[PGT] Canucks at Sharts

Roger Neilsons Towel

Just now, LillStrimma said:

Still, don’t fool yourself. 
The Sedins got the Canucks a lot of fans due to they were twins and played really good.

Take one away and the value drops.

The Hughes can be three amasing players in the same club at the same time along with their parents connected also. 
The positive value of all of them together is unheard of in the NHL.

I challenge you, find another sieblings or family that can be as positive to a team as they can.

I disagree imagine a scf final vs one hughes brothers vs the others, now thats a story!

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not a coaches issue, but a management.  That said, Tocchet obviously didn't like something about OEL and was probably a significant part of the move.

I wouldn't say shouldering significant cap for a long period is looking for something to complain about.  Had they waited even a year, under a better defensive system, they might have been able to actually move him

There was that one shift that seemed to break the camel's back when the canucks were hemmed in and TWICE OEL wouldn't go out toward the point man with the puck. The second time was particularly bad when he was pussyfooting a few feet from the goalie, afraid to skate out to meet the shooter. 

It was soon after that that he was jettisoned. In retrospect I think he didn't want to injure his foot again but man, it was close to a Juolevi moment for me -- and maybe for Tocchet/management. 

There's a real world where Quinn and Jack become the most skilled two brothers to play in the NHL. In terms of family relations, it's hard to beat Bobby and Brett Hull, but that's a father-son relation. Other combinations that come to mind are the Bentleys, the Richards, the Mahovliches, the Hulls (Dennis and Bobby), the Espositos, and obvioulsy the Sedins.

Max and Doug Bentley both led the league in scoring at different times in the late 40s.

Maurice Richard is one the greatest goalscorers ever and Henri was a great player, but not quite on Maurice's level.

Both Mahovliches were amazing, but Frank was defnintely closer to the best in the league than Pete was. A bit similar to the Richards in that way.

The Hulls were also similar. Bobby was the league's best for a while and Dennis was very good, but never quite that good.

The Sedins were both near the top of the league in their primes, so they're closer to the Bentleys and as a duo, probably above the Richards, Hulls, and Mahovliches.

The Espositos were unique as a goalie/forward tandem. In his prime, Tony was the best in the NHL and Phil was pretty much there right behind Orr as well.

The Conachers might be an honourable mention since it gets hard to evaluate players from the 20s and 30s compared to the modern era.

Top three right now in some order are probably Sedins, Espositos, and Bentleys. If Jack can win the Hart at some point and Quinn the Norris, they might be right up there with them.

Hmm...might have to write an article on this...

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Definitely. What a class act. Such incredible energy. And plus, he's an amazing talent, on top of that. 

That guy can stick handle in a phone booth!

More than anything, on top of his amazing talent, he will make the locker room a joy joyous place to be.... He is definitely one of the personalities needed in any room... just so flipping jolly 🙂

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well know this won't be likely be a thing people like to hear,  but Eagle and Tanev had nobody at all behind them most of those years (until Myers anyways and look how folks rip him!) what the heck would you expect?   Hamhuis and Bieksa  moved on and they were already passed their due date ... 

For sure, I agree... That's where benning was supposed to find suitable support behind them, in order to compete.  Regardless, not sure if either Green or Chipmunk...  What's his name would have played a more attack style, puck possession game, even if they had the 'horse' to execute.  An answer we'll never know.  But whatev's, the present is way more fun than the past!  

Go canucks go!!!

Just now, tas said:

must mean his line doesn't have possession enough, cap dump him now for a bucket of pucks while you can. 

Haha I was just gonna ask about his possession. The most exciting part is when a player has a ton of hits or blocks, but also has good possession numbers. You know you've got a real gem then.

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not a coaches issue, but a management.  That said, Tocchet obviously didn't like something about OEL and was probably a significant part of the move.

I wouldn't say shouldering significant cap for a long period is looking for something to complain about.  Had they waited even a year, under a better defensive system, they might have been able to actually move him

What if they wait a year saddled with his 7.3 or whatever he made for better "asset management" and don't have the money to sign Soucy or Cole and find out the D still sucks when OEL and Myers are in your top 4 and we are once again bottom feeders? 

You then don't even have to worry about having money to sign Petey anyway because he'll probably just leave. 

I would rather take the current situation over running out the same roster as last year in hopes that RTs system alone is enough for the kind of improvement we are seeing today. Asset management is great but not at the expense of winning

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I don’t know if I agree with that. You gotta show you have your goaltenders back. The way Demko reacted on the ice he thought he was interfered with, and I’m sure the shutout was important enough to him that he would have appreciated the challenge. Especially with all of his friends and family from Cali in attendance. 

I hope Demko doesn't feel betrayed by his coach. It would be a terrible look for the team if Tocchet challenged it.  At best it's a 50/50 and if you're on the wrong end of their decree they go on the powerplay.  Not worth it, hope Demko can see it.  Sportsmanship really played a role in the 10-1 win.  Canucks showed real class by playing their 3rd and 4th lines more and giving their stars a break.