[proposal] - Sign Hronek long term + Package Willander (mini-sweetener) & Garland for Rasmus Andersson

Alright,

I'll start of this post saying that I probably wouldn't do this deal because I love Willander, and also feel that there'd be too much risk in acquiring Andersson, only for him to leave once he becomes a UFA down the road.  However - if you, as a Canucks fan, have subscribed to the philosophy of, "we need to start winning now since all/most of our core players will be UFA's/RFA's within the next 4 years," then maybe this post makes sense.  Who knows......

Also - if 

1. Management feels that this Canucks team, with an added #3 calibre d-man, can legitimately compete with the likes of Colorado, Vegas, and Tampa Bay

2. It would take a LOT for Calgary to consider trading such a key piece to a divisional rival

Then I think Willander would have to be the key piece involved if Calgary was going to hand us Andersson and proceed to begin a tear down (though with Kadri, Huberdeau, and Weegar there, would a rebuild even be possible?).     

To ensure that the Canucks have long term depth on the right side, they sign Hronek long term (before said trade was to take place), and then they roll the dice and bank on the fact that the Canucks' strong performances over these next few seasons entice all of Pettersson, Boeser, Andersson, and Hughes to stay on with what I'd imagine to be a pretty formidable Canucks team (I haven't included Demko here just yet because if Silovs is ready to take the reigns three years from now just as Demko was for Markstrom, then I think you'd have to proceed with the younger goalie. Also haven't included Kuzmenko because if Boeser continues his current level of play + emergence of Lekkerimaki, then Kuzmenko might become the odd man out at some point).  

Your (cup contending?) Canucks:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikheyev

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Bluegar-Hoglander

Joshua-Lafferty-Beauvillier

Hughes-Andersson

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Demko

DeSmith

Losing Willander would suck.....a lot, but would three years of prime Rasmus Andersson be enough to move the needle for this team?   

If the presence of Andersson gave the Canucks a strong chance of finishing in the 2nd round this year, how significantly would this weigh on both Pettersson and Hronek wanting to sign here long term?  What about Boeser in a couple of seasons?  Hughes when he becomes a UFA?   Even if Andersson were to become a UFA at age 30, would he still be worth signing to a 5 year deal?  

I'm digressing a bit but my point remains.  If you want a 'prime' piece like Rasmus Andersson, I think it's going to cost us our most prized prospect.  We can "cream our pants" so to speak about packages involving Podkolzin, 2024 1st, and Hoglander landing you a premier young right handed defenseman, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be.  

Anyways, that's my thought on this. 

p.s.______________It's a bit off-topic but even with the loss of Willander (for Andersson), I could still see at least 1-3 of Raty, Podkolzin, and Lekkerimaki stepping into the line-up next season on ELC's which would give us even more cap flexibility, etc.   Also, if you were to use Willander as a mini-sweetener and move out Garland's contract in the process, it would give the Canucks a lot of cap flexibility since both Myers and Beauvillier would be off the books the following season.  The Canucks could then use that money on signing both Pettersson and Hronek long term instead of needing to invest money to bring in a Top 4 d-man,.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Trade targets?

Podkolzin

Klimovich

Hirose

Woo

That's great in theory, but will your "trade targets" actually be able to land anything of significance?   

For example, let's say that YOU were the GM of a team like San Jose, Calgary, or whomever.  You want to rebuild and you want prized prospects and/or picks in return for some of your in-prime assets (i.e. Tomas Hertl, Rasmus Andersson, etc.).  Would YOU want a

-Former 10th overall pick that has struggled to make the NHL in his D+4 year

-B' "meh" level prospect

-decent prospect but a long shot to be a superstar

-almost a write-off/bust at this point

Would YOU give up a young in-his-prime asset for any of the above four?

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

That's great in theory, but will your "trade targets" actually be able to land anything of significance?   

For example, let's say that YOU were the GM of a team like San Jose, Calgary, or whomever.  You want to rebuild and you want prized prospects and/or picks in return for some of your in-prime assets (i.e. Tomas Hertl, Rasmus Andersson, etc.).  Would YOU want a

-B' "meh" level prospect

47885A91-E58C-4D11-B77A-A2A6AE3ADBF8.gif.38047f9c905217672c4c37dc9ab63020.gif

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

-B' "meh" level prospect

I think they could be added pieces in a Garland or Beauvillier trade. Picks are probably also on the table. 

