[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

36 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the United States is going to overtake Canada  for hockey supremacy honestly. They have the largest population, and the most teams in the league where they can inspire kids to take up hockey. I mean, even Arizona has developed one of the greatest goal scorers in the NHL in Austin Matthews, and he's from the desert state, even if the hockey team there has sucked for a long time. 

Possibly for the elite level players, as the USDP takes the cream of the crop, develops that small number of players and says fu to the rest.

20 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

@-dlc- Can’t believe you put that much energy into Drance. 

It was therapeutic. I let it all out...

(Just as I have taken eggings with JT, some people I know have given me flack in the past about my feelings on Drance...they feel he's so knowledgeable, blah blah). I've always seen him as a Leafs fan in sheep's clothing.

And he and Rick having their tussle gave me the platform. Love Rick and he was right.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Gotta wonder if Edmonton's going to make the playoffs this year. They're so far behind right now. The game tomorrow is going to be huge, if we can take another 2 points from them, that's gotta bury them from even catching us with the way they're playing no? Also have to wonder if the head coach is going to be fired this early in the season. 

If I was Edmonton, i'd be more worried about McBaby asking for a trade outta Dodge!  He must be so depressed!

• Tank 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

(Just as I have taken eggings with JT, some people I know have given me flack in the past about my feelings on Drance...they feel he's so knowledgeable, blah blah). I've always seen him as a Leafs fan in sheep's clothing.

And he and Rick having their tussle gave me the platform. Love Rick and he was right.

I'm actually impressed Deb. When JT was benched for part of the game. Even a hardcore supporter like you understood, it was needed to calm him, and get him back to being focused on the game. Rick has done a great job so far, managing these players. What I'm impressed with, is JT is hungry. And he was hungry right out of the gate. There's no slow start for him this year. As much as I like Canadian hockey players, I think management made the right call in keeping JT. I don't know if his salary long term is going to cause problems when and if age catches up to him. But I think even a 40-50 point JT Miller will still be valuable piece. Besides I like JT way more than I ever liked Kesler.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm actually impressed Deb. When JT was benched for part of the game. Even a hardcore supporter like you understood, it was needed to calm him, and get him back to being focused on the game. Rick has done a great job so far, managing these players. What I'm impressed with, is JT is hungry. And he was hungry right out of the gate. There's no slow start for him this year. As much as I like Canadian hockey players, I think management made the right call in keeping JT. I don't know if his salary long term is going to cause problems when and if age catches up to him. But I think even a 40-50 point JT Miller will still be valuable piece. Besides I like JT way more than I ever liked Kesler.

JT has been very open about the fact that his emotions/passion can both be a blessing and a curse.

That it fuels his drive but also gets the best of him at times. It dances on the line and can go over.

But that's something that real winners/competitors have...they're all in. So you see both the good and bad in that...the highs and lows. When it's not working out, he can wear that on his sleeve and get caught up in it with momentum. Landslides.

I think he and Rick have similarities in personality and the mutual respect they seem to have for one another will take this to another level.

It was the right thing to do - to let him cool off, reset and refocus. Then he could channel that energy appropriately...and go out and score a goal to prove his point. Rather than focus on Trevor and the clown posse that were in his sights.

I try to be a rational homer.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Might be as good as any year to go and compete.

I'm not about trading high prospects like Podz, Lekkerimaki, Willander, and Petey...but like, this team looks for realz. They could use some reinforcements...this team isn't deep enough to make a good run. One injury to a key core player really puts us in a bind. We need more across the board.

Not opposed if this team targets another Hronek-like/JT Miller-like deal. Get another impact player.

Beauvillier OR Garland, Jacob Truscott, 2024 1st round pick 

For 

Rasmuss Anderson 

??? 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Ribs  We should get rid of the Bruce reaction, the Tank reaction, and the Elephant reaction.  In their places, we should add a Miller reaction, a Demko reaction and a Tocchet reaction.

We aren't tanking any longer, Bruce is no longer with us, and the Elephant has run its course...

Or just get rid of them and don't replace. I pretty much use "cheers" and "thanks" and that's it....

• Tank 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It entirely depends on what's coming back. It might actually benefit Edmonton with more depth and a better team and a stronger future.

My fear is Van is headed for the same fate as Edm and TO........top heavy with no room for the much needed depth players, which is one of the reasons I wanted a Miller and Boeser deal.  Not because they aren't good, but because I wanted them to avoid going down the same path.

41 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

11 games in, I’ve not seen many fire drills in the Canucks zone. Usually it’s two passes and out very quickly. Much more speed from the forward group this early season too.

Yeah, our forwards (especially centers) are coming back to support our breakout really well and it's making a WORLD of difference! 

This is what JR was talking about one year ago, how difficult it is for our defense to break out and get the puck up to our forwards when they're having to think and beat the forecheckers on their own. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Wing said:

JR and PA emphasized the lack of structure as the team's main issue when they first got on board. Boy they were right and how they've done the right things and implement this into the team's identity is impressive. It was a bit rough with the unfortunate handling of Bruce's firing and the inevitable bought out of OELs contract, but we're finally turning the corner. 

