[Proposal] Adding A Top Pairing RHD

Let's face it, top tier RHD rarely ever become available.  Especially ones that are south of 30 years old.  We snagged an excellent one in Hronek, now let's do it one more time to lock things down on the back end.  With Calgary in shambles, now is the opportunity.

This is gonna hurt, but it's the price to pay for a top pair RHD.

To VAN:

Rasmus Andersson

To CAL:

Podkolzin

Beauvillier

1st Round Pick

Calgary needs to rebuild or at least get a major retool going.  They need to re-sign Hanifin.  They can probably lock up Hanifin and Tanev for next season if they shed some cap.  Beauvillier is off the books next year, and they could even flip him for another pick at the TDL.  Podkolzin is still a high end prospect that is almost ready for full time NHL duties.  The 1st round pick is the icing on the cake.

Vancouver acquires a 27 year old top pair RHD locked in for a few years at $4.55M.  Needless to say, this really provides the depth we need to be a bonafide playoff threat.

Hughes-Andersson (I say play Hronek on the 2nd pair so he doesn't pad his stats and ask for the moon in contract negotiations lol)

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers/Friedman

Doubt this is enough personally. Podz started well this year in Abby, but still isn't much of a sure thing. Andersson is a bonafide #1D in the league who's probably worth a salary of $8M and is getting paid $4.55M for three more years. You'd need to offer a king's ransom for him. I honestly think if the deal doesn't include Brzustewicz or Willander, they hang up immediately.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Doubt this is enough personally. Podz started well this year in Abby, but still isn't much of a sure thing. Andersson is a bonafide #1D in the league who's probably worth a salary of $8M and is getting paid $4.55M for three more years. You'd need to offer a king's ransom for him. I honestly think if the deal doesn't include Brzustewicz or Willander, they hang up immediately.

I'd do Brzustewicz, Beauvillier, 1st

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd do Brzustewicz, Beauvillier, 1st

This might get closer to real value, though Beauvillier is negative, so I'm not sure it's quite there. The real catch is they're losing a top guy for a lot of hope more than anything real. I think if you increase the value and give them something other than Beauvillier, they might be more enticed, but then, cap issues come into play. Might just mean we need to give even more of futures to make them more comfortable. Maybe add a 2nd or switch Brzustewicz for Willander and it might be doable.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

This might get closer to real value, though Beauvillier is negative, so I'm not sure it's quite there. The real catch is they're losing a top guy for a lot of hope more than anything real. I think if you increase the value and give them something other than Beauvillier, they might be more enticed, but then, cap issues come into play. Might just mean we need to give even more of futures to make them more comfortable. Maybe add a 2nd or switch Brzustewicz for Willander and it might be doable.

It'd hurt a lot, but I'd be willing to go Podkolzin, Brzustewicz, Beauvillier, and a 1st.

Adding Andersson transforms our defence to a legitimate top tier D core in the league.  Hughes, Hronek, and Andersson would be 50% of our defence core.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

It'd hurt a lot, but I'd be willing to go Podkolzin, Brzustewicz, Beauvillier, and a 1st.

Adding Andersson transforms our defence to a legitimate top tier D core in the league.  Hughes, Hronek, and Andersson would be 50% of our defence core.

IMO, I think your offer there is probably in the right ballpark. A big offer, but Andersson is a big fish.

Just now, -AJ- said:

IMO, I think your offer there is probably in the right ballpark. A big offer, but Andersson is a big fish.

Yeah, it'd hurt a lot to lose that much futures, but Andersson really transforms our defence core.  We'd be solid for the next 5 to 8 years.

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Even Garland has more value than Beau and I’m not sure they would want him. At least Garland has some term left and can contribute some offence in the top 6 for them. I’m not so sure Beau can do that. 

I disagree.  Beau is not locked in for another 3 years.  Beau can be flipped at the TDL for a pick, and then that frees up $4M+ in cap space moving forward.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, it'd hurt a lot to lose that much futures, but Andersson really transforms our defence core.  We'd be solid for the next 5 to 8 years.

I disagree.  Beau is not locked in for another 3 years.  Beau can be flipped at the TDL for a pick, and then that frees up $4M+ in cap space moving forward.

A 7th round pick maybe. He’s done nothing since being demoted from the top line. 

The term could actually work in Calgary’s favour here, with many guys wanting to bolt.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or we can be like clubs that compete for the Stanley Cup, and develop Wallinder and Bz ourselves?