On 11/4/2023 at 10:15 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

Alright,

I'll start of this post saying that I probably wouldn't do this deal because I love Willander, and also feel that there'd be too much risk in acquiring Andersson, only for him to leave once he becomes a UFA down the road.  However - if you, as a Canucks fan, have subscribed to the philosophy of, "we need to start winning now since all/most of our core players will be UFA's/RFA's within the next 4 years," then maybe this post makes sense.  Who knows......

Also - if 

1. Management feels that this Canucks team, with an added #3 calibre d-man, can legitimately compete with the likes of Colorado, Vegas, and Tampa Bay

2. It would take a LOT for Calgary to consider trading such a key piece to a divisional rival

Then I think Willander would have to be the key piece involved if Calgary was going to hand us Andersson and proceed to begin a tear down (though with Kadri, Huberdeau, and Weegar there, would a rebuild even be possible?).     

To ensure that the Canucks have long term depth on the right side, they sign Hronek long term (before said trade was to take place), and then they roll the dice and bank on the fact that the Canucks' strong performances over these next few seasons entice all of Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Andersson, and Hughes to stay on with what I'd imagine to be a pretty formidable Canucks team (I haven't included Demko here just yet because if Silovs is ready to take the reigns three years from now just as Demko was for Markstrom, then I think you'd have to proceed with the younger goalie).   

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Bluegar-Beauvillier

Hoglander-Lafferty-Joshua

Hughes-Andersson

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Demko

DeSmith

Losing Willander would suck.....a lot, but would three years of prime Rasmus Andersson be enough to move the needle for this team?   

If the presence of Andersson gave the Canucks a strong chance of finishing in the 2nd round this year, how significantly would this weigh on both Pettersson and Hronek wanting to sign here long term?  What about Kuzmenko in a couple of seasons?  Hughes when he becomes a UFA?   Even if Andersson were to become a UFA at age 30, would he still be worth signing to a 5 year deal?  

I'm digressing a bit but my point remains.  If you want a 'prime' piece like Rasmus Andersson, I think it's going to cost us our most prized prospect.  We can "cream our pants" so to speak about packages involving Podkolzin, 2024 1st, and Hoglander landing you a premier young right handed defenseman, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be.  

Anyways, that's my thought on this. 

p.s.______________It's a bit off-topic but even with the loss of Willander (for Andersson), I could still see at least 1-3 of Raty, Podkolzin, and Lekkerimaki stepping into the line-up next season on ELC's which would give us even more cap flexibility, etc.  Myers + Beauviller = gonzo.

So, #1, we definitely need to sign Hronek long-term. I'm hoping that we can do something around 7.5 x 8 years, but I think we're probably going north of that number.

#2, the reason your trade isn't advisable, you really need those ELC contracts to keep your cap controlled. Willander looks like he is capable of being the solid, top 4 RD for a lot of years to come and assuming that he turns pro at the end of this college season, that means that we could having him playing on the bottom pairing for a really nice, cost controlled number.

I'm going to say something that a lot on this board won't be happy about. We are NOT a cup contender this year. We are playing a solid team defense, but Demko is still facing way too many high quality chances. Before we can really be called a contender, we need to trade (exchange) Beauvillier and Garland for guys who should be playing on the 3rd and 4th lines as a natural position and we need one more top 4 RD. Friedman has been an okay fill in, but  he's playing sheltered minutes for a reason.

We have deficiencies that we can only realistically address through trade, but trade needs to be roster player for roster player. Let our prosects continue to develop, let's focus on moving guys who are already in the lineup, but not playing natural positions.

Our defense next season is essentially going to be:

Hughes / Hronek

Soucy / player to be named later

PTBNL / PTBNL

Don't be surprised if 2 of the guys on the PTBNL, right side are named, Willander and Myers. As long as Myers plays a simple game, I could see him getting re-signed around 2 million per to play the bottom pair and clear the net.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, YourTimeisNow said:

Fun fact: Andersson was the pick the Flames made when we traded it to them for Sven Baertschi.

Maybe we just should have made the pick…🤷🏻‍♂️

It's interesting trivia, but you can't assume Vancouver would have made the same pick.  Even of they had, there's no guarantee he would have developed the same in the Canucks organization.  

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

It's interesting trivia, but you can't assume Vancouver would have made the same pick.  Even of they had, there's no guarantee he would have developed the same in the Canucks organization.  

You’re right about that!

