[PGT] Canucks at Sharts

Roger Neilsons Towel

6 hours ago, Provost said:

The worst thing about tonight… I came back home from volunteering at 11pm with the game recorded.

Grabbed a whiskey and settled down on the couch to watch the game…

My wife who is long in bed gets up to use the bathroom and says “Can you believe the Canucks won 10-1, and went back to bed.

Poor you.  I'm sure you'd want to settle down and watch every minute without knowing the final score.   I loved every minute of the dominance.

6 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

He should be traded at the deadline if he keeps this up regardless of our standing.....

If he wants back as a 3rd pair we can resign but this management group seems to understand asset management... that's directed to all those pissy about a 3rd and Suter for Desmith and a 1st from NYI for a top pair D in Hronek..... true JT type deal.. Go Canucks Go

I think we only trade him if we are making an upgrade.  If we are still at a similar place in the standings, I would be fine just keeping him as an own rental.  If we can move him out and upgrade though, then you have something.  The Leafs did something similar last year if I remember correctly.  I don’t recall who the names were though.  The only downside may be interrupting team chemistry.  Myers has been around a long time and has bonds with the rest of the players.  

just watched the highlights..again... and i noticed those 2 pretty assists from Soucy...he was good this game. Also like to give cred to Friedman...hes a fighter, hope only some scratches from this one.

And a small positive for sharks...their best player was Zetterlund whom also scored. 

Edited by Mrwipeout
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rubik said:

wasn't a huge fan of running up the score like that though,

I don't like it either, but that's on the Sharks. There was so, so much open ice and loose play. After 6 goals the Canucks weren't even trying that hard, it looked like a shinny game. Sharks are going to need to find a way to compete and at least clog up the ice to prevent these type games. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

Nice win last night the team did what they needed to do.  I feel for the Sharks they could be one of the worst teams of all time.  At the moment they may struggle against good AHL teams.

100 percent. Abby would beat them.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dobson may not be as dynamic, but he's still a solid defenceman.

I bet Edmonton wishes they took Dobson over Bouchard.

This. I quite like Dobson. He is a number one dman, maybe not ever a Norris candidate, but could and will be a number one on many teams. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Nice win last night the team did what they needed to do.  I feel for the Sharks they could be one of the worst teams of all time.  At the moment they may struggle against good AHL teams.

This is my point. Does ownership even trust Grier with tanking? Maybe Vancouver can pull off a Montreal style trade fleecing with San Jose and get their first round pick this year. Like Montreal did with the Seals getting Guy Lafleur.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, tas said:

we all saw it 5 years ago. 

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Not even close.    Some of us did.   Was heavily criticized (and rightly so, to maybe fair, to maybe we should worry about him as the next Tyson Barrie) his sophomore year.    Let's do this right, that's me above.    Didn't hate the pick, felt we'd get a good player but also felt it could backfire as well...for sure was wrong and don't mind owning it.    Others who didn't mind, like or even loved the OJ pick... Heck folks were still bullish on JV right until the end.   So no I call bullshit.  

Edit:  We didn't "all" see what's happening right now, and would even say those that did, didn't predict it would come this soon either (and also likely said things about OJ and JV that didn't jive, EP too).   That QHs is working towards a Norris is incredible at his age.    Maybe JB saw it though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, tas said:

there's always a few dim bulbs on the strand of Christmas lights. 

Some dim bulbs who liked JV also wanted QHs... go figure.   Some even like the OJ pick and still somehow defends it.   Based on a couple outlier rankings.  Seriously though, not even the staff that drafted these guys, thought they'd be that good this soon.  They said as much and also adjusted their timeline (OEL trade ugh).   At least we seem to have patient folks managing the team now. 

• ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We've never had a defenceman like Hughes before, so we've never had a chance to have that top flight Dman in the top 10 in scoring.  He is the engine in the back that is pushing the other guys too.  I would say Hughes is our MVP right now and arguably the best player in the entire NHL right now.  He is a Dman but almost has as many points as his brother and Petey.  He is this generation's Bobby Orr to be quite honest with you.  I think right now he is better than Cale Makar and is easily better than Adam Fox, he can skate circles around Fox.

This could be the year Hughes wins the Norris.  And Petey could get the Hart, or the Art Ross or maybe the Selke.  Fuck, the way Hughes is playing he could get the Norris and the Hart.  How many Dmen have ever done that?  Bobby Orr?  Chris Pronger?  

Orr is the only player to ever win the Norris, Hart, Art Ross and Conn Smythe in the same year.  Obviously, you have to be a defenceman to win all 4 of those in the same year.  I don't think Hughes or Makar could ever win the Art Ross, but one of them could win the other 3 in the same year.  Makar came close already...

I'm in total agreement with everything you're saying, and your evaluation of QH, but there is not way the eastern media bias would ever allow him to win multiple awards in one season.  Same goes for Petey.

It's sad but true.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh i don't think there's many hockey bros that played together during their prime outside of the sedins... i think the closest to a brother wanting to play with another bro in their prime to win a cup was scott neidermeyer.. although rob neidermeyer really ain't much of a star player.. more of a bottom 6 role player.. and realistically if Luke comes as advertise and reaches his potential and he's looking exactly like quinn production wise in his 1st year.. they really can't afford to have all 3 of them without ridding important players and getting rid of contracts elsewhere regardless of the cap going up. hishier bratt meier one of them will have to go.. hischier is due for a contract the same time quinn reaches ufa.. so they prolly need to break the bank for hischier their captain and selke candidate.. they are still stuck with 1 year of hamilton at 9mil.. so really i don't see them having the cap space for it.. 

as for the salary cap.. i doubt it'll keep going up every year.. eventually profit will reach a saturation point and we will see small movement in the cap... unless the NHL can expand elsewhere in the world.. there's only so much profit they can make each year before it's capped out.

Geoff and Russ Courtnall? Phil and Tony Esposito? The Howe brothers and Gordie? although Gordie was ancient by then,Frank and Peter Mahovolich?Scott and Rob Nidermayer?Barclay and Bob Plager?Maurice and Henri Richard? Luke and Braden Schenn? Marian, Pete and Anton Statsny? Rich and Ron Sutter? Blake and Glenn Wesley? Not many for sure. Its easy to look this up by the way

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I feel like Brock has always been the classiest most softspoken guy on the team.  It sucks that he’s had the most shitty set of circumstances throughout his career

Agreed. Right now, Brock is playing even better then young Brock at the all Star break years ago. Kids been hit with very sad circumstances with his Dad

and some nasty injuries like that one where his back went into the boards at speed. So great to see his career becoming what it was meant to be./ Awesome..

• Cheers 1