[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

Quite pleased with the 2-0  result tonight - they were relatively sound on D most of the time and in general, kept the Stars somewhat to the outside - though they can improve even further. Still a nail-biter going to the third but that is to be expected when two of the hotter teams meet.  

The next 4 games are against offensive teams so RT + his staff will need to continuing addressing the defensive details - getting a decent start (or not to fall behind early) and to Stay Out of the box. All those teams will be playing desperate hockey since they have not gotten the start they wanted - and will use the Canucks as a starting point - so will need to prepare accordingly.

At least for tonight we can enjoy the W - then back to work to prepare against the hungry Oilers.    Go Canucks

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Ribs  We should get rid of the Bruce reaction, the Tank reaction, and the Elephant reaction.  In their places, we should add a Miller reaction, a Demko reaction and a Tocchet reaction..

Make them.  You can even use basic free graphics programs to do it.  Adobe PS isn't needed.

*edit* Elias.  I was saying that to you, not Ribs... lol

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

5 American players, 4 Swedish players, 3 Russian players, 1 Canadian player.

Sad but true.  I am sure McDavid and Bedard will get on that list eventually, but the Americans and the Swedes still have them for total players.  On top of that all of the great goalies are either Russian or American...

Marnier, Mckinnon, Makar should eventually even it all out. But there is something about a Canadian hockey player that always has an advantage, even if there not top 10 or whatever in points. Example Mark Stone. Never ever would be in the top 10 in scoring. Top 20 yes, but just as important or even more plays that slightly more harder Canadian hockey way. If I built team Canada he would be on there way before quite a few other non Canadians that happen to have more points, but waaay less overall game. Stone is just one example. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Vancan said:

Marnier, Mckinnon, Makar should eventually even it all out. But there is something about a Canadian hockey player that always has an advantage, even if there not top 10 or whatever in points. Example Mark Stone. Never ever would be in the top 10 in scoring. Top 20 yes, but just as important or even more plays that slightly more harder Canadian hockey way. If I built team Canada he would be on there way before quite a few other non Canadians that happen to have more points, but waaay less overall game. Stone is just one example. 

this is a stupid cnversation.

They are Canucks.

If they are not canadian, I bet every one of them wishes they were when the fans sing Oh Canada.

6 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

We have players whose can score goals, we have elite goaltending, and now we have players whose know how to play defence as well.

We finally have a completed team.

Yes, little one. But you have more to learn. Do we have the heart. Do we have the fight. Do we have the crazy bitch from 4th avenue.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Absolute clinical win.

We could have won that game 5-1 super easily. We got unlucky we only scored 2. 

This year's most impressive win. We made Dallas look mediocre. 

That’s a stretch. Dallas played well. We were the better team and Demko played lights out. But give credit where it’s due. Dallas was far from mediocre. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I have no issue with him going 1st overall.  He was supposed to be generational.  Nobody expected greatness from him in his first 2 or 3 years though. 

However, last year was his coming out party and he excelled.  He doesn't have the young excuse anymore, because he no longer is.  He needs to get in gear and play up to his skill level.

Absolutely agree and your right. However if he was drafted around the 8th or higher area, I believe we wouldn't be having this convo. Once again a defenceman should never be drafted number 1. He is exactly where a high top 10 draft defenceman should be. 

1 minute ago, Karma-Kazi44 said:

That’s a stretch. Dallas played well. We were the better team and Demko played lights out. But give credit where it’s due. Dallas was far from mediocre. 

Not only that but I just found out that this was Dallas' 3rd game in 4 nights.    

Canucks passed the test tonight but I'm interested to see how we fare against a team with both teams equally well rested.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

now the logic of Petey for Jack and Luke Hughes looks a bit kinda tempting? Mathews would come if we had 3 hughes.

Jack Hughes has far more value than Petey.  Hughes will have an 8 million cap hit/AAV for a very long time while Pettersson is going to get around 12 million at minimum.  Both men have equivalent production.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Not only that but I just found out that this was Dallas' 3rd game in 4 nights.    

Canucks passed the test tonight but I'm interested to see how we fare against a team with both teams equally well rested.

100% agree. when is our first game against the kings. That should be a good one. They are a tough team with a balanced attack. Should be another hard fought game 

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

To think of all the people who said this team will always suck until we get some Canadian content on it.  Have a look at that list and count the number of Canadians.  Sad but true.

America's going to overtake Canada in hockey. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Jack Hughes has far more value than Petey.  Hughes will have an 8 million cap hit/AAV for a very long time while Pettersson is going to get around 12 million at minimum.  Both men have equivalent production.  

how the heck did New Jersey get Jack to sign for 8M? 

What a rip off, for Jack Hughes, I mean. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Absolutely agree and your right. However if he was drafted around the 8th or higher area, I believe we wouldn't be having this convo. Once again a defenceman should never be drafted number 1. He is exactly where a high top 10 draft defenceman should be. 

We agree on everything except the draft position.  I'm ok with him going #1 as long as, in the end, he lives up to it. 

I remember that draft like it was yesterday though.  A couple of times I waffled between Svechnikov, Tkachuk, and Dahlin.  By draft time, I settled on Dahlin. 

To be honest, if I had to choose today, I'd still go defence.  I'd waffle between Hughes and Dahlin.  I think I'd still land on Dahlin though because of his ceiling being as high as it is.

15 minutes ago, Tusk said:

this is a stupid cnversation.

They are Canucks.

If they are not canadian, I bet every one of them wishes they were when the fans sing Oh Canada.

Well players leaving Canadian markets cause of less pressure, less taxes, less travel, snow, etc, etc says otherwise. Promice I am very pro Canadian hockey and still believe we produce the best overall players, but we seriously can't be that ignorant to think the rest of the hockey world has almost caught up. Countries have been recruiting Canadian coaches and trainers, power skaters, etc for decades now. More money to invest, more population equals more people playing equals more chances for great players. We sure had a hell of a run though!! 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Quite pleased with the 2-0  result tonight - they were relatively sound on D most of the time and in general, kept the Stars somewhat to the outside - though they can improve even further. Still a nail-biter going to the third but that is to be expected when two of the hotter teams meet.  

The next 4 games are against offensive teams so RT + his staff will need to continuing addressing the defensive details - getting a decent start (or not to fall behind early) and to Stay Out of the box. All those teams will be playing desperate hockey since they have not gotten the start they wanted - and will use the Canucks as a starting point - so will need to prepare accordingly.

At least for tonight we can enjoy the W - then back to work to prepare against the hungry Oilers.    Go Canucks

I can see Monday being a loss. Edmonton not happy, will want to get some revenge against the Canucks. 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see Monday being a loss. Edmonton not happy, will want to get some revenge against the Canucks. 

They may want to but they still have AHL quality D and goaltending, plus the gutless flopper they have wearing the C is still nursing an owie.  A decent beer league team could beat the Oilers.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Hell of a GM!! Pasternack was what? 5.5mil for quite a while to. Sometimes you score with a great contract, sometimes you pay Myers 6 million a season. 

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

13 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Hell of a GM!! Pasternack was what? 5.5mil for quite a while to. Sometimes you score with a great contract, sometimes you pay Myers 6 million a season. 

Hughes was 19 years old, coming off of a 31 point season, and maybe he wasn't willing to bet on himself, and upon advice from his agent and family he took big money and ran with it....but he's obviously already outplaying that contract....

Definitely NJ for the W