Stop being so damn impatient.

WAY easier developing studs when you have a winning environment.  I'd rather have guys like Willander develop on a Stanley Cup contender than a bottom feeder like the Sharks.

10 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

A 7th round pick maybe. He’s done nothing since being demoted from the top line. 

The term could actually work in Calgary’s favour here, with many guys wanting to bolt.

I think Calgary wants cap space next year.  They've got a lot of key guys up for contract renewals.  Last thing they want is another longer term contract locking them down and reducing flexibility in negotiations.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

WAY easier developing studs when you have a winning environment.  I'd rather have guys like Willander develop on a Stanley Cup contender than a bottom feeder like the Sharks.

I think Calgary wants cap space next year.  They've got a lot of key guys up for contract renewals.  Last thing they want is another longer term contract locking them down and reducing flexibility in negotiations.

They can have all the cap space they want. Players have wanted out for a while now, so they need players with term who can produce. They’d dump Kadri and Huberdeau too if they could. They have too much term and don’t produce anywhere near enough to justify their contracts. 

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

They can have all the cap space they want. Players have wanted out for a while now, so they need players with term who can produce. They’d dump Kadri and Huberdeau too if they could. They have too much term and don’t produce anywhere near enough to justify their contracts. 

Huh?  Even Hanifin was ready to negotiate.  It was the Flames that paused things.  If they had an additional $4.5M in cap space next year, I bet they could lock down Hanifin and Lindholm.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Huh?  Even Hanifin was ready to negotiate.  It was the Flames that paused things.  If they had an additional $4.5M in cap space next year, I bet they could lock down Hanifin and Lindholm.

Hanifin’s willingness to re-sign was based on the team’s success and direction. It’s been a shit show this year. He won’t want to stick around. Calgary would be smart to move him and Lindholm for picks and prospects and maybe younger players with a bit of term left, like Garland. I doubt they move Andersson anyway because he’s got term left. They’ll probably be looking at moving Tanev, Hanifin and Zadorov.

4 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Hanifin’s willingness to re-sign was based on the team’s success and direction. It’s been a shit show this year. He won’t want to stick around. Calgary would be smart to move him and Lindholm for picks and prospects and maybe younger players with a bit of term left, like Garland. I doubt they move Andersson anyway because he’s got term left. They’ll probably be looking at moving Tanev, Hanifin and Zadorov.

Up until a few days ago Hanifin was looking to re-sign.  Money talks.  I could see Tanev, Hanifin, and Lindholm all staying, then moving Andersson for a kings ransom to build up the depth on the roster.  Much better off than losing Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm, and Zadorov, and just keeping Andersson.

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

With Willander coming as well it's a heck of a group.

I'd do this version of the trade.

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Up until a few days ago Hanifin was looking to re-sign.  Money talks.  I could see Tanev, Hanifin, and Lindholm all staying, then moving Andersson for a kings ransom to build up the depth on the roster.  Much better off than losing Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm, and Zadorov, and just keeping Andersson.

Money does talk, to a point, but when a competitive player who wants to challenge for the Stanley Cup doesn’t see the playoffs with his current team in the future, he wants out and he even said as much in the summer. Yes, he did later say he was willing to negotiate, but I can’t see him willing to stick around with how messy things have been since last season. It’s why talks have been paused. 

I agree that it would be better to keep him and those others, but like I said, they’re non-commital because of their start to the season.

Hanifin has value though and while they won’t get a king’s ransom for him, they can get help up front for him and keep Andersson, who has term left and wants to stay. Tanev and Zadorov also have some value and can bring back more assets as well. 

My point is Beau has negative value and we know they’ve been in dire need of offence in their top 6 and that’s where Garland can help them. 

I’m sure most teams would love that cap space, but if they move Hanifin etc., they don’t need to re-sign him and it doesn’t address their biggest problem, which is the need of a top 6 forward. 

A trade between these 2 teams should be centred around Hanifin and Garland. Throw in whatever picks, prospects and salary retention needed to make it work.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Let's face it, top tier RHD rarely ever become available.  Especially ones that are south of 30 years old.  We snagged an excellent one in Hronek, now let's do it one more time to lock things down on the back end.  With Calgary in shambles, now is the opportunity.

