[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

9 hours ago, Vancan said:

Well players leaving Canadian markets cause of less pressure, less taxes, less travel, snow, etc, etc says otherwise. Promice I am very pro Canadian hockey and still believe we produce the best overall players, but we seriously can't be that ignorant to think the rest of the hockey world has almost caught up. Countries have been recruiting Canadian coaches and trainers, power skaters, etc for decades now. More money to invest, more population equals more people playing equals more chances for great players. We sure had a hell of a run though!! 

I think the United States is going to overtake Canada  for hockey supremacy honestly. They have the largest population, and the most teams in the league where they can inspire kids to take up hockey. I mean, even Arizona has developed one of the greatest goal scorers in the NHL in Austin Matthews, and he's from the desert state, even if the hockey team there has sucked for a long time. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Man, Pius Suter had another goal last night. Love this player. He's been so good all season, great on the D-side,  hard forecheck. Always getting his stick in to make really good plays but wasn't scoring goals. 

He got the monkey off his back vs SJS and got another one last night. Good to see him start scoring. We need goals from the bottom six to be a good team. 

I agree, that's another one of Allvin's underrated signings. 

I think we are a good team, but I want to see where this team is at, by the 20-25 game mark. if they're playing like this, at that stage of the season, then you know we got a real good hockey team on our hands. We're a good team, but how does this team transition to being a good team to a great team

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Great game. Loved it and thought Demko was amazing. Even better the Oilers lost

Gotta wonder if Edmonton's going to make the playoffs this year. They're so far behind right now. The game tomorrow is going to be huge, if we can take another 2 points from them, that's gotta bury them from even catching us with the way they're playing no? Also have to wonder if the head coach is going to be fired this early in the season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree, that's another one of Allvin's underrated signings. 

I think we are a good team, but I want to see where this team is at, by the 20-25 game mark. if they're playing like this, at that stage of the season, then you know we got a real good hockey team on our hands. We're a good team, but how does this team transition to being a good team to a great team

I would argue that this team needs to take one more step in consistency. They can clearly play with the best, but they can't take any nights off. Look at Vegas, win a Stanley cup and come back to start the season 11-0-1. That's what GREAT teams do. Nothing is given away, and they play for keeps. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Gotta wonder if Edmonton's going to make the playoffs this year. They're so far behind right now. The game tomorrow is going to be huge, if we can take another 2 points from them, that's gotta bury them from even catching us with the way they're playing no? Also have to wonder if the head coach is going to be fired this early in the season. 

win tomorrow night and we are 14 points clear of the Coilers. Thats a mountain to make up against any team. Especially if we keep playing like this. I would say if we can post a win tomorrow night its good night Oilers without some kind of other worldly run to the end of the season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

From what I understand, after Drance had been on the show (and left) Dhali ripped into the fact that Thomas the train is now doing an about face and had ripped into the team/this core pretty hard.

I love it (and support Rick). 

So maybe we need a thread on this, but for now. Drance is so arrogant and smug and that's "the reality" (will come into play) and what I can't stand about him. Talks like everything out of his mouth is fact and the way it is...so to ff and have him suddenly be the big believer of the team shows he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

He scowled and was oozed condemnation just a few short months ago. He actually seems to enjoy the opportunity to be smug and...for lack of a better word...a dick.

Now, it's not to say the team wasn't deserving of criticism...but the core is the same core. All teams have this "body language" when they're slumping that seemingly irks Thomas. Speaking of body language, I'm posting shots of HIS body language as he describes the team he "reports" on.

So yeah, maybe temper how you present those negative feelings a bit if you may have to back the truck up and pick up the garbage you left out there. Don't appear to get so much satisfaction out of the struggle because .... you're just a real housewife type.

Love Dhali...never did like Drance. And I don't waver like he does.

So now Drance wants to pretend like he knew all along these guys are for real. He's signed up to be head cheerleader (for now).

I don't like wishy washy after such strong, bold statements. Stay on your stance. This group IS good enough and you just didn't know enough to see that.

Some of us did.

I'm going to update with pictures to really emphasize what a drip this guy is. I'm sorry, I have NO use for Thomas Diva Drance and his negativity. Never have. 

I think my opinions are well known by this point, but I can't stand hockey media ever since these hobbyists took over the scene with their misguided attitude that being a spreadsheet nerd who's never even played the sport at a youth level or worked a beat to learn their trade somehow allows them to know better than lifelong hockey people who are paid millions to do the job. 

thomas drance is a failed pr guy and a blogger, nothing more. he has no more credibility than you or me or Alf or hockeygod77.

