Get Kent Johnson (proposal)

No reclaimention projects. Thanks! That is what we have been doing for 50 years.......and we always seem to spend 2nd rounders, as well as additional assets.

Example:

Johnson for Podkolzin and a 2nd

Well, no..............Johnson has not proven he can play professional hockey, as he can not play away from the puck

We already know Podkolzin can play away from the puck, and he is now maturing in the AHL and developing his offensive game.......why would risk getting rid of a heavy body, playing better than Johnson, already?

And our 2nd, is important, and could be a gem in next years draft............all for a kid that can't play defense

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

No reclaimention projects. Thanks! That is what we have been doing for 50 years.......and we always seem to spend 2nd rounders, as well as additional assets.

Example:

Well, no..............Johnson has not proven he can play professional hockey, as he can not play away from the puck

We already know Podkolzin can play away from the puck, and he is now maturing in the AHL and developing his offensive game.......why would risk getting rid of a heavy body, playing better than Johnson, already?

And our 2nd, is important, and could be a gem in next years draft............all for a kid that can't play defense

We don't have a second rounder in next year's draft...

• Vintage 1

There is some speculation that he might request a trade out by end of season if not part of the main roster. Scored 40pts in his rookie year and is now in Vincent’s doghouse. He definitely needs to improve his game without the puck, but his ceiling as an O Forward is incredibly high. Would love to see him here but just not sure we have the space or need or even the right system (for him to thrive in)  right now. 

20 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Sure, if we want to be worse now even though management clearly wants to add to the roster. Kent Johnson isn't even deemed good enough to be on CBJ right now, but I'm guessing we think he can play in our top 6? Wild.

I wouldn’t do the deal now. However, in the summer we will have a BO 2.0 situation. Both Kuzmenko and Boeser will be one year from UFA. They’ll need new contracts. 

Pretty sure one will be traded. Can’t afford to keep both. It will be the same as Miller and BO. We will sign one and trade the other. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn’t do the deal now. However, in the summer we will have a BO 2.0 situation. Both Kuzmenko and Boeser will be one year from UFA. They’ll need new contracts. 

Pretty sure one will be traded. Can’t afford to keep both. It will be the same as Miller and BO. We will sign one and trade the other. 

I think management might find a way to get it done. 

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Johnson for Boeser is very interesting. 

Mostly just because of the cap savings 

but Brock has become a more complete player now 

toch saying how he plays a 200ft game  now he’s also on pace for a career year 

tbh Brock’s value is way higher than Johnson’s 

to me Brock trade  value now is on par with a solid no. 4 d man 

6 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

It's interesting how Brock has started to solitify a top line role. He has had to work on some things and he has. Last night I saw a quicker first three steps, harder shot, better physical body position. There were some times last two years, I wanted Brock gone, now, I'm wait and see what we got here. 

• Vintage 1

Johnson trade won’t be cheap.  He’s only 21 and was a top 5 overall pick.  Would probably take an overpay to get him.

Johnson

for

Garland + 1st + Podz

Only reason to do this is to get a good prospect and cap space.

5 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Johnson for Boeser is very interesting. 

this would be more of a future move I think. If cluombus is scratching him and then sending him to the AHL. Then he’s probably not ready. I don’t trust the Jackets and their ability to develop players. But if they’re scratching him. I’m not sure if I want to give up a lot to acquire him. I like Brock. He’s a Canuck through and through. But hey. If we can acquire Johnson for cheaper. I’m all for it. Buy low. 

6 hours ago, canucks curse said:

I agree, Boeser has been playing really well at both ends of the ice and he's using his size better in the offensive zone to retrieve pucks.

He's now playing like a 6.65 million per year player, maybe even a 7.5 million per year guy....if he can keep this up that is. This is the first time in his career that he's been better than a point per game guy. Part of that is line chemistry, they are all having good starts to the year, but its also the fact that they are all buying into Tocchet's system and game philosophy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, BPA said:

Johnson trade won’t be cheap.  He’s only 21 and was a top 5 overall pick.  Would probably take an overpay to get him.

Johnson

for

Garland + 1st + Podz

Johnson can’t play without the puck. So Alf says …

47885A91-E58C-4D11-B77A-A2A6AE3ADBF8.gif.38047f9c905217672c4c37dc9ab63020.gif

Was super high on Johnson at the draft, but players like him can be high risk, as only part of his skill set translate to the NHL level. 

Even with people mentioning Zegras i'm still not 100% sold on him.  Kid looks great on the highlight reels but most people don't see him getting walked, not back-checking, suicide passes, losing board battle after board battle. Not saying he is a bust as his skill and vision is off the charts too - i'm sure he will learn with better players around him, but still a lot to prove for me.

I still think that he can transform his game, but I would be willing to trade the high value pieces that Columbus would still want to part with him. 

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, BPA said:

Johnson

for

Garland + 1st + Podz

I would use these assets to get a no.3/4 RD and a solid bottom six guy

ex: JJ Moser and Lawson Crouse but now that ARZ doesn't suck I doubt they move these guys

On 11/4/2023 at 8:28 AM, JIAHN said:

Example:

Kent Johnson JUST turned 21 2 weeks ago. He's not a reclamation project. The kid is already scoring at near a 1/2  point a game.  Why is it ok for Podkolzin (who has shown virtually nothing at the NHL level and is 16 months older than Johnson) to work on developing his game in the AHL but Johnson is a reclaimention project? 

It's all academic because Columbus wouldn't consider that trade for a moment. 

• Cheers 1