[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs San Jose Sharks, Nov 2 7:30 PDT, SAP Center ...

Rocket-68

Who had or has the greatest hair in NHL History  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Simply the Best Hair in Hockey

• Are you kidding me - The Flow BB6
    • When flying down the wing, the Flower LaFleur
    • Like come on!!!!! Jaromir "Mr. Mullet" Jagr for the win!
    • Bobby Clarke with the added bonus of no teeth
    • Mike Ricci who must have been sporting a wig, like b***h please!
    • Al Iafrate who managed to combine a Reverse Friar Tuck with Party in the Back in the same 'doo
    • ... none of the above, I will show you a pic in the comments

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a huge game. If we win this we are 10 points clear of the flames and Oilers although Edmonton will have games in hand.

10 points is a lot to make up on any team. We have Edmonton coming up here as well and they will be super hungry.  We need to make hay in this game.

Go Canucks Go. Two points are huge tonight. Lets play like it. 5-1 Canucks

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Mackenzie Blackwood owns a perfect record against the canucks 5-0 with 2 shutouts, goal against under 1.. and a .962 sv%.. this was done while the new jersey was rebuilding too.. hopefully the canucks do some film studying and figure out a way to solve the goalie.. he already took colorado all the way to the shootout with a 51 sv performance.. 

At this point he must be stoked it's us up next.   That said all good things don't last.   Agree, the guys like Hasek against us.   Goalies are wired differently.   Griess in international play.   A couple other Swiss goalies against team Canada.  Hope that's not what we are dealing with tonight.  

Sure would love to watch us ventilate two different goalies tonight, and extend our goals for versus against.  One of the tie breakers.   All those things need to be considered.   So far aces against Western Conference teams.   Mike Grier definitely has picked a lane.   Full blow up was coming.   Wonder how he will fare versus JB.   San Jose, Detroit and Vancouver were neck and neck as the three best regular season teams from 2000-2014.    Wilson did an admirable job pushing the re-tool all in envelope, made it to I think game six against Pittsburgh.   Now they are paying the piper properly.  No other choice really.  

Detroit in their second rebuild.   Larkin was our Bo Horvat and they choose to keep him.    

Aside from that history lesson, was sure nice to have such a great team as a measuring stick to play against for all those years.   Both our clubs made it to final and think we were 1-1 playing against them head to head. 

They got their final a lot later than us but did.   We are way ahead of them with the next core.   Probably be a long time before we can go head to head against a Thornton/Marleau and come out on top at the peaks of both our powers.    But at least maybe we can exorcise some demons with EDM?  

Back in the 90's wasn't impressed we had another CALI team to play against.   ANA was a laughing stock of a uniform ... based on a movie?   Yikes quack quack.   Silly even now.    But the Sharks quickly made a name for them selves, thanks to a couple old Russians (by today's standards for sure) ... beating out maybe the best the regular season all-time mighty Wings.   More history, but Irbe and Makarov were absolute gems back then. 

SJ might have the best jersey in hockey (well they used too according to experts), and Metallica in their corner ... We've got EP and QHs in ours ... and Miller.   Let's beat the tar out of these punks. 

• Like 3

why is it always a 730 start in SJ ?

I'm up at 5 every morning, so trying to stay awake for even a 7pm start is tough.

probably only watch the first 2 periods...oy vey

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Their goalie loves playing us… we can’t beat him 

That's pretty pessimistic. That was then this is now.

Also, we've beat the Sharks the last 9/9 times we've played them.

FTR: This year he's got a 3.83 GAA ... totally beatable. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

15 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I'm up at 5 every morning, so trying to stay awake for even a 7pm start is tough.

traffic. people need time to get to the game. 

17 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Imagine being on the east coast and it's a 10:30 start and having to wake up at 6:15 the next morning

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure would love to watch us ventilate two different goalies tonight, and extend our goals for versus against.  One of the tie breakers.   All those things need to be considered.

Eyes on the prize; can confirm.

Plus, Just Win IBaby!

8 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Imagine being on the east coast and it's a 10:30 start and having to wake up at 6:15 the next morning

or a 12 pm start in Newfy Land .. not too many Canucks fans there I suppose..😉

5-1 Canucks, expecting a motivated team looking to not waste this game and get back to their identity for the coach 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

There is a very straight-forward opportunity to go 7-2-1 for Vancouver.  And yet, if you're San Jose, all bad things must come to an end.

