[PGT] Canucks at Sharts

Roger Neilsons Towel

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Seem to remember an 11-0 thrashing against CAL in the very early 90's...1992 I think (if someone hasn't already mentioned this), as our high water mark.   Even better because it was the Flames (revenge game for 89, we were walking on air after that one).   That's really cool though - didn't know this.  Think  we also did 11-1 once (was it CAL too?) ... so this is up there as the biggest thrashings ever! 

Yes, we beat Calgary 11-0 on March 1, 1992 at home.  We also beat Winnipeg 10-2 in Winnipeg on March 27, 1981.  We also beat Calgary in the playoffs in the first round in Calgary 7-0 on April 7, 1984.

Fun fact.  In that game against Calgary on March 1, 1992, Sergio Momesso had 4 points and a fight with Ronnie Stern.  There were 6 fights in that game and Gerald Diduck got thrown out for trying to injure his opponent with 3 seconds left in the game.  It was a wild night...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Going to say likely never.    The last time we had two killer lines was in the 90's, and Mogilny and Bure didn't play enough (Bure knees then contract ugh) ... This top six is starting to compare to the one we had in the early 90's... which was the most balanced group upfront.  1a, 1b - Mogilny's line and Bures line.   Messier was supposed to be our second line center we lost when Ronning wasn't re-signed making room for Gretzky ..  he had no indication of slowing down until he arrived and blew up the team.  

We've never had a defenceman like Hughes before, so we've never had a chance to have that top flight Dman in the top 10 in scoring.  He is the engine in the back that is pushing the other guys too.  I would say Hughes is our MVP right now and arguably the best player in the entire NHL right now.  He is a Dman but almost has as many points as his brother and Petey.  He is this generation's Bobby Orr to be quite honest with you.  I think right now he is better than Cale Makar and is easily better than Adam Fox, he can skate circles around Fox.

This could be the year Hughes wins the Norris.  And Petey could get the Hart, or the Art Ross or maybe the Selke.  Fuck, the way Hughes is playing he could get the Norris and the Hart.  How many Dmen have ever done that?  Bobby Orr?  Chris Pronger?  

Orr is the only player to ever win the Norris, Hart, Art Ross and Conn Smythe in the same year.  Obviously, you have to be a defenceman to win all 4 of those in the same year.  I don't think Hughes or Makar could ever win the Art Ross, but one of them could win the other 3 in the same year.  Makar came close already...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, we beat Calgary 11-0 on March 1, 1992 at home.  We also beat Winnipeg 10-2 in Winnipeg on March 27, 1981.  We also beat Calgary in the playoffs in the first round in Calgary 7-0 on April 7, 1984.

Fun fact.  In that game against Calgary on March 1, 1992, Sergio Momesso had 4 points and a fight with Ronnie Stern.  There were 6 fights in that game and Gerald Diduck got thrown out for trying to injure his opponent with 3 seconds left in the game.  It was a wild night...

Momesso was one of my favourite support players ever.    Wasn't quite skilled enough to be a power forward, but did his best to be one, and kept Ronning safe.    When was the last time we've had six fights in a game (aside from Tort line brawl)?    As for WNP, they were a close second as far as much watch games back then.   Seemed like every time we played them Murzyn fought Mathew and Brady's dad, guy was a big bully and avoided Antoski, Hunter, Odjick, Diduck, Momesso and any of our better fighters.

Can't re-call when exactly, maybe even 94, we spent almost as much real time beating the tar out of each other, as the actual game ... over 200pm handed out .. pretty sure there is a video out there if all the fights that game, and the other stuff going on around it, that would take probably 15 minutes just to watch lol.   Stern was a tough hombre.   They had a tough team too, so did WNP, but ours was even tougher, once Odjick was in the fold anyways.   Sandman was their nuclear deterrent, those guys came up together and rarely fought as a result.   But did anyways.  

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Right now he is.    A few years ahead of schedule? ... man are we lucky to have this guy.   Will be the first one to say, he's a lot more than I  thought possible.    Brian Campbell was the level I figured was reasonable, that guy was CHI best D  before he went to Florida (not Keith), a Canuck killer, very good in all three zones.   QHs had his offense right away, so figured best case he'd be a Brian Campbell in the other two zones with added offense, enough to put him in the Norris finalist zone from say 27-32.    Kids a kid still!   This is what it was like watching Paul Coffey and Phil Housley ... won't ever crush guys like Borque could.   Regardless we are witnessing history right now.   He's going to end up in the rafters.    Can't wait to see what this group of guys can do under Tochett/Foote/Gonchar in the playoffs. 

Quinn Hughes is at the same level as Paul Coffey right now.  I watched Paul Coffey's entire career.  Hughes is at his level.  The skating is the same, totally elite and effortless.  Hughes mom taught the brothers how to skate.  Hughes I think has more agility to get away from players than Coffey did.  Coffey was more an end-to-end guy.  Hughes has elite edge work.  I would put his edge work on the same level as Bobby Orr.

Nobody will ever be Bobby Orr.  But Hughes could get as close as possible.  Makar could too to be honest.  We will see what happens...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

When was the last time the Canucks had two of the top 4 defencemen scorers in the league? 3 of the top-6 scorers in the league? 4 of the top 6 +/-?

Our stars are really on a roll. We need to see more from our bottom 6 and we did tonight. Soucy played brilliantly too. Easy against a pathetic team like the Sharks but I'm sure we can keep it rolling against a few good teams coming up.

• Cheers 1

Point Night!!

Sharks looking like an early 90s expansion team and the Canucks have me feeling like the 2010, 2011 era teams where i'm EXPECTING an offensive onslaught every game.

