[PGT] Canucks at Sharts

Roger Neilsons Towel

1 hour ago, Mikeyman109 said:

If it was a 22 game they would have challenged but being 10-1 they let it slide. Demmer loses the shutout but really would have been class less to challenge.

I don’t know if I agree with that. You gotta show you have your goaltenders back. The way Demko reacted on the ice he thought he was interfered with, and I’m sure the shutout was important enough to him that he would have appreciated the challenge. Especially with all of his friends and family from Cali in attendance. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

In hindsight it was the right call to not challenge that SJ goal even if was interference. I think RT is well aware of Vancouver not having a good reputation at times and didn't want to bring any criticism to the night.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny: SJ standing around like it was going to get called back and Tik Toc just let them stand around 'til they figured it out.

Just so many fun things in that game last night.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

We have a special team this year. JR/PA came in and said what they needed to do, and did it. Hiring Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote was a genius move. Thank you Aqua for buying out OEL. 

Who is the best Canucks player?

1. JT Miller

2. Elias Pettersson

3. Quinn Hughes

4. Thatcher Demko

The answer is 5. They're all awesome.

Not just the big stars either, I love the additions of Lafferty, Suter, Cole, Soucy, Friedman, Hronek and DeSmith. Heck, the Canucks still got Blueger waiting in the wings! 

Best team in Canada 

I'm just amazed at what they're accomplishing.

Really thought our Ozone game would have a set back to play a tighter game defensively. Nope, wrong there.

If there was a player to add to that core it would be our high minute man, Hronek. He has been worth the picks and then some with his play. I don't think Quinns numbers would be the same without pairing with Hronek. 

Our best addition bar none is Tocchet. This guy should be a front runner for the Jack Adams right now.

He has done some magic with our core and the buy in. Remembering last year when he was asked about Millers tantrums on some games and he just called it "mentally weak" or even when media ask about Peteys hat trick and said " but he had a few turnovers and he needs to clean that up". Also to have the awareness to have other coaches do some talking so players don't get tired of his voice.

Accountability and bringing it every game is still not perfect but he is bringing a better game out of almost every player compared to last year.

Looking forward to playing Dallas, Edmonton and a few other higher tiered teams (yes, still think Edmonton will bounce back from a slow start)

They need a barometer test similar to the Rangers who they could have beat if not for the slew foot on Petey. Lame non call of the year!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Not even close.    Some of us did.   Was heavily criticized (and rightly so, to maybe fair, to maybe we should worry about him as the next Tyson Barrie) his sophomore year.    Let's do this right, that's me above.    Didn't hate the pick, felt we'd get a good player but also felt it could backfire as well...for sure was wrong and don't mind owning it.    Others who didn't mind, like or even loved the OJ pick... Heck folks were still bullish on JV right until the end.   So no I call bullshit.  

Edit:  We didn't "all" see what's happening right now, and would even say those that did, didn't predict it would come this soon either (and also likely said things about OJ and JV that didn't jive, EP too).   That QHs is working towards a Norris is incredible at his age.    Maybe JB saw it though. 

what i saw, even before he was drafted, was a person with talent previously possessed by at most a small handful, and potentially only 1 or 2 previous players in the history of the league.

I saw a third generation, life-long scout, nearly giddily piss his pants with glee when the kid fell to him in the draft. 

it was never, ever in doubt for me.  

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I don’t know if I agree with that. You gotta show you have your goaltenders back. The way Demko reacted on the ice he thought he was interfered with, and I’m sure the shutout was important enough to him that he would have appreciated the challenge. Especially with all of his friends and family from Cali in attendance. 

As a goalie I completely agree with this however also as a goalie I would completely understand coaching not challenging it. Plus I don't think it would have been taken away either. Our defender guided him in. 

Edited by MikeyD

3 hours ago, tas said:

I doubt this is the case. I strongly suspect the entire d (Quinn notwithstanding) has been given the same guidelines on when to pinch and when not to, and mysie, being bought in, is just doing his best to honour those guidelines. sometimes it's a close play and your mind isn't made up right away. 

Gotta get them staples in there, and keep 'em in there!

ByXcco.gif

No unforced errors...Bap!

No chasing the puck carrier into the corner and leaving the net unguarded...Bap!

Kill...Bap! Kill...Bap! Kill...Bap! Kill...Bap! 

Don't screen your own goalie...Bap!

7 minutes ago, tas said:

saw a third generation, life-long scout, nearly giddily piss his pants with glee when the kid fell to him in the draft. 

Haha. Yip. JB was giddy. We watched that draft closely and couldn't believe QH dropped and Detroit passed on him. It was a no brainer. Me and my boy were ecstatic with the pick.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, tas said:

what i saw, even before he was drafted, was a person with talent previously possessed by at most a small handful, and potentially only 1 or 2 previous players in the history of the league.

I saw a third generation, life-long scout, nearly giddily piss his pants with glee when the kid fell to him in the draft. 

it was never, ever in doubt for me.  

Was for sure in doubt but then so was EP.   Theo Fluery,  Martin St. Louis, a lot of other guys, since i've been following the sport, were passed on because of size.   It's nothing new.  And it's not like he was obliterating the competition like some small guys either.  Heck even Garland led the CHL after he was passed in the draft.   Saying it's a foregone conclusion is kind of silly.   Since we are doing the "history of the league and all".  

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Was for sure in doubt but then so was EP.   Theo Fluery,  Martin St. Louis, a lot of other guys, since i've been following the sport, were passed on because of size.   It's nothing new.  And it's not like he was obliterating the competition like some small guys either.  Heck even Garland led the CHL after he was passed in the draft.   Saying it's a foregone conclusion is kind of silly.   Since we are doing the "history of the league and all".  

I never had any doubt. I'm not speaking for others. hughes looked like orr to me, not like a small offensive defenceman. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

I never had any doubt. I'm not speaking for others. hughes looked like orr to me, not like a small offensive defenceman. 

Gotcha.   Guess i'm talking things too literally "we all saw it five years ago" didn't include me, or a lot of folks I know too.   We are all wrong and none of them haven't said it even the old school farts a lot older than me.   He's a beauty.    Glad you got your guy and so am I.    Bouchard is doing ok I guess.   Lol. Whoops. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Haha. Yip. JB was giddy. We watched that draft closely and couldn't believe QH dropped and Detroit passed on him. It was a no brainer. Me and my boy were ecstatic with the pick.

That crazy emotion, a thumbs up and "that's a home run!"  has no place in something as serious as a draft.   "That's a small body " hope Burke has the balls to admit he was wrong too. 

• Haha 1

Man oh man....

Where to begin.... 

Sharks were really poor....but,

Quinn Hughes is really something special. The boy is getting better and better, and to watch him skate is like watching a swallow fly... he turns so effortless its unreal to see compared to others. He is in a total league of his own. 
Also his unselfishness is almost too much. Sets up chance after chance.... 

If Hughes stays healthy, this team can do some damage... zero doubt about that. 
Petey the magician, Miller the engine, Brock  the shooter, Kuz the happy boy, and Hronek the sidekick... this team has all the pillers needed.... backed up bu Demko. Its been a long time since rhis team has been this good.... bring it on. 

onwards and upwards

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Gotcha.   Guess i'm talking things too literally "we all saw it five years ago" didn't include me, or a lot of folks I know too.   We are all wrong and none of them haven't said it even the old school farts a lot older than me.   He's a beauty.    Glad you got your guy and so am I.    Bouchard is doing ok I guess.   Lol. Whoops. 

"we all" was just referring to the countless canucks fans that saw it from the start.