I couldn't tell you how this will go, but I'm hopeful.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Its not the start time that's so tough; its staying awake; but the PVR's got it covered.

I wake up, usually in the 1st intermission, turn the TV off, and go to bed.

I'm retired and I love waking up early and watching the Nux game to start the day. 

(And the Lions)   Cheers Everyone!    Good Day.   Game Day.

(And maybe some tomorrow morning too.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds crazy but I consider this game a big test.

It's a trap game.

Good teams win the games they are supposed to win.

Canucks win this I declare them a good team.

Go Canucks Go

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Sounds crazy but I consider this game a big test.

It's a trap game.

Good teams win the games they are supposed to win.

Canucks win this I declare them a good team.

Go Canucks Go

I agree. Don't let your guard down. Play like October. Work hard. Let SJ make all the mistakes.

You don't want to be known as the team that lost to San Jose.....and broke their losing streak.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

6 - 1 Canucks was the score i was thinking of. To realize that they have to jump on SJ early and play a heavy game, early. They are entirely capable of that. Burroughs will want to show. Who I will watch is the 3rd line with Hogs in particular. Beau seems to be waking up and those two could perform. Hogs is playing very well and if his line mates had more finish his ppg would be much higher. 

RT has been doing a nice job of TOI management. He might play the bottom 6 more if the Canucks build a lead. The big game this week is Dallas on Saturday. We get them on the tail end of their road trip which is a plus.  

Yeah, not looking forward to playing against Burroughs, he always brings it; on the other hand, we should be able to score on him; he and Freidman might make a nice tilt.

Agree also that Höglander has been playing very well, super talented and gritty, feel like he's going to break through and put some points up.

There's a lot to like in your post apparently, as I also am interested, if/when we get a lead, to see if some of the 3rd and 4th line guys that are doing well get chances with the core guys, e.g. Höglander with Miller and Di Giuseppe or Lafferty with Pettersson and Mikheyev.

Tocchet seems to be working with Beauvillier, Suter, and Garland with a bit of success; I guess he knows we are stuck with them, for awhile at least.

Some people like Beauvillier, some like Garland, some like Suter, I'm not sure about any of them and I don't know of anyone that likes all three.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Yeah, not looking forward to playing against Burroughs, he always brings it; on the other hand, we should be able to score on him; he and Freidman might make a nice tilt.

Agree also that Höglander has been playing very well, super talented and gritty, feel like he's going to break through and put some points up.

There's a lot to like in your post apparently, as I also am interested, if/when we get a lead, to see if some of the 3rd and 4th line guys that are doing well get chances with the core guys, e.g. Höglander with Miller and Di Giuseppe or Lafferty with Pettersson and Mikheyev.

Tocchet seems to be working with Beauvillier, Suter, and Garland with a bit of success; I guess he knows we are stuck with them, for awhile at least.

Some people like Beauvillier, some like Garland, some like Suter, I'm not sure about any of them and I don't know of anyone that likes all three.

Suter what he's lacking in point production, is fast and a great forechecker. He also is great for breaking up plays in the defensive end. Don't let his +/- fool you. He gets the tough assignments. I think it's a matter of time the scoring will be there too. He's almost like an additional defenceman out there.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

A Random Hockey Story

Continuing the ten greatest years in NHL history

6. 1971

image.png.5bb77eef44c1253ef81a65b59881d0a0.png

Phil Esposito may have put up ridiculous numbers during the 1971 calendar year, but it also marked the dawn of the Ken Dryden era. Melchior DiGiacomo/Getty Images

Remember that "Dawn of the Dead" remake, which might still stand as the only truly good movie Zack Snyder has directed? The remake has its virtues, but couldn't quite top the gory glory of the George Romero original.

This is, in essence, why 1971 was ranked ahead of 1986.

Like Gretzky's points explosion in 1985-86, the 1970-71 season saw one of the single greatest offensive seasons up to that point in NHL history: Phil Esposito's 76 goals for the Boston Bruins, which is tied for the fifth-highest total ever for a single season. But within context, it's even greater: Before Espo's 76 goals, the highest total was Bobby Hull's 58 goals in 1968-69. So this was unprecedented.

Esposito was simply dominant throughout the 1971 calendar year, scoring a league-best 72 goals and 146 points. The only player who had more assists than his 74 in that span was teammate Bobby Orr, with 96. Esposito had the most power-play goals (25), power-play points (52) and game-winning goals (18) that year as well. The Bruins finished the season with 399 goals, most in a season at that time.

