[Article] Wes McCauley at the center of another Leafs controversy with non-call on Brad Marchand

RWJC

19 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

In a fair league that applies things consistently? Sure.

But come on.  We've just had discussions recently about how the refs store info from previous games to apply them in the here and now. How history comes into play.

Repeat offenders who continue to play a reckless, dangerous, dirty game deserve more. It's not like he doesn't know better (or what he's doing). He tries to be sneaky.

As someone who has worked officiating sports in the past it is very hard to remain completely unbiased. Marchard is a Rat and that should have been taken into account, but they are both trying to gain body position in a battle for a loose puck in the corner. I dont think it is suspension worthy. Definitely a penalty though as his stick was through the legs.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

As someone who as works officiating sports in the past it is very hard to remain completely unbiased. Marchard is a Rat and that should have been taken into account, but they are both trying to gain body position in a battle for a loose puck in the corner. I dont think it is suspension worthy. Definitely a penalty though as his stick was through the legs.

Can openers are pretty intentional, orchestrated moves. This isn't just "battling"...it's trying to take an opponent out of that battle using a dangerous move.

You won't convince me that it wasn't intentional or just "jostling for body position".  Just like a lick of the face, Marchand doesn't follow rules. He likes to dance around them in a cocky way that shows no respect for his opponents. He crosses lines.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Can openers are pretty intentional, orchestrated moves. This isn't just "battling"...it's trying to take an opponent out of that battle using a dangerous move.

You won't convince me that it wasn't intentional or just "jostling for body position".  Just like a lick of the face, Marchand doesn't follow rules. He likes to dance around them in a cocky way.

It is Marchard so it is definitely possible it was intentional, but in real time that play happens a lot quicker than the slowed down replays. I think it is a possibility that he was trying to tie up the stick of Lily.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Goalie29 said:

Others think it was a fair non-call.

both players got their sticks in play there, imo, Marchand just happened to be a little stronger.  It could have been  penalty, for sure, but it's also a play that happens multiple times per game as players go into the boards.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Leafs fans are angry about something that didn't go their way? I'm shocked. 

Folks can go round and round about the refs as much as they'd like, but nothing is going to change on that front unless the NHL wants it to. 

The only way the league fixes the problem is public pressure.  I seem to remember that the league did remove a ref from a playoff series a couple of years ago following especially egregious match fixing that was reported by national media.  Pretending that the conduct of the refs even approaches an acceptable standard is part of the problem.  These dirtbags need to be called out every single time they disgrace the sport with their outright refusal to conduct themselves like professionals.

There really needs to be a veto list that teams can submit if the league isn't going to do its job and fire problem officials.  Auger should never have worked another game after the Burrows incident, but the league let him work another Canucks game against the Islanders.  I like McAuley, but he shouldn't be doing Leafs games.  Especially with gambling becoming a factor, people have to be able to trust that the games are being officiated honestly.  No reasonable person can claim that they are at the moment.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's also a play that happens multiple times per game as players go into the boards.

I don't agree with this.

At all.

Sure, players go into board battles together and try to gain position. But the stick between the legs like this is to take someone out and is dangerous, not to out position them. I watch every game and I don't see can openers happening often.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This league has become ridiculous.  Idiots like this get nothing for putting fellow players at real risk and players get 41 games for gambling in a league where Wayne Gretzky and everybody who can is shilling for gambling.  

I am actually shocked that Reaves, Bertuzzi, nobody went out and pounded the crap out of that big-nosed, evil, little monster.  Why do the players not collectively say enough is enough and take him out?

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The only way the league fixes the problem is public pressure.  I seem to remember that the league did remove a ref from a playoff series a couple of years ago following especially egregious match fixing that was reported by national media.  Pretending that the conduct of the refs even approaches an acceptable standard is part of the problem.  These dirtbags need to be called out every single time they disgrace the sport with their outright refusal to conduct themselves like professionals.

There really needs to be a veto list that teams can submit if the league isn't going to do its job and fire problem officials.  Auger should never have worked another game after the Burrows incident, but the league let him work another Canucks game against the Islanders.  I like McAuley, but he shouldn't be doing Leafs games.  Especially with gambling becoming a factor, people have to be able to trust that the games are being officiated honestly.  No reasonable person can claim that they are at the moment.

You say that, but folks have been complaining about the refs for years. In fact complaints seem to have escalated over the past few years, and yet nothing has really happened.

Pressure should come from teams and sports media, one could argue social media campaigns could have an impact too. Even the pride tape thing we just saw was largely driven by players, sports media, and NHL organizations themselves. Segments of NHL fanbases were vocal, absolutely, but I doubt that held the same weight as the aforementioned groups.

The impact fans actually have that doesn't stem from spending patterns is usually pretty limited imo. The NHL doesn't seem to care about it's fans beyond them being income generators. Individual franchises are better about the fan bit, but the NHL as an organization is pretty shit about it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It is Marchard so it is definitely possible it was intentional, but in real time that play happens a lot quicker than the slowed down replays. I think it is a possibility that he was trying to tie up the stick of Lily.  

your right that is what happened... at first, but that was before his stick bumped lilys left foot, it actually bounced off for a brief moment before he forcibly lifted his left foot with his stick

• Like 1

Refs and league favoring bruins against a dangerous play.. where have I heard this story before?🤔

That said.. when I first saw it I didn't see a need for a penalty because I didn't notice the stick (which could be the refs argument as well). However all dangerous plays should be reviewed though and upon further review I noticed the stick and think a 1 or 2 game is warranted.  You need to be in control of your stick whether or not he meant to do the can opener is irrelevant. It happened and something should come from it.

48 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

your right that is what happened... at first, but that was before his stick bumped lilys left foot, it actually bounced off for a brief moment before he forcibly lifted his left foot with his stick

Agreed. If Marchand had kept his stick between Liljegren's legs, trying to tie up his stick, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's the forcible lifting of Liljegren's leg that is the dirty and dangerous part. Going into the boards and doing what Marchand did is an attempt to injure in my eyes.

42 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Agreed. If Marchand had kept his stick between Liljegren's legs, trying to tie up his stick, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's the forcible lifting of Liljegren's leg that is the dirty and dangerous part. Going into the boards and doing what Marchand did is an attempt to injure in my eyes.

once you see the stick lift it makes you wonder if he bumped lilys right foot too on purpose

it's a minor penalty and unfortunately the ref missed the call. i think 'intent to injure' is a hard sell on this one, particularly when you're looking for a slew foot that just isn't in the replay. people saying this is a suspension are nuts.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, DixonWard said:

This league has become ridiculous.  Idiots like this get nothing for putting fellow players at real risk and players get 41 games for gambling in a league where Wayne Gretzky and everybody who can is shilling for gambling.  

I am actually shocked that Reaves, Bertuzzi, nobody went out and pounded the crap out of that big-nosed, evil, little monster.  Why do the players not collectively say enough is enough and take him out?

Because the Players Association is also in Bettman's back pocket.

Has been since they lost the Lock Out.

On 11/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, Goalie29 said:

Others think it was a fair non-call.

In no way a Leafs fan but if BM did that to a Canuck I would not be happy. Clearly a trip in a dangerous spot IMHO.

Peel's comment is pretty ridiculous, players always gain body position, doesn't mean the other player can take out their feet with their stick.