[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

1 minute ago, stawns said:

One of the few issues last night was Boesers aim.......he had several high value chances to put Van in the driver's seat and missed the net each time.  I liked his fire though, he had a chip on his shoulder 

Ya, saw those misses. But I agee, Brock had one of his more notable games last night. Games like that where I hope he has started to mature into the player he can be. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Brick did look good.  Mentioned in second period he was making a difference other then having his linemates set him up..  hopefully toc is changing his mentality.  Too many people think he plays great if he scores,  not the case.  Last night he was good,,  goal scores dont like to aim at the goalies crest even though a rebound can be ideal if they did.  Take the missed nets with the bar down shots.  Not easy to put the puck past the goalies equipment now adays

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

His criticism on the Hronek deal was more on getting a good D-man you are getting him half way through his prime and with having to pay him big money (if he is to be extended). 

Which makes sense. The Avs got 4 seasons with Toews in a team friendly deal.

So you agree with Drance that getting a 25 year old Dman is getting him halfway through his prime? Anybody who spouts nonsense like that has lost any credibility they might have had. That includes both Drance and you.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, J-23 said:

It’s not all about points, Pettersson is an elite defensive player in the game now. Pettersson is the exact player that wins teams cups. 

Putting up points is great but it’s not always a winning formula. 

Jack Hughes also has a terrific two way game from what I understand.  

Again, Pettersson is a better overall player than Jack Hughes, but is the difference really 4 million's worth in difference?  (assuming that Petey gets paid $12M starting next season).  For me, the answer is 'no.'  Hence, Jack having more overall value than Petey (despite being the inferior player) when you take term and money into consideration (from next season onwards).

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So you agree with Drance that getting a 25 year old Dman is getting him halfway through his prime? Anybody who spouts nonsense like that has lost any credibility they might have had. That includes both Drance and you.

Well half way his prime was more my interpretation (you can pin that against me if you want) but his point is that you already need to pay the premium for this kind of player (especially for the next extension). 

As for your prime years well you potentially start your NHL career at 18 and 30 is considered the age players start to regress. So I just did he math 

7 hours ago, Vancan said:

Both are crazy talented and playing way beyond very early 20 yrs old. But different contract signing years, and way different teams, cap space, needs, etc. Without sounding to bias I truly believe they both have similar production, but Petey has the "special" advantage. By that I mean those once in a while players that come around who are typically one of the top 5 or so pts wise, but also do that Datsyuk magic which a lot of times goes unnoticed. Had quite a few celebratory Canucks win Old Fashions, not sure if that makes sense lol

Hughes and Petey are pretty much equal on the offensive side, Hughes may even have a very slight advantage (I said "may" people don't get all worked up)  but EP is BY FAR the better all around player...no contest.

8 hours ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Quite pleased with the 2-0  result tonight - they were relatively sound on D most of the time and in general, kept the Stars somewhat to the outside - though they can improve even further. Still a nail-biter going to the third but that is to be expected when two of the hotter teams meet.  

The next 4 games are against offensive teams so RT + his staff will need to continuing addressing the defensive details - getting a decent start (or not to fall behind early) and to Stay Out of the box. All those teams will be playing desperate hockey since they have not gotten the start they wanted - and will use the Canucks as a starting point - so will need to prepare accordingly.

At least for tonight we can enjoy the W - then back to work to prepare against the hungry Oilers.    Go Canucks

After that hit on Duchesne, I was confident that it is going to be a win, did not post anything about it here since I am a superstitious person. 

7 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Jack Hughes has far more value than Petey.  Hughes will have an 8 million cap hit/AAV for a very long time while Pettersson is going to get around 12 million at minimum.  Both men have equivalent production.  

That is a very good point, I think Petey is the better overall player, but is he an Ian Cole like player better?  I’m kind of glad NJ would probably not do that trade, because I just love the way our team is structured right now.  12x8 for Petey and we can all relax a bit and enjoy the next wave of competitive years for the team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

But NJ has Hishcier who is probably in the running for the selke again this year so I would think that it’s every bit of a winning formula over there.

What does Nico have to do with a Pettersson and Jack Hughes comparison..Pettersson is elite defensively I am taking him on the Canucks any day of the week. No disrespect to Jack Hughes he’s a great player.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Jack Hughes also has a terrific two way game from what I understand.  

Again, Pettersson is a better overall player than Jack Hughes, but is the difference really 4 million's worth in difference?  (assuming that Petey gets paid $12M starting next season).  For me, the answer is 'no.'  Hence, Jack having more overall value than Petey (despite being the inferior player) when you take term and money into consideration (from next season onwards).

Fair enough.

Pettersson’s agent did tell the team to get a long term deal done at the time. No idea why we didn’t get it done at the time…

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Fair enough.

Pettersson’s agent did tell the team to get a long term deal done at the time. No idea why we didn’t get it done at the time…

Because fucking Benning was too busy signing Tucker Poolman….. lol

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Fair enough.

I think they had room to go long on Hughes or Petey but not both.  Hughes got done - 3 more years at a great rate, not including current season.  He’ll also, as a defenceman, likely be prime for one more huge contract.

(I’m not absolving Benning for not having enough money to get both done.)

Not saying Benning/Brod planned this, but Chris Gear alluded that *it was a consideration* or something like that, going long on Petey would have had his contract up at around 30 and, like we just did with Miller, that puts you in an awkward spot. If we go long on Petey at 25, we’re likely getting peak Petey for the whole 8 years. 

Again, not saying that’s better than having them both at 8 for 3-4 more years.. but it’s not a bad spot to just go all in on Pettersson.

Edited by The Duke

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Ribs  We should get rid of the Bruce reaction, the Tank reaction, and the Elephant reaction.  In their places, we should add a Miller reaction, a Demko reaction and a Tocchet reaction.

We aren't tanking any longer, Bruce is no longer with us, and the Elephant has run its course...

working inner circle GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Bane said:

Just remember the bottom tier media in Vancouver and Canada were saying Canucks are hopeless long term and need a full rebuild just a few months ago. 

Now Friedman goes on TV saying Canucks are Canada’s best hope. 

That's why he's called "Fried Man"! 😆

9 hours ago, RookieFan said:

What are you talking about? At this point we are beyond playoffs its time to be a little more aggressive. This type of mindset is how corporations get away with low balling their staff to believe they are worth less than they are.

The team is rolling and has the core in its prime now is the time as any to make a strong push for a deep run. Playoffs isn't the goal anymore you need to think higher with this team the bar is now set much higher for this group.

What are you talking about? Beyond playoffs lol ??😆 😂

This team hasn't made the playoffs since 2015... if you excuse the play in tournament style covid bubble season. Any other season we'd have been out.

They haven't won a playoff series since 2011.... going on 13 years.

They've played a total of 11 games so far this yr. A little early to be planning the parade isn't it?

Let's just make the show and enjoy the teams early success before we go label them cup contenders. Even the 2011 team had to make the show and get bounced out a few times by Chicago before they made it up that hill.

Edited by Bobby Lou
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Not only that but I just found out that this was Dallas' 3rd game in 4 nights.    

Canucks passed the test tonight but I'm interested to see how we fare against a team with both teams equally well rested.

In the past, how many of those early teen Canuck teams did just that too. They were good teams that usually won 2 of the three games. I think though, the NHL scheduler could do a much better job. What's with a one game road trip to SJ?

• Cheers 1