It was a remarkable year for the Hall of Famer, but ultimately a disappointing one, as Montreal stunned the Bruins in seven games during the quarterfinal of the 1971 Stanley Cup playoffs, a series that included the classic Game 2 that saw Montreal rally from a 5-2 deficit with five goals in the third period.

And while Patrick Roy's run to the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe was great, you still can't top the original: Ken Dryden, having played six regular-season games in his career, played 20 in the 1971 playoffs and won the postseason MVP for Montreal after a Game 7 Stanley Cup win over the Chicago Blackhawks.

5. 1980

image.png.63180232d700f66332eeae15be6f9a45.png

Due in part to Team USA's legendary Olympic triumph, there was no way 1980 was going to be kept off of this list. Steve Powell/Getty Images

It would take a miracle for the Miracle to not make this list.

The U.S. men's hockey team upsetting the heavily favored Soviet team and then winning gold against Finland in Lake Placid wasn't just one of the most memorable events in hockey history, but in sports history. Sure, some of its aftereffects and influence may have been exaggerated through the years -- did the Miracle on Ice or Wayne Gretzky have more to do with the growth of hockey in the U.S.? -- but there's no getting around the idea that it's the single most epic moment in international hockey history, with apologies to the Canada vs. Russia battles in the 1970s.

The enormity of that event obviously fuels 1980 as one of the greatest hockey years, but let's not sleep on the NHL's momentous year. In 1979-80, there was another round of expansion, as the WHA's Edmonton Oilers, New England "soon to be Hartford" Whalers, Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets joined the fray. Because of that, there was a change in the playoff format, as it was expanded to 16 teams for the first time and without regard for conferences and divisions; hence, the top-seeded Flyers faced the No. 16 Oilers in the first round. It was nutty.

(Those Oilers had a 19-year-old player named Gretzky, who won his first Hart Trophy in 1980. He would win eight more.)

But in the end, history was made: The New York Islanders won their first of four straight Stanley Cups, defeating the Flyers in overtime in Game 6 on a Bobby Nystrom goal.

In the process, Ken Morrow became the first player in hockey history to win Olympic gold and a Stanley Cup in the same year. Yeah, 1980 was good to him.

4. 2006

image.png.c0703240d9a7a22a611a8f9e8993d721.png

The 2005-06 season saw the dawn of the Sidney Crosby-Alex Ovechkin rivalry. Mitchell Layton/Getty Images

There will never be another season like 2005-06 in the NHL. And by that, we're of course referencing our undying hope that the owners never cancel another full season, even if doing so led to a slew of rules changes and the league basically pounding the "reset" button to get rid of the malaise of the trap years.

The 2005-06 season brought us many new rules, from the legalization of two-line passes to the death of tie games via the shootout to the crackdown on obstruction that led to the highest goals-per-game average in the NHL (3.08) in a decade. It brought us the dueling rookie seasons of Sidney Crosby and Alex OVechkin; Joe Thorton getting traded from the Bruins to the Sharks and then edging Jaromir Jagr for the scoring title and the Hart Trophy, while fueling one of the most inexplicable goal-scoring seasons in NHL history -- Jonathan Cheechoo leading the league with 56 goals.

It also brought us a wild postseason, including the Cinderella run by the No. 8 seed Oilers through the Western Conference and two epic seven-game series. The Carolina Hurricanes and the Buffalo Sabres faced off in the Eastern Conference finals, and then the Hurricanes won their first Stanley Cup over the Oilers thanks to rookie goalie and Conn Smythe winner Cam Ward.

The unpredictability of 2006 spilled over to the Olympics, with Canada and the U.S. being eliminated in the quarterfinals and Sweden topping Finland for the gold. The Swedish team faced allegations of throwing its game against Slovakia in the preliminary round in order to draw the Swiss in the quarterfinals.

In the women's Olympic tournament, Canada claimed gold with a win over Sweden, who handed the Americans their first loss in international competition to a team other than Canada.

************Now for the Game Day Thread**********

Overview

San Jose is looking to stop their nine-game skid this game taking on the high-flying Canucks who are firing on all 8 cylinders although bad gas must be in the tank as they seem to sputter a bit now and then. With Elias "da Alien" Pettersson picking up a hat trick and Quinn Hughes padding his stats with 3 apples in the game versus the Preds, Tocchet the Rocket isn't enamored with the teams play despite the 5-2 win.