That was so satisfying to watch. Canucks almost made that look effortless. Demko was solid, but he wasn't tested a lot, I would wager out of his 31 shots only 3 or 4 were dangerous. It is also nice not watching our D run around in their own zone completely lost. Great positional play and the puck support hnggggggg.

Quinn Hughes for Norris

Petey for Selke

Canucks for the CUP!

Let's load up on some hardware this season weeeeeooooooooooo!

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

They look pretty happy. It's important Elias is happy, very important! Maybe Elias will decide to be a lifer Canuck. 

Think maybe Brock does not ever want to go anywhere else..

I feel like Brock has always been the classiest most softspoken guy on the team.  It sucks that he’s had the most shitty set of circumstances throughout his career

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Quinn Hughes is at the same level as Paul Coffey right now.  I watched Paul Coffey's entire career.  Hughes is at his level.  The skating is the same, totally elite and effortless.  Hughes mom taught the brothers how to skate.  Hughes I think has more agility to get away from players than Coffey did.  Coffey was more an end-to-end guy.  Hughes has elite edge work.  I would put his edge work on the same level as Bobby Orr.

Nobody will ever be Bobby Orr.  But Hughes could get as close as possible.  Makar could too to be honest.  We will see what happens...

Only difference is Coffey had after burners, and could skate almost as fast backwards, QHs doesn't have that in his toolbox (yet anyways).   And he'd attack the zone relentlessly (very different styles really).     Coffey was actually not very nice lol.   If you burned him, just as likely to put his stick in your ribs, as he was to just go down and score, or even drop the gloves (he was pretty good at that too).    Was also my favourite player growing up.   So maybe i'm biased lol.   Coffey and Gretzky.   Went back and forth, but loved them equally and related to Coffey's game more.     

Not going to read too much into last nights game, but glad the lads padded their stats and our goal differential.  SJ is total trash, AHL teams probably would do better.   They have nobody left.  

Loved that we didn't take the foot off the gas though.    QHs is unique.   Wouldn't be bringing him into the Coffey, Orr, Potvin discussions just yet offensively.   But he seems to be on his way and maybe we are witnessing history right now.    The last time i've seen a defenseman have such an impact on his team was OTT and EK when he was young (pre-Cooke achilles stomp), the last truly great season i've seen from a defenseman was Pronger, who had two unreal seasons.  Truly great playoffs EK (actually had serious Conn Smythe consideration without making it to the final, and would have won it even if they got swept)      Sorry Makar, EK didn't have anything close to that to work with, and like Orr, Potvin and Coffey, joined them as only D's in history to be top eleven in scoring 3 times.   Now he's done it four times.   And yes he's not the same player defensively and hasn't been for years (since Cookes foot stomp, which is too bad, because he was trending to be a generational player like Crosby and Ovi at the time). 

QHs is well on his way, to having a Pronger season, even if it's a completely different playing style.     For our cases and his and especially the team, sure hope he does.    What a beaut! 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's amazing how Tocc figured out how to quiet down Myers adventures out there. 

I'd love to know what they talked about.

In the Nashville game, Myers held back on three pinches early (he could've gotten to the puck first in all three, imo), so I'm guessing he's been told to stop thinking he's Bobby Orr or Quinn Hughes and just play steady defensive hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's amazing how Tocc figured out how to quiet down Myers adventures out there. 

I'd love to know what they talked about.

park bench GIF

Joking aside.   Hope it was encouraging him to play out his career in his terms (Myers), and earn another NHL deal after this one.   Unlike what at times looks like  majority, I still think Myers has something to offer this league, and quite possibly this team still after this season.    Really want to see him and Soucy bullying the tar out of the opposition come playoff time.   Myers has some "IT" factor in him.  Did this for WNP in the playoffs, and was one of better defenders in the bubble despite some weak calls against him.   Glad he never left the foot of the gas.   Was one of the only players (him and Motte), despite playing injured, that didn't wilt playing Vegas.   We will need that if we want to get past them.   And the path through the cup likely goes through Vegas the next 3-4 seasons. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We've never had a defenceman like Hughes before, so we've never had a chance to have that top flight Dman in the top 10 in scoring.  He is the engine in the back that is pushing the other guys too.  I would say Hughes is our MVP right now and arguably the best player in the entire NHL right now.  He is a Dman but almost has as many points as his brother and Petey.  He is this generation's Bobby Orr to be quite honest with you.  I think right now he is better than Cale Makar and is easily better than Adam Fox, he can skate circles around Fox.

This could be the year Hughes wins the Norris.  And Petey could get the Hart, or the Art Ross or maybe the Selke.  Fuck, the way Hughes is playing he could get the Norris and the Hart.  How many Dmen have ever done that?  Bobby Orr?  Chris Pronger?  

Orr is the only player to ever win the Norris, Hart, Art Ross and Conn Smythe in the same year.  Obviously, you have to be a defenceman to win all 4 of those in the same year.  I don't think Hughes or Makar could ever win the Art Ross, but one of them could win the other 3 in the same year.  Makar came close already...

If we make the playoffs, Hughes 100% gets the Hart. 

He is the engine that keeps this team going. Unbelievable player.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

In the Nashville game, Myers held back on three pinches early (he could've gotten to the puck first in all three, imo), so I'm guessing he's been told to stop thinking he's Bobby Orr or Quinn Hughes and just play steady defensive hockey. 

This is a good point. I've always thought that if Myers just simplified his game, kept it simple, he'd be make less mistakes and be more effective. We have some world class Dmen as coaches, so who knows. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I doubt this is the case. I strongly suspect the entire d (Quinn notwithstanding) has been given the same guidelines on when to pinch and when not to, and mysie, being bought in, is just doing his best to honour those guidelines. sometimes it's a close play and your mind isn't made up right away.