It was still a bad trade, and part of the era where we gave away 2nds like candy.

I’m kind of hoping we can be on the other end of one of those, when someone gives us a 2nd for Beauvillier at the deadline 😆

Pass. Having players step in and contribute while they're still on their entry level deals is going to be key while Petey, Hughes, Miller and Hronek are all making big bucks and we're still having to deal with OEL'S buyout. That's why I consider both Willander and Lek to be untouchables. If we had more cap flexibility then maybe, but as it stands having impact players on ELCs is the only way we're going to have sustained success going forward. 

• Cheers 2

On 11/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

-B' "meh" level prospect

Hey man! Everyone wants a B "meh" level prospect. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, YourTimeisNow said:

You’re right about that!

It was still a bad trade, and part of the era where we gave away 2nds like candy.

I’m kind of hoping we can be on the other end of one of those, when someone gives us a 2nd for Beauvillier at the deadline 😆

Then we flip that 2nd and our 2025 2nd for a young depth player we convince ourselves has to potential to be something more. This is the way. 

The team is performing very well right now, so I'm not sure of the need to adjust anything just yet.

Are the Canucks in the mindset that they can be a contender?  Is it not good enough to simply

make the playoffs and provide some experience for a young core that hasn't had that chance yet?

The current franchise is finally in a position where the 1st generation of core players are ready to

take the next step.  At the same time, they also appear to be set up to develop their prospects

into NHL players and help them to climb as high as they can.  It seems to me that the greatest

teams in hockey have had a way of maintaining a bridge that provides new talent stepping up to

the big club.  Always nice to have reinforcements with ELCs to keep the skill level high and keep

the salary cap at manageable.

On 11/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, VegasCanuck said:

So, #1, we definitely need to sign Hronek long-term. I'm hoping that we can do something around 7.5 x 8 years, but I think we're probably going north of that number.

#2, the reason your trade isn't advisable, you really need those ELC contracts to keep your cap controlled. Willander looks like he is capable of being the solid, top 4 RD for a lot of years to come and assuming that he turns pro at the end of this college season, that means that we could having him playing on the bottom pairing for a really nice, cost controlled number.

I'm going to say something that a lot on this board won't be happy about. We are NOT a cup contender this year. We are playing a solid team defense, but Demko is still facing way too many high quality chances. Before we can really be called a contender, we need to trade (exchange) Beauvillier and Garland for guys who should be playing on the 3rd and 4th lines as a natural position and we need one more top 4 RD. Friedman has been an okay fill in, but  he's playing sheltered minutes for a reason.

We have deficiencies that we can only realistically address through trade, but trade needs to be roster player for roster player. Let our prosects continue to develop, let's focus on moving guys who are already in the lineup, but not playing natural positions.

Our defense next season is essentially going to be:

Hughes / Hronek

Soucy / player to be named later

PTBNL / PTBNL

Don't be surprised if 2 of the guys on the PTBNL, right side are named, Willander and Myers. As long as Myers plays a simple game, I could see him getting re-signed around 2 million per to play the bottom pair and clear the net.

I'll eventually comment on this post when I have time.  

You have a lot of good thoughts and I'll eventually respond to this.  

• Cheers 1

On 11/8/2023 at 1:34 AM, YourTimeisNow said:

Fun fact: Andersson was the pick the Flames made when we traded it to them for Sven Baertschi.

Maybe we just should have made the pick…🤷🏻‍♂️

Fun fact Canucks drafted Juolevi 6th OA....

Maybe not every drafted Dman turns into gold....

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Willander may well be better than Anderson and in not that long a time. I'd rather we trade away Lekker or Podz before Willander to be honest, those other guys are more projects.

I'd rather not trade any of those guys. We're going to need them, not only to perform up to their ceilings, and help with the cap situation. 

On 11/4/2023 at 10:15 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

................1. Management feels that this Canucks team, with an added #3 calibre d-man, can legitimately compete with the likes of Colorado, Vegas, and Tampa Bay

Then I think Willander would have to be the key piece .........    

To ensure that the Canucks have long term depth on the right side, they sign Hronek long term ............

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Bluegar-Beauvillier

Hoglander-Lafferty-Joshua

Hughes-Andersson

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Demko

DeSmith

Losing Willander would suck...........   

........  If you want a 'prime' piece like Rasmus Andersson, I think it's going to cost us our most prized prospect.  We can "cream our pants" so to speak about packages involving Podkolzin, 2024 1st, and Hoglander landing you a premier young right handed defenseman, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be.  