Quote of the day:

"That's not our brand of hockey. We were pretty loose. Too many turnovers. It wasn't a great game for us identity-wise," Tocchet said. "We got to be careful we don't get fat and happy around here."

Coach Tocchet was pissed during the game as he had JT manning the bench door for the last 5 or 6 minutes of the second period to have a think about the brain farts that crept into JT's game. However, all was forgiven when the third came along and JT rotated into the game. Expect the Canucks to be more focused against the Sharks which bodes well for a road W.

The Sharks are still looking for their first victory lounging at the very bottom of the league standings. With a sparkling 3 goals scored during their recent 5-game road trip and a total of 9 goals in 9 games, the Sharks should be spanked by the Canucks which is exactly why the Canucks cannot take them for granted. The Sharks will wake up at some point and play like they at least belong in the AHL and if the Canucks mail it in, this might be the game where the Sharks surprise the Canucks.

The Sharks are without captain Logan Couture all season *ouch* and vet Alex Barabanov is out with a broken finder. The Sharks blue line is missing Matt Benning and Nikita Okhotiuk is expected to draw in with his first game of the season but won't be moving the defensive needle all the way over to replacing Matt Benning. 

The Sharks should be easy pickings for the Canucks, but still, the game needs to be played to be sure.

By the Numbers

<Placeholder>

image.png.4b4fe4c1283f7b124448effef89c70ac.png

image.thumb.png.ae63dcf4e3f9bf22f989a9253fc3f95e.png

image.thumb.png.d1a0d327a7ad0de7e0841c2e197f962a.png

image.thumb.png.72120802d314ebba8669fc6544d2c0f8.png

Media

You know the drill, GO BUY A TICKET AND throw random objects at the opposing team - just kidding, no violence please, just your best one-liners hurled at the Ranger bench, and the zebras as needed. Otherwise go to your local watering hole and support your team and swill some beer.

TV: Sportnet Pacific, NBC Sports California

Radio: SportsNet 650

Streaming: lots on various Reddit threads 

Matchup Info

image.png.7678b3ff7879dd1ebde6f57441693991.png

Source: https://www.dimers.com/bet-hub/nhl/schedule/2023_24_sj_van  ... lots of fun stuff on this site if betting / gambling is your thing. 

image.png.f0449915d66ef4eaa42d539ca1e5d1ac.png

image.png.73343b9fe8d588fc267923dfcf1a4f0a.png

image.thumb.png.0646c8f4b6f2e860759a9227feb9be21.png

image.png.82d9c3510da2577566a310bb9adb94d1.png

image.thumb.png.fdbc854f3b915fca01f954e3d56b70e1.png

image.thumb.png.d217a48b6baf0463e51a82b2b49d6d86.png

image.png.25186426abb7a24c529117efcb32e1ab.png

image.thumb.png.4d0546b10de03fa128da6a139a36d632.png

image.png.44abf436d4af20b22c8418993e550487.png

image.thumb.png.b58c977281294baa1f9b2eec66857539.png

Not sure why Matt Benning is listed as he is on the Injured Reserve

Da Zebras

<Placeholder>

Player Spotlight

<Placeholder>

Now for some fun stuff

Bieksa 2OT Series Winner

Kevin vs Patrick Fight - a bit of a mismatch but have to give Marleau full marks for answering the bell and taking on a much tougher opponent.

Sharks 'Nucks Brawl in 1992 ... even Pavel got into it

Thank you for the great memories

Back in 1972 Phil Esposito was the most hated man in the former USSR

It is hard to imagine now, but streets in my native city Kharkiv were literally deserted, everybody was glued to TVs. 

Anyway, 51 years later-GCG!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Nervous Key And Peele GIF

Very nervous about this game....The hockey gods may intervene here and give the sharks their first win just to spite Canuck fans!

So for hockey god sakes Canucks try to play smart, and not give away the puck so often and take stupid penalties ! but I can see the Giraffe causing mayhem here....

Fingers crossed the old canucks don't appear again....

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Squirter said:

TLDR these gdts are taking up the entire first page 

What Is Happening Digital Art GIF by Robert Ek

LOL, thank you dear sir (assuming the male of the species) for the feedback ... I encourage you to navigate your way to the GDT sign up page -> click here <- ... select a game or two that gets your gonads a-boiling and create the GDT template you desire. Perhaps something like this ...

GDT ... GAME IS ON NOW COMMENT

Da End

... to win the shortest GDT in history award.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Upvote 1