andersson or McKenzie Weeger.  

Pretty much agree with everything here, although for me, the only 2 I wouldn't trade under any circumstances would be Willander and JL....

But yes we'll need good youngsters to come in a cover the $4M+ that the OEL will cost between 2025-2027 (gives them this season+next if needed to become players for us).

I think Miller will become the babysitter for JL, just like Petey had in the beginning.

With Kuz signing another deal, Brock will be the odd man out, and that's why I believe they may be feeling the waters, now that he has scored some goals...

Beau is gone in the summer and so is Myers likely, if not before, so its only Garland and Brock, that would move the needle cap wise long term.

I would be great if Silovs could continue his progress, if not the replace Demko, then at least be able to be a back up. DeSmith will cost substantially more next season, if he continues performing like this, so I doubt, we'll see him coming back...

But yes the most important thing is to retain Petey and Hughes (Think signing Hronek long term will help with that).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Completely agree with this.  

Some posters on here seem to be crazy horny about wanting to see the Canucks going for it this year and blowing up the farm in the process (or tearing off the trousers with their teeth so to speak).    

I'm excited as the next guy over what we've done so far but slow and steady is the name of the game.   Alvin has done a pretty good job of replenishing the cupboards, and we've got guys like Raty, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, and Willander in the system waiting in the wings.  It's not inconceivable at all to believe that all three of the aforementioned forwards could step into our line up next season on ELC's........and that would be a huge advantage obviously.

So, what would I like to see?

1) Canucks make the 1st or 2nd round this year.

2) Pettersson and Hronek sign long term deals with us in the Summer.  

3) Kuzmenko signs a long term deal with us when his contract expires

4) Hughes signs a long term deal with us when his contract expires

5) Hoglander, Podkolzin, Willander, Raty, and Lekkerimaki all become long term core players for us.  

6) Three years from now as Miller leaves his peak, he becomes a role player for us and continues to be a leader.  

7) Silovs develops and successfully takes over the reigns when Demko becomes a UFA (or, we sign Demko to a 4 year deal).   

-The Canucks continuously and progressively become more competitive over these next few seasons.

-We are able to retain our core players

-We slowly and progressively replace sub-par contracts (i.e. Myers) with more cost-effective players.    

Even if the Canucks 'blow up the farm' and go for it this season, we aren't going to be better than Colorado, Vegas, and Tampa Bay.   

So, ultimately responding to your post, and the spirit of this thread, I wouldn't trade promising young assets for 'win now' players from the Flames.  If it makes financial sense in the off-season, take a run at Chris Tanev.  No need to spend an arm and a leg for Rasmus Andersson or McKenzie Weeger.  

The short term window with Hughes as anchor is now and three more seasons when we can be on top.

After that, if we loose Hughes(and that possibilitie is quite big) we become more of an ordinary cup contender that has to deal with all the Hughes bros going forward. And that will be hard if the Devils has any brain.

So to be on the safe side you go for it now when you know what you got. 
Not in four years when almost everything is unknown.

To get rid of the 2024 picks wich probably will be quite bad ones it’s better to use them as the Lighnings did. Spend all on one player that get us going even more.

I think moving BB6 before EP is re-signed would be a mistake. Afterwards, sure.
It would be the equivalent of taking Tanev and his presence out of the dressing room to an extent. The guys who’ve been with this club through very lean recent times all want to see Brock succeed and have been behind him as previously evidenced. It would be a major attack on chemistry.
That said I understand business is business and timing is everything. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He would be perfect, but I doubt they can find enough to send the other way to facilitate a trade. Andersson would be great.

Well, the only thing that could lure them is if we take Huberdau with Rasmus and send Garland, Beauvillier, Myers and all the 2024 picks we got.

They get rid of a really stupid contract and get three players they can turn i to picks or just use the cap space available .

But then we get another albatross…

36 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Well, the only thing that could lure them is if we take Huberdau with Rasmus and send Garland, Beauvillier, Myers and all the 2024 picks we got.

They get rid of a really stupid contract and get three players they can turn i to picks or just use the cap space available .

But then we get another albatross…

Never.....

Just about got out of one mess with the OEL contract, don't want to end up with another...

$10.5M for another 6 years.....  Andersson isn't worth that.... wouldn't do that for anyone not named Bedard or Jack Hughes... and even then I might  hesitate....

Myers and Beau are gone in the summer Garland at worst in another year.... just no.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think moving BB6 before EP is re-signed would be a mistake. Afterwards, sure.
It would be the equivalent of taking Tanev and his presence out of the dressing room to an extent. The guys who’ve been with this club through very lean recent times all want to see Brock succeed and have been behind him as previously evidenced. It would be a major attack on chemistry.
That said I understand business is business and timing is everything. 

I feel the same, but I think Petey learnt its a business, when Dahlen was cut...

It's a tough one, as they are likely very good friends. Nevertheless I think JR/PA are ice-cold, when it comes to build a winning side. 

Its a tough one... Is Petey prepared to walk away from a team, that may be contending soon, because a team mate, he likes or even cares for, is being traded?

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I feel the same, but I think Petey learnt its a business, when Dahlen was cut...

It's a tough one, as they are likely very good friends. Nevertheless I think JR/PA are ice-cold, when it comes to build a winning side. 

Its a tough one... Is Petey prepared to walk away from a team, that may be contending soon, because a team mate, he likes or even cares for, is being traded?