Sure. Management has made it known that they're looking' to shore up our D with a RD acquisition of some kind. And it could very well take Willander added to make such happen, either with Calgary or whatever team. However, we do have prospects in the junior and college ranks that could be enticing without having to include the likes of our top round picks.

I agree that we'd have to sign Hronek. It'd suck to lose him after acquiring him in a somewhat blockbuster trade after one season with us. It would feel like when we got Toffoli and then he was gone  to free agency. Don't want that again. Hronek is key to our organization and I believe it's why Management made that trade for him.

Why not include Beauvillier along with your proposal, nix Willander and include a couple of AHL guys?!?!??!? In return we get said Andersson and they give us a promising forward of some sort...a big one!!!!!! As far as cap goes.....if they want to include another contract going to us it will depend on who it is.

Do we have enough D depth after the above pairings post proposal? Sure. That lineup would truly give us the juevos to compete with the NHL powerhouse elite, but at this point in time....Why?!?!?!??? Let's just get in the playoffs first and then see what we have. 

On 11/4/2023 at 10:51 AM, Nucker67 said:

IMO, the untouchable prospects:

Raty (because they have few good Cs)

Lekkerimaki

Alriksson

Willander

Brzustewicz

Pettersson

Trade targets?

Podkolzin

Klimovich

Hirose

Woo

I agree with you here, but I believe the OP is correct in that an inclusion of a top prospect is what it'll take to get the likes of Andersson. I think your trade targets are doable, but I'm sure Calgary wants more! They'll want something like Bains, Truscott, Kudryavtsev, or a combination of such included. Not to mention a future draft pick. 

At the end of it all, in keeping with the OP topic, uhhhh..........NO!

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

I think 7.5 will likely be at or around the correct number.  As good as he is, Hronek isn't a franchise defenseman.  He's a #2 calibre d-man and so I think 7.5 should be a realistic target.  

Agreed that you need those ELC contracts to keep your cap controlled and so that's where I see guys like Raty, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, and Hirose coming in.  For the forwards listed I hear, I could see 1-3 of those guys realistically stepping into our line-up next season.  The only reason why I mention Willander here is because he's probably the only prospect that we have that could really bring in someone significant.  I only many posters on here have mentioned guys like Podkolzin, but Podz doesn't have a whole lot of value right now and would probably be seen more as a reclamation project.  Given where we are in the standings, our 2024 1st probably wouldn't have a lot of value as well and so even if you tried to package Podkolzin and a 2024 1st, the ROI probably isn't going to be as high as we'd like it to be.  

If the Canucks are looking to bring in a guy that could really move the needle AND move a contract (i.e. Beauvillier) in order to bring back a needle-moving piece, then Willander is probably your guy.  Now - would I do this personally?  Probably not.  Playing Devil's Advocate however, there's certainly an argument to be made that the Canucks need to take some significant steps over these next 4 years.  Petey and Hronek are RFA's at the end of this season, while Brock and Kuzmenko will be UFA's in two years.  Demko will be a UFA in 3 years while Quinn will be in 4.  Peak Miller will probably only be around for 3 seasons at most.  Bottom line?   We might need to make an aggressive push starting NOW.

Agreed.........and so I'm going to ask you a question given the above.  To what extent would bringing in a significant piece (i.e. a #2A/#3 calibre defenseman) help limit these high danger chances that you speak of?  For example, let's say we bring in Rasmus Andersson.  We play him with Hughes, and then Hronek goes to the 2nd pairing to play with Cole or Soucy (and then one of those guys move down to play with Myers, which then gets Friedman out of the line-up).  Would said piece put us in the same weight class as a team like Vegas?

@VegasCanuck

On 11/10/2023 at 4:34 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Willander may well be better than Anderson and in not that long a time. I'd rather we trade away Lekker or Podz before Willander to be honest, those other guys are more projects.

I would as well (i.e. trade Lekker or Podz), but Podkolzin probably doesn't have a whole lot of value right now.  He's a D+4 player and still hasn't cracked our line-up.  He has a lot of potential but I can't see other teams giving us a significant "win now" asset with Podkolzin being one the main pieces going the other way.  

I like the idea of keeping Lekkerimaki because we'll likely have to part ways with one of Boeser or Kuzmenko at some point.  

