[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I disagree. 

This game was way more fun to watch. Both goalies were on their A game. Both teams played great. We won. 

SJS game was kinda boring one sided affair. Like a minor league vs a pro team. 

This game had excitement.  

Yeah, after the third goal Thursday, it was clearly gonna be a laffer, and my interest went way down.

I noticed that the players hardly showed much emotion on the last 5 or 6 goals, and I didnt see much high-fiving the bench after a lot of goals.  A little extra sign of class, IMO.

My heart was beating like crazy on this one, so much more tense, especially when Dallas turned it up a notch.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, The Duke said:

This team has had some great stretches the last 2 years (wasted due to poor starts) and the bubble playoff run was fabulous. 

It’s not some out of nowhere surprise that we’ve turned it around.  And while I’m not sure exactly how good we are, I dare say it should be sustainable if we stay reasonably healthy. Allvin saw our biggest weaknesses and went overkill trying to fix them.

On that note, I do think the overall structure is better this year - and the PK and defence is noticeably improved - so it’s not the same as the Bruce bump (or post Bruce bump).

But we’ve seen glimpses of this team’s talent - our top end players were legit even in looser environments.  And for all the players brought in, it’s still the same old core driving the bus (plus Hronek). Now that they’ve all bought in to Tocchet and co’s plan it’s great to see.

Nice to see them putting themselves in a great position to start the year, as well.  

Minus Horvat.  New captain, new culture.

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes. Great signing by JR and PA

Cole and Friedman have NOT allowed a goal against when paired together in the last 8 games. Crazy Stat...

Except for the Sharks pp goal.  That was on their watch

37 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Cole is such a beast.

Playing so good. That hit on Duchesne was at a great time in the game. Got the team pumped and got momentum. 

I mean after he made one of the best checks in Canucks recent memory, he threw down the other that came in to "stick up for his teammate" and then they get an instigator. They have a Gordie Howe hat trick, goal, assist, fight. New unofficial saying. "The Ian Cole hat trick" Massive hit, fight, power play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sabres have been quite inconsistent this season but it really feels like they're ready to take the training wheels off.

They have offensive talent but after seeing about 6 games of them this season it's their defense oddly enough that's the issue.

Dahlin isn't nearly as impressive as I thought he'd be. He is very prone to poor defensive plays and not being attentive enough. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Sabres have been quite inconsistent this season but it really feels like they're ready to take the training wheels off.

They're young with a rookie goaltender.  Inconsistency is pretty much their expected identity.

For as much as many pundits got wrong about the Canucks so far, they had the Sabres pretty much pegged dead on as did a fair number on this board. 

My guess is they either just squeak into the playoffs or miss them by a point or two like last year.  Their hopes lay with the rookie goaltender's fortunes and how consistently they can put the puck in the net.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Team has shown that they can compete with the top teams, Rangers and Stars. Still have to play Vegas and Colorado but I am looking forward to it.

Boeser looked unreal tonight, he could’ve easily had 3 goals, just missed the net a lot. Other than that a really good game.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I love this interview, humble but confident with a touch of ass kicking.

i suppose we should all learn from him too... lets not get too emotional over the good and bad stuff, keep it even keel.

one thing that impresses me is how he runs team meetings, making the guys say the stuff that needs to be said, it really helps when your team gets involved

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Except for the Sharks pp goal.  That was on their watch

Ya 5 on 5 they haven't allowed a goal against. PP is different doesn't really count.

×/- doesn't count fpr any player on PP either.  Offense or defense. 

12 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, after the third goal Thursday, it was clearly gonna be a laffer, and my interest went way down.

I noticed that the players hardly showed much emotion on the last 5 or 6 goals, and I didnt see much high-fiving the bench after a lot of goals.  A little extra sign of class, IMO.

My heart was beating like crazy on this one, so much more tense, especially when Dallas turned it up a notch.

i also agree...

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

9 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Dahlin isn't nearly as impressive as I thought he'd be. He is very prone to poor defensive plays and not being attentive enough. 

Yeah.  He's starting slow for him after having such a good year last season. 

He's at least contributing offensively, but for now, Power is even doing better than him on defense.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

To think of all the people who said this team will always suck until we get some Canadian content on it.  Have a look at that list and count the number of Canadians.  Sad but true.

5 American players, 4 Swedish players, 3 Russian players, 1 Canadian player.

Sad but true.  I am sure McDavid and Bedard will get on that list eventually, but the Americans and the Swedes still have them for total players.  On top of that all of the great goalies are either Russian or American...

7 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

To think of all the people who said this team will always suck until we get some Canadian content on it.  Have a look at that list and count the number of Canadians.  Sad but true.

Wow. Interesting catch. 

We definitely need some Canadians in the top 10. I'm sure McDavid will have something to say by the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Anyone surprised by the absence of one Bo Horvat on that list? ...probably nobody here.

8.5 million well spent there, Lamoriello.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya 5 on 5 they haven't allowed a goal against. PP is different doesn't really count.

×/- doesn't count fpr any player on PP either.  Offense or defense. 

Shorties do.  A + for the shorties on ice and a minus for the victims 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah.  He's starting slow for him after having such a good year last season. 

He's at least contributing offensively, but for now, Power is even doing better than him on defense.

He is a massive talent and plays the defence position almost as good as any other in the league. Problem is he was drafted no.1 overall. Unless your name is Lidstrom no way a defenseman should go number one overall. Let's be real its a points production judgment sport/league and defence obvi do not produce number 1 draft pick points. Kid had too much pressure to soon, and not getting the points right out of the gate along with the constant pressure of why not was a bit much. 

17 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Oh man, enjoy this guys but as Tocchet says, don't get too high or too low.  We're only 11 games into the season.  Things are looking great but the playoffs are a long ways away.  One game at a time.  Just hope we take the Oil down again in regulation right now.

What are you talking about? At this point we are beyond playoffs its time to be a little more aggressive. This type of mindset is how corporations get away with low balling their staff to believe they are worth less than they are.

The team is rolling and has the core in its prime now is the time as any to make a strong push for a deep run. Playoffs isn't the goal anymore you need to think higher with this team the bar is now set much higher for this group.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vancan said:

He is a massive talent and plays the defence position almost as good as any other in the league. Problem is he was drafted no.1 overall. Unless your name is Lidstrom no way a defenseman should go number one overall. Let's be real its a points production judgment sport/league and defence obvi do not produce number 1 draft pick points. Kid had too much pressure to soon, and not getting the points right out of the gate along with the constant pressure of why not was a bit much. 

I have no issue with him going 1st overall.  He was supposed to be generational.  Nobody expected greatness from him in his first 2 or 3 years though. 

However, last year was his coming out party and he excelled.  He doesn't have the young excuse anymore, because he no longer is.  He needs to get in gear and play up to his skill level.

• Cheers 1