[PGT] Canucks at Sharts

Roger Neilsons Towel

15 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Honestly, as bad as he was defensively to start the year, the way he’s been playing the last few games he’s earned getting everyone off his back. 

Exactly. And that's what most would have wanted to begin with. 

We don't like real shocking surprises, on a regular basis. 

Keep it simple and everything is fine.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I mean none won shit since I was a toddler... 85 baby cow town did it in what 88 or 89? Yawn 🥱 lol

Joel Otto kicked the puck in- OT game 7 against the Canucks in the first round. Lames may not have even won the cup if there was instant replay in those days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Joel Otto kicked the puck in- OT game 7 against the Canucks in the first round. Lames may not have even won the cup if there was instant replay in those days. 

What about when Baby Hull kicked in the winning goal when he played for Dallas

shit happens… 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

Now fans here might understand why it was so important to get Tocchet in the driving seat asap.

We have a four year window we know what core we have.

So we have to do as much winning we can during those four years.

I'd say 6 to 7... only old dog is Miller in the core

great game but i really thought tocchet should have challenged the sharks goal regardless of the score. if it was the other way around shark losing 10 nothing i'm sure they would have still challenged the goal. would be nice to reward demko with a shutout on his stats who knows maybe the vezina comes down to this haha.. worse case scenario they get to practice penalty kill 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I'd say 6 to 7... only old dog is Miller in the core

Yes, if Willander grows into Hughes replacement.

It can be that Hughes find the life here too good but management has to assume Hughes want to join his brothers.

The Devils has an insane possibilitie to pay Hughes also. Way above what we can.

So we can only guarantee a four year window with this core.

• Sad 1

Just now, LillStrimma said:

Yes, if Willander grows into Hughes replacement.

It can be that Hughes find the life here too good but management has to assume Hughes want to join his brothers.

The Devils has an insane possibilitie to pay Hughes also. Way above what we can.

So we can only guarantee a four year window with this core.

Wtf wants to live in jersey? Lol. I don't think that'll factor in. He's captain for a reason. Boys not going anywhere.

• Huggy Bear 1

This did not turn out to be a banana-peel game after all. Here are the things that stood out for me.

1. The Canucks obviously took over the game early, largely due to the PP and to the stars who have been carrying the team: Hughes, Miller, Petey, and we should add Boeser and Hronek to that list.  That was the story of the first half of the game and the game was pretty much over by then.

2. In the second half, Tocchet dialed back on the ice time of that group and gave more opportunities to the bottom 6 in the hope they break the logjam that has been keeping them off the scoreboard. It worked! Suter got his first goal of the season and Beauvillier got his first two. Both guys looked extremely relieved after scoring. Suter led all forwards in ice-time, followed by Studnicka and Beauvillier. On D, both Hughes and Hronek were under 20 minutes.

3. Lafferty gets his own numbered point. In both Natural Stat Trick and Hockey Stat Cards advanced stats, Lafferty was close to the top (along with Hughes). With another 2 points he now has 5 pts in 10 games and is +6. He was a great pickup as those numbers would be good even for a second-liner. And, in addition, Lafferty brings speed and physical toughness. 

4. Demko also played very well. In the first half, he was hardly tested. But San Jose actually came on strong in the second half of the third period -- partly because Tocchet was hardly playing the top players at all by then, and partly because the Canucks were kind of laying back --understandably. So Demko had to come up with some big saves and San Jose actually ended up with 30 shots. It would have been nice for Demmer to get the shutout and I am guessing the San Jose goal would have been overturned for goalie interference if Tocchet had asked for a review. But Tocchet did the right thing in letting it go.  I am just really impressed by Tocc.

5. We have to admit that the San Jose goaltending was not good. With NHL average goaltending at both ends, that game is maybe 5-2 or 6-2, not 10-1. Still a big win, but not the laugher the score suggests. In the underlying stats of various types, the game was a lot closer than the score.

6. Nice to see Hughes leading the league in +/- (and by a big margin) with a handful of guys tied for second, including Petey, Hronek, and Miller.

7. The Canucks were ready to play. No more playing down to the opposition when playing a weak team. Another test passed.

8. The next game is a tough game against Dallas, followed by the Oilers looking for revenge. Those games are another test. It would easy to take a breather after this game, but Tocc seems to be doing a good job of pushing the right buttons.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

So here we are. The Canucks are now 4 points back of the “beat last season o meter”.

If they can earn 4 more points than they did over their final 72 games last year they will make the playoffs.
For the record they went 36-31-5 last year over their final 72. Good for 5 points over .500. 

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

The worst thing about tonight… I came back home from volunteering at 11pm with the game recorded.

Grabbed a whiskey and settled down on the couch to watch the game…

My wife who is long in bed gets up to use the bathroom and says “Can you believe the Canucks won 10-1, and went back to bed.

Bag skate her.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Now fans here might understand why it was so important to get Tocchet in the driving seat asap.

We have a four year window we know what core we have.

So we have to do as much winning we can during those four years.

6-7 years.

And once Miller’s contract is over, Bedard should be a free agent by around then. Then our next 6-7 year window begins.

• Upvote 1