[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

7 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

nailed it on the head... with mikheyev and petey... and friggin brock and miller are playing the best defensive hockey i have ever seen them play... Kuzy has much room to improve defensively and well PDG i think hes playing well above his contract value, wont likely complain about his bad mistakes at all this season... playing 18 minutes a night against the teams number 1 line and looking like he belongs

PDG must be loving life right now.  He’s never been afforded this opportunity before, and now he’s playing a key role on a good team.  I’ve been a huge fan of his since he signed here.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Drance can choke a a bag full of busted assholes.

I don't know what Drance has anything to do with this. Drance always said this team could be a good hockey team this season(though he admits now his under estimated the baseline of the team this season), his problem was more beyond the next couple of seasons and if there is a path to eventually make this team a good one to an actual contender (which is the goal we all want) and his Argument if the organization is giving the team enough runway to actually win the cup. His example is the Washington Capitals, with the exception of a copuple of seasons, the Ovi lead caps were one of the top teams in the league and even so needed more-or-less 10 years to finally win the cup.

His criticism on the Hronek deal was more on getting a good D-man you are getting him half way through his prime and with having to pay him big money (if he is to be extended). 

Which makes sense. The Avs got 4 seasons with Toews in a team friendly deal.

5 hours ago, J-23 said:

It’s not all about points, Pettersson is an elite defensive player in the game now. Pettersson is the exact player that wins teams cups. 

Putting up points is great but it’s not always a winning formula. 

But NJ has Hishcier who is probably in the running for the selke again this year so I would think that it’s every bit of a winning formula over there.

11 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

But NJ has Hishcier who is probably in the running for the selke again this year so I would think that it’s every bit of a winning formula over there.

Has Hischer even played this year yet?  He's injured right now.  I'd think that unless Petey gets hurt, he's already ahead of Hischer for selke votes.

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

I kind of agree of the @WHL rocks. I really enjoyed this game. It ranks with opening night against Edmonton for the best game of the season.

Why was this an excellent game?

1. The Canucks beat a very good Dallas team. I think this is the game that shows that the Canucks are for real.

2. Demko was very good. But, as @Blue says, this was not a steal. The Canucks were the better team in the underlying stats and by eye test. The goalie at the other end was very good and Dallas played well and played hard. And the Canucks still won and deserved to win.

3. I was really impressed that, after a close first period where Dallas had slight edge, the Canucks came out and dominated the second (14 - 5) in shots.

4. Then the Canucks just shut down Dallas in the 3rd, playing very good shutdown hockey. Remember when no lead was safe? Was that only last year? This is a totally different team. Everyone is buying in.

Some other random thoughts.

5. Demko obviously deserved to be first star, but I was glad to Suter as second star. Not only did he score the first (and winning) goal, but he played well at both ends of the ice all night. He got a goal against San Jose but before that he could not get on the scoresheet even though he was playing very well defensively.

6. Joshua again rose the challenge after being healthy scratched last game. Tocchet is doing a good job of getting the most out of Joshua.

7. I continue to be impressed by what a great job JR and Allvin have done in restructuring defensive play. Part of that is coaching, part is personnel as the Canucks brought in guys noted for being very good on the PK (Cole, Hronek, Soucy, Suter). The biggest weakness last year was the historically bad PK. This year the PK is a major strength.

8. This really was  a team win, with everyone working hard, but I would mention Mikheyev in particular. He is looking fast and playing an excellent 200 ft. game which makes him a very good fit with Petey.

Your 7th point about coaching and personnel is so bang on. Coaching clearly figured out how to get the most out of previous regime guys like Myers, PDG and Hoglander, but I'm sure Toc had a meeting with Alvin and said guys like Juulsen and Aaman aren't going to cut it so find me better guys. To management's credit they found the right guys. 

Seems like everything is flowing smoothly up and down the organization. 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Which makes sense.

Drance doesn't 'make sense' he shoves his opinion down fans throats with fancy stats to reinforce his argument. 

He, sekeres/price, Patterson and most if not all the eastern media have been adamant that the canucks needed a full teardown rebuild.  He and all the rest of those talking heads are just idiots. 

Don't give Drance a sliver of credit... He really doesn't deserve any.  Let him wallow in his wrong righteousness for a while... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Hrudey was fighting back the tears while he blurted out  it’s two weeks in. 
Pathetic.

Someone Get Hrudey a calendar. It's actually 4 weeks in!

And 13.5% of the season is already over! 

Gonna be a long year on the panel for Hrudey and his beloved flames. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Has Hischer even played this year yet?  He's injured right now.  I'd think that unless Petey gets hurt, he's already ahead of Hischer for selke votes.

I don't think sports reporters care about things like that. They already have Mcbaby pencilled in for the Hart.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think sports reporters care about things like that. They already have Mcbaby pencilled in for the Hart.

You'd think that there would be a mandatory prerequisite for media eastern or not to actually do their jobs and watch all the games so that they can have a well rounded opinion eh?  What a concept?

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rubik said:

What a stellar performance from Demko! Boeser shoots a lot which I like very much. Team was very good from top to bottom. If they keep playing with the effort like they did so far, I can't see them missing the playoffs. I think they've proved if they are healthy they can keep up with the truly great teams (Rangers, Stars)

One of the few issues last night was Boesers aim.......he had several high value chances to put Van in the driver's seat and missed the net each time.  I liked his fire though, he had a chip on his shoulder 

10 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Well over PPG for the last 6 years.  
96-99 points last two seasons.  
Being in Toronto doesn’t take away from Marner being one of the best in the game right now.  

Having said that, he is a little soy boi. 

Marner is a shrinking violet imho. AM and Marner love pad your stats nights, but when leaned on, or are asked to play through resistance, both wilt. I look at JT at 8 million, Marner at 11 and just laugh. And JT signed that contract long after Marner signed his. Soi boi. We agree on something DB. Lol.

Resized_1699152914394_97748917300365.jpeg

Edited by Rekker