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I liked the game last night. Demko got the shutout but it was a team shutout.  We definitely played with them. Oettinger played well to keep them in it and Demko played well to keep us in it. I dont think I would characterize it as stealing a game from Demko but the one glove save may have been the difference as it looked like the team that scored first was going to win it. Hronek with the sweet pass to Petey. Cole with the big hit and the bottom six Joshua included had a good game.

They look good. Better than most thought. Loved seeing the national broadcast call the Canucks the best team in Canada right now. Hrudey looked very uncomfortable there.

Win at home Monday night and go on the road with some swagger. Go Canucks Go

• Vintage 2

With this key win we'll get way more attention from the NHL and other teams.

It will be interesting to see how we evolve as a team from here and as Tocc says, keeping level headed and handling things when they don't go our way will be the real test for the boys.

In the meantime, beating the Oilers will be the icing on this streak! 

What DOES give me confidence (there's no place for cockiness in my mind) is that the team now KNOWS that they can sustain success by working hard and doing what they need to. It's not a one off, fluke, or just a good/lucky night where one guy does it for them.

The team will hit bumps...even the Bruins, with their ongoing success last year, did. It's important to recognize that and not just defer back to screams of "same old team" stuff. With the structure in place, they can rebound and they've earned our support. Stand behind them if/when they do lose a step.

It's nice knowing this group has the capability to "be there". That it's not just riding on luck and other teams failing, but on their merits and work ethic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade? 

sorry had too 🤣

I was happy with the trade even if we were supposed to be a seller.  I did a research on that trade and was pretty happy.  It does show that even if teams are out of the playoffs, they can always be a buyer if they have extra first or extra 2nd round picks.  It worked out and some GM will use that strategy to speed up their rebuild.  You can be a seller or buyer at the same time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

What DOES give me confidence (there's no place for cockiness in my mind) is that the team now KNOWS that they can sustain success by working hard and doing what they need to. It's not a one off, fluke, or just a good/lucky night where one guy does it for them.

The team will hit bumps...even the Bruins, with their ongoing success last year, did. It's important to recognize that and not just defer back to "same old team" stuff. With the structure in place, they can rebound.

It's nice knowing this group has the capability to "be there". That it's not just riding on luck and other teams failing, but on their merits and work ethic.

New management has created depth too. There’s some good young guys pushing from the farm. 

Just now, tas said:

the guys got a face even his mother would punch. 

And a ShamWow head that the Canucks would hire! 🙃

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

I would argue that this team needs to take one more step in consistency. They can clearly play with the best, but they can't take any nights off. Look at Vegas, win a Stanley cup and come back to start the season 11-0-1. That's what GREAT teams do. Nothing is given away, and they play for keeps. 

I still think Vegas is an outlier. The benefit of a far too generous expansion draft. And GM's that panicked too much over it. We've seen with Seattle how an expansion draft can make a competitive team, but not one that is dominant. What Vegas is doing, is not falling into the trap of being too top heavy. I think long term Vegas is set up to take a fall. But interestingly I think Rick is copying the hard work that Vegas does, and imprinting in on the Canucks players and they are buying in.

One other point. As crappy he was with player management. Thank God Benning drafted Snatcher Demko. When you see teams like Edmonton and Toronto and their struggles to find good goaltending. It is such a relief to have top notch goaltending. But what's great for Demko, is he's not having to put in the kind of workload he has in the past. The players in front of him are trying to keep the workload more manageable. That will be better for his physical and mental well being.

One other unsung kudos is to the teams Pro Scouting. I'm not sure if DeSmith was a Clark recommendation. But what a find! Our rejigged defence with Soucy, Cole, and even Friedman, looks like steals by the Canucks. Gambles on guys like Bains, signing guys like Suter, Bluger. I'd rather have just a solid playoff position than being Vegas hopefully burning themselves out before the Playoffs, and turn into this years Boston Bruins. Oh, and I hope this years Boston Bruins turn out like last years Boston Bruins.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Yep, it was the best thing that could've happened (in the worst way in how they did it).

The team needed a boost...someone who believed in them and was their cheerleader. Then, beyond that, they needed more.

"Structure"

And Rick has shown in spades that he's the perfect fit.

But it's the same core and those who trashed them and sneered at JT being here, etc. act like they knew all along that this team could be better. They didn't think so.

I remember Drance in the beginning of the year saying a team like Canucks shouldn’t be trading for Lafferty for our prime asset of a 5th round pick.

He is wannabe and thinks he is a hockey guru. Probably thinks he is Kenny holland genius level somewhere 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1