They also improved the prospect pool while tweaking our roster which is even more impressive. We need this if we want to succeed long term. 

I agree with one of the posts that said we shouldn't overreact after a strong start. MGMT knows what they're doing. 

We need to resign Petey and I hope it happens soon. 

There are a few big differences from the last management crew. But what stands out bigly is Pro Scouting.  Even though IMO we overpaid for Hronek, we got him. And he's good as ordered. Its okay to overpay once in awhile for a key piece you need that suddenly becomes available.  As long as you are great with evaluating veteran talent around the league to find the other pieces to compliment the higher priced tickets.  Benning failed miserably at Pro Scouting. Miller was a good pickup, other than the timing, but how many other acquisitions,, either trade or FA signing, did the player play below their projected output and/or below their salary cap worth?  More that 50% for sure.  That's what killed us.  The only way a "retool" can work over a "rebuild" is if you don't make Pro Scouting mistakes, because you are basically gambling with futures chips that can't be replaced, at least easily. There is  no room for error.  You need people in charge who know what they are doing for a retool to work, which thank the Hockey Gods, we now have.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

My fear is Van is headed for the same fate as Edm and TO........top heavy with no room for the much needed depth players, which is one of the reasons I wanted a Miller and Boeser deal.  Not because they aren't good, but because I wanted them to avoid going down the same path.

you win with top players, though, when they're spread out properly. edmonton and toronto are both built terribly. the canucks have two top 2 way centers, a top 3 all around dman in the league, and a top 3 goalie in the league. 

18 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

He feeds off any attention he can get. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Given the moves done recently, I don't think that's as big of a fear. JR/PA seem to understand the salary cap. Given that JT is a pretty at or above a point a game. $8 Million might be a steal long term. Sadly 3-4 years from now 60 point guys (Which Miller might turn into) will probably be demanding $8 million a season. A lot is going to depend on what happens with Petey. The fact that Miller makes $500,000 less than Bo, and has a lot more value and points. I think is a good indicator the team is looking for value long term.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree, that's another one of Allvin's underrated signings. 

I think we are a good team, but I want to see where this team is at, by the 20-25 game mark. if they're playing like this, at that stage of the season, then you know we got a real good hockey team on our hands. We're a good team, but how does this team transition to being a good team to a great team

They won't be playing like this all season long. They've gotta come down a little bit.

Can't play with that much puck pressure in all three zones all year. They just won't have the energy to keep playing like this.  

We're a playoff team but to keep playing like this is a big ask. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller's deal is so good right now, and it might help keep Petey's deal down. 

We have three very important deals coming up and if we can knock them out of the park, we will be one young RHD, and two young forwards away from becoming a 5 year contender.  

1. Petey signs for less then 11 million. 

2. Hronek signs for less then 7 million. 

3. Ian Cole comes back for 3.5 million. 

4. One of Hunter or Willander becomes a long term 2nd pairing RHD. 

5. Two of Podz, Lekerimakki, Bains, Raty, or Forsell make it as impact middle 6 players. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that Boeser and Myers realize that they've been overpaid and take cheap deals to stay with us. Myers is totally fine as a 6th/7th dman for 2.5 million, not for 6 million. 

9 minutes ago, tas said:

you win with top players, though, when they're spread out properly. edmonton and toronto are both built terribly. the canucks have two top 2 way centers, a top 3 all around dman in the league, and a top 3 goalie in the league. 

I disagree, you win with depth, imo 

3 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Miller's deal is so good right now, and it might help keep Petey's deal down. 

We have three very important deals coming up and if we can knock them out of the park, we will be one young RHD, and two young forwards away from becoming a 5 year contender.  

1. Petey signs for less then 11 million. 

2. Hronek signs for less then 7 million. 

3. Ian Cole comes back for 3.5 million. 

4. One of Hunter or Willander becomes a long term 2nd pairing RHD. 

5. Two of Podz, Lekerimakki, Bains, Raty, or Forsell make it as impact middle 6 players. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that Boeser and Myers realize that they've been overpaid and take cheap deals to stay with us. Myers is totally fine as a 6th/7th dman for 2.5 million, not for 6 million. 

The only realistic one there is cole.  

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

They won't be playing like this all season long. They've gotta come down a little bit.

Can't play with that much puck pressure in all three zones all year. They just won't have the energy to keep playing like this.  

Or is it? My concern would be wear and tear more than anything else. The thing is they are playing smart. It's reducing the workload on Snatcher. The more points early in the season, the more the team can just play above .500 the rest of the year. I'm sure the team is going to hit a losing skid sometime. But as long as the work ethic is there, that's what I care about.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Thing is, they're bound to have let downs (let ups actually).

But the ability to get back to this level is what will come into play. They are learning they have it and how to get there, even if gruelling. It's about how badly you want it in the end. Coast and it slips away pretty quickly.

• Like 1

I actually like the elephant emoji. I was worried Rick was off his rocker with his small bites. But when you think about it, it's very true. You don't start training for a marathon by running the full course. You start small like 1 km. Then gradually go longer and longer. Until your muscles and body can handle the distance. It might take a year or so. But with determination you can do it.