I imagine it would more be about trusting mgmt and ownership and their character and deciding if that's a long term commitment to people he wants to be married to.

Guys who go through serious personal hardship and bust their ass to try and make a comeback, exclaiming how much they want to be part of the club and responsible to their teammates, are heart and soul players who other roster members play for. Brock deserves a bit more a chance to prove something, imho. Like i said, at least get EP signed before really toying with the idea of moving on from BB6. He so complimentary to the top 6 right now that the patience is paying off a bit. I wouldn't mess with that until things become stale and if there is a return to the types of performances we've seen in previous seasons.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I imagine it would more be about trusting mgmt and ownership and their character and deciding if that's a long term commitment to people he wants to be married to.

Guys who go through serious personal hardship and bust their ass to try and make a comeback, exclaiming how much they want to be part of the club and responsible to their teammates, are heart and soul players who other roster members play for. Brock deserves a bit more a chance to prove something, imho. Like i said, at least get EP signed before really toying with the idea of moving on from BB6. He so complimentary to the top 6 right now that the patience is paying off a bit. I wouldn't mess with that until things become stale and if there is a return to the types of performances we've seen in previous seasons.

Yeah I hear you...

Not sure tbh... I think, it very much depends on how hard JR/PA and Tocchet are on other players...

I'm sure, they don't want to shake the apple cart, especially while all is dandy, but you get the best value for players form, so its not out of realm to believe it could happen. 

Last year we could likely have gotten something for Beau, while he was on Petey's line, now he most likely has negative value.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Never.....

Just about got out of one mess with the OEL contract, don't want to end up with another...

$10.5M for another 6 years.....  Andersson isn't worth that.... wouldn't do that for anyone not named Bedard or Jack Hughes... and even then I might  hesitate....

Myers and Beau are gone in the summer Garland at worst in another year.... just no.

Yes, a Huberdau is a Benning mistake so it won’t happen.

It’s amazing PA managed to get Hronek for cheap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

The short term window with Hughes as anchor is now and three more seasons when we can be on top.

After that, if we loose Hughes(and that possibilitie is quite big) we become more of an ordinary cup contender that has to deal with all the Hughes bros going forward. And that will be hard if the Devils has any brain.

So to be on the safe side you go for it now when you know what you got. 
Not in four years when almost everything is unknown.

To get rid of the 2024 picks wich probably will be quite bad ones it’s better to use them as the Lighnings did. Spend all on one player that get us going even more.

Maybe but I see things a bit differently.  

IF the Canucks can get progressively better over the next 3-4 years (i.e. consistent playoff appearances, winning a few rounds), and IF you can start getting core players to commit long term as a result (i.e. Pettersson, Hronek, Kuzmenko), then I do think there's a good chance that we can convince Hughes (captain) to stay.  With regards to our current pipeline (Raty, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki), I don't think it's farfetched at all to believe that all 3 guys could be ready to step into our line-up next season on ELC's.  That, combined with Myers being off the books.    

Let things progress naturally.  Even if the Canucks start being aggressive with short term moves, they aren't going to be on the same level as Vegas, Colorado, and Tampa.  Let's build some equity first.   Make the playoffs this year, maybe win a round, and then progress from there.  If Hughes does ultimately end up walking, then you use that 7+ million on other assets.  

On 11/2/2023 at 1:03 PM, stawns said:

no, on ice play still matters most, though cap is obviously incredibly important.  Garland is playing important minutes in important situations and, obviously, has the trust of the coaching staff as one of the guys they want out there in the waning minutes of close games.  To me, that's what matters

I mean, on-ice play and cap are interrelated. Expectations are relative to how much you cost.

There’s a reason we don't give Hirose the same expectations we do Hughes. 

26 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

I mean, on-ice play and cap are interrelated. Expectations are relative to how much you cost.

There’s a reason we don't give Hirose the same expectations we do Hughes. 

They are, I agree.  However, you have to also consider what it would cost the Canucks to move Garland (allegedly).  Giving up assets or retaining dead cap to move a player who, obviously, has some importance to the lineup makes no sense.

If they can move him in a hockey trade that's fine, but he's playing well and contributing to the team.........regardless of his caphit.

To me, he's more valuable to the team than giving up a pick/prospect and/or retaining nong salary to move him.

On 11/1/2023 at 7:49 PM, Guntrix said:

I disagree about sitting pat and not moving players just because of a good start, but the players I would've liked to see moved (Beauvillier, Garland) are off to bad starts, so it's still going to be difficult to move them. Maybe Myers? He's not looking too bad this year.

I disagree with your disagreement. lol

While I get not wanting to sit pat, don't try and fix what doesn't need fixing. Myers playing alright this season is a sign that things are going well and, as you yourself just said, no one's going to want to trade for the ones who need to pick up their games at this point.

This is nothing more than needless overthinking in my opinion. It's only 10 games. We need to be cautiously optimistic and not make stupid decisions just because we see a player on our roster not playing up to snuff while the rest of the team's doing well. We need to think long term with our players and not base whether to trade them on 10 games. Sure, they've had previous seasons to also show, but this is a different situation with us actually winning and it'll be interesting to see if the winning fever spreads to these guys as well.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:09 AM, stawns said:

I agree about AB, but Garland is having a solid start to the season in a role many probably thought wasn't a fit for him. 

There's a lot more to the game than points

No way they have the pieces to get Rasmus Andersson

Willander and picks would do it.    Would you do that?