• Jeremy Hronek changed the title to [proposal] - Sign Hronek long term + Package Willander & Beauvillier for Rasmus Andersson (changed from Garland to Beauvillier)
4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I think 7.5 will likely be at or around the correct number.  As good as he is, Hronek isn't a franchise defenseman.  He's a #2 calibre d-man and so I think 7.5 should be a realistic target.  

Agreed that you need those ELC contracts to keep your cap controlled and so that's where I see guys like Raty, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, and Hirose coming in.  For the forwards listed I hear, I could see 1-3 of those guys realistically stepping into our line-up next season.  The only reason why I mention Willander here is because he's probably the only prospect that we have that could really bring in someone significant.  I only many posters on here have mentioned guys like Podkolzin, but Podz doesn't have a whole lot of value right now and would probably be seen more as a reclamation project.  Given where we are in the standings, our 2024 1st probably wouldn't have a lot of value as well and so even if you tried to package Podkolzin and a 2024 1st, the ROI probably isn't going to be as high as we'd like it to be.  

If the Canucks are looking to bring in a guy that could really move the needle AND move a contract (i.e. Beauvillier) in order to bring back a needle-moving piece, then Willander is probably your guy.  Now - would I do this personally?  Probably not.  Playing Devil's Advocate however, there's certainly an argument to be made that the Canucks need to take some significant steps over these next 4 years.  Petey and Hronek are RFA's at the end of this season, while Brock and Kuzmenko will be UFA's in two years.  Demko will be a UFA in 3 years while Quinn will be in 4.  Peak Miller will probably only be around for 3 seasons at most.  Bottom line?   We might need to make an aggressive push starting NOW.

Agreed.........and so I'm going to ask you a question given the above.  To what extent would bringing in a significant piece (i.e. a #2A/#3 calibre defenseman) help limit these high danger chances that you speak of?  For example, let's say we bring in Rasmus Andersson.  We play him with Hughes, and then Hronek goes to the 2nd pairing to play with Cole or Soucy (and then one of those guys move down to play with Myers, which then gets Friedman out of the line-up).  Would said piece put us in the same weight class as a team like Vegas?

@VegasCanuck

So, the reason I say this isn't a cup team this year is, I don't believe that in this cap situation, they can make the moves necessary without overpaying.

I think there is an immediate opportunity to add Zadorov without adding too much to make the deal happen. I think offering them Friedman (they will need a D back) and Beauvillier with retention to make the numbers work, and possibly a later round pick could make it work. I would only do this type of move if Zadorov had already agreed to an extension at a rate that won't cripple us.

Past Zadorov, we still have needs to round out the lineup and there are maybe 5 teams in the league with the cap flexibility who could help us make those moves happen. All of those teams know that they can extract a heavy price for leveraging that space.

Willander looks like he has the ability to develop into a top 4 RD and those are expensive to aquire, so I wouldn't move him, especially during these trading conditions as we wouldn't come close to maximizing return and part of the reason our rebuild has taken so long is, we've done too much of that.

My opinion, do cost sensitive moves and upgrades, but not anything major until summer. I believe that this team can give any team in the west a really hard series, but I don't think we can beat Vegas. Let this group show what they can do this season and learn from their mistakes. A run in the playoffs will give us a clearer picture of our deficiencies and how to address them next summer when the whole league has more space to make moves and to accommodate moves.

I actually think we have the core talent level in our team and system, necessary to challenge for the Cup in a serious way, but rushing things could undermine that.

Stay the course, I really think that next season could be ours.

• Cheers 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:34 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Or on the other side of things maybe Willander isn’t as good as Andersson and we got a great top pairing 50 point right handed dman in his prime locked up cheap for 2 more years at 4.5 mill a season.

You know it’s probably what it would take to make the Flames do it if most of the fans are uneasy about the trade proposal. I do think the only way Andersson comes to Vancouver via trade is with Willander. If we’re looking like a top team still at the trade deadline I’d probably do it.

• Like 1

Vegas and Colorado are the top 2 teams in the West. I don't think the Canucks are so far off that we need multiple pieces to compete with these teams. An upgrade at RHD might be enough to push us over the top. As much as it would suck to give up a top prospect, if it gets us that player that will make us a contender it won't be the worst decision to make. I know people are jaded by the last few years but as the Hronek deal showed, if the right player is available then it make sense to be aggressive. Not a bad proposal OP.

• Cheers 1