To VAN:

Rasmus Andersson

To CAL:

Podkolzin

Beauvillier

1st Round Pick

Calgary needs to rebuild or at least get a major retool going.  They need to re-sign Hanifin.  They can probably lock up Hanifin and Tanev for next season if they shed some cap.  Beauvillier is off the books next year, and they could even flip him for another pick at the TDL.  Podkolzin is still a high end prospect that is almost ready for full time NHL duties.  The 1st round pick is the icing on the cake.

Vancouver acquires a 27 year old top pair RHD locked in for a few years at $4.55M.  Needless to say, this really provides the depth we need to be a bonafide playoff threat.

Hughes-Andersson (I say play Hronek on the 2nd pair so he doesn't pad his stats and ask for the moon in contract negotiations lol)

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers/Friedman

I personally don't think that gets it done, but I agree that they need to rebuild. Their problem though is, they have contracts that aren't movable.

In the right trade, I'd be okay parting with Podkolzin, I still think he can become a good 2nd line power forward under the right guidance.

Maybe:

To Vancouver:

Rasmus Andersson

Dryden Hunt

2024 4th round pick

To Calgary

2024 1st

Podkolzin

Myers (50% retained)

Beauvillier (45% retained)

So, money wise, those numbers are REALLY close and based on both teams cap space, they have to be REALLY close.

My reasoning, if they agreed to move Anderson, they still need a replacement RD for the balance of the year or at least to the deadline. Dryden would give us someone we could waive and assign to Abbotsford if we want and pull someone else up.

With those amounts retained on Myers and Beauvillier, Calgary could do really well at the trade deadline moving them at 50% retained again for even more picks. It gives them more assets to immediately play with for a rebuild.

I'm still not happy about giving up Podkolzin, but guys who can play top 2 pairing RD aren't cheap. I really don't think Calgary would do this though and I'm not big on helping them. I think Calgary thinks they need a minor retool, but from what I'm seeing they need a full rebuild.

Their window was just opening 3 years ago, and now, not only have they closed it, they have reduced the window back to sand on a beach and ripped out the wall that it was in! The boat anchors they have around their necks with some of the contracts are NOT going to move very easily.

Ideally, I'd probably rather try and make a deal with them for Zadorov for Myers with enough salary retained to make their numbers match, expiring contract for expiring contract and kick them a 3rd round pick somewhere along the line as a thank-you for the upgrade. Then try and sign Zadorov for a longer term.

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Rasmus Andersson

To CAL:

Podkolzin

Beauvillier

1st Round Pick

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers/Friedman

I like this proposal a lot from a Canucks standpoint but I can't see Calgary agreeing to this.  Tanev likely won't stick around next season and so the Flames will need to ensure that they have enough quality RD's (i.e. Andersson, Weager).   

Might just be easier to sign Chris Tanev in the Summer to a short term deal.  Willander can step into Tanev's role once Tanev's contract expires (Willander would presumably be ready to 'take the reigns' at that time?)

I'll give you props though, this is a well thought-out proposal.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1

I think you'd play Anderson with Cole and keep Hughes and Hronek together. Anderson is a bit of a puck mover so might as well play him with a shutdown guy rather than Hughes.

We don't really need another puck mover, with Hronek top-4 in defencemen scoring now too. Anderson can play well defensively but he can easily put up 50+ points so will cost too much.

I'd rather we target Zadorov or Hanifin to be honest, and really think a 2LD is what we need. Soucy is a brilliant bottom pairing guy who might grow into the 2LD role over time, and Cole is quite old and can play either side right now for us, but someone to come in and take shutdown minutes off Hughes against the McDavids of the league would be ideal. I'd go for Hanifin.

He's a great player and on an awesome deal. 

But for Van I think they should pass. The cost to acquire him would be way too high. If he wants out and Calgary is forced to move him sure see if you can get something worked out. However, giving up another 1st plus a top prospect is not what we should be doing at this point imo. 

Edited by Bobby James
  • Upvote 1

Out of all their dmen, age, contract status, RHD, size, ability 

I think he would be their most difficult to acquire

these guys more likely will be traded before:

Zadorov

Tanev

Weegar

would be the guy that would make sense but also be the most difficult and would be a risky move in balancing results and what has to be given up. 

and Hanafin

-

With that being said.

Rasmus is the kind of target that if we could land someone like him, age range, that didn’t have a big pay raise coming same time as Hronek and Petey that would be a target I wouldn’t be upset about trading our first this year. So maybe you are onto something