[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

25 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It was therapeutic. I let it all out...

(Just as I have taken eggings with JT, some people I know have given me flack in the past about my feelings on Drance...they feel he's so knowledgeable, blah blah). I've always seen him as a Leafs fan in sheep's clothing.

And he and Rick having their tussle gave me the platform. Love Rick and he was right.

Drance is kinda the modern day Tony Gallagher.  They both have/had high expectations of the team and give praise very sparingly, so when they do give it, you know it's earned.  It's like they demand perfection in a sport where perfection is near impossible but if you view them with that lens it takes the sting out of their criticisms (because of course they're going to find something to criticize because it's hard to be perfect in hockey).

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I value Drance's perspective.  Doesn't mean I always agree with it (like at all).  But I find, if you take their criticisms with a grain of salt, there's an interesting perspective there.  Just be prepared to bring a lot of salt 😆

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

Drance is kinda the modern day Tony Gallagher.  They both have/had high expectations of the team and give praise very sparingly, so when they do give it, you know it's earned.  It's like they demand perfection in a sport where perfection is near impossible but if you view them with that lens it takes the sting out of their criticisms (because of course they're going to find something to criticize because it's hard to be perfect in hockey).

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I value Drance's perspective.  Doesn't mean I always agree with it (like at all).  But I find, if you take their criticisms with a grain of salt, there's an interesting perspective there.  Just be prepared to bring a lot of salt 😆

Despite how much I loathe Cryptkeeper. He was a talented writer. He just should have been writing for the Financial Times, not sports.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Despite how much I loathe Cryptkeeper. He was a talented writer. He just should have been writing for the Financial Times, not sports.

He was a curmudgeon for sure.  I think the only time he was truly happy with the Canucks was that 2011 team.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the United States is going to overtake Canada  for hockey supremacy honestly. They have the largest population, and the most teams in the league where they can inspire kids to take up hockey. I mean, even Arizona has developed one of the greatest goal scorers in the NHL in Austin Matthews, and he's from the desert state, even if the hockey team there has sucked for a long time. 

USA will definitely overtake Canada soon. Hockey is no longer that popular among most kids, I find that most of them are more into Basketball.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It may have been a high price for how Detroit was using him, but not the way we are. 

He was actually used as Detroit’s number one D. He was pretty much their best player.

Yzerboy fell in love with the potential the Islanders’ first would roll over to 2024 and be unprotected. He called Allvin because he wanted that first. 
Hronek was only 25 when traded. Elite, cost controlled, right shot D who are only 25 rarely are traded. They are impossible to replace. 
Hronek is 3rd in the league for scoring by D and he isn’t on PP1. He’s a plus 10. He plays hard minutes. 
Yzerboy made a huge mistake letting Hronek go. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He was actually used as Detroit’s number one D. He was pretty much their best player.

Yzerboy fell in love with the potential the Islanders’ first would roll over to 2024 and be unprotected. He called Allvin because he wanted that first. 
Hronek was only 25 when traded. Elite, cost controlled, right shot D who are only 25 rarely are traded. They are impossible to replace. 
Hronek is 3rd in the league for scoring by D and he isn’t on PP1. He’s a plus 10. He plays hard minutes. 

I thought they kind of threw him under the bus there. Doesn't matter, huge win for us.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He was happy?

💀

With that 2011 team, I think he was.  That team made his heart grow 3 sizes.  And I think how that team lost absolutely gutted him.  (Which says a lot because we're talking about someone whose 2 main nicknames referred to a pile of bones)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

USA will definitely overtake Canada soon. Hockey is no longer that popular among most kids, I find that most of them are more into Basketball.

I think that needs to be adjusted. It's not that kids and parents don't want their kids playing hockey.

It's just they can't afford to pay for their kids to play hockey. Equipment, ice time, private coaching, hockey camps. All cost money. Money that a lot of parents can't afford.

Hell people are struggling to pay their mortgages, and keeping food on the table. My parents divorced when I was little. Even if I wanted to try hockey, there's no way my parents in the 70's and 80's could have afforded it. The only reason I had a brief stint in Football, was that the only gear I paid for was a jock and mouth guard, and cleats. The school paid for the pads, and helmet, and jerseys. That's why kids are into soccer, basketball, etc. It's easier to find a field or court out here. And the equipment is minimal. Even tennis is cheaper.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

My fear is Van is headed for the same fate as Edm and TO........top heavy with no room for the much needed depth players, which is one of the reasons I wanted a Miller and Boeser deal.  Not because they aren't good, but because I wanted them to avoid going down the same path.

I think management understand what need to be done.Kind of have trust in Alvin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think that needs to be adjusted. It's not that kids and parents don't want their kids playing hockey.

It's just they can't afford to pay for their kids to play hockey. Equipment, ice time, private coaching, hockey camps. All cost money. Money that a lot of parents can't afford.

Hell people are struggling to pay their mortgages, and keeping food on the table. My parents divorced when I was little. Even if I wanted to try hockey, there's no way my parents in the 70's and 80's could have afforded it. The only reason I had a brief stint in Football, was that the only gear I paid for was a jock and mouth guard, and cleats. That's why kids are into soccer, basketball, etc. It's easier to find a field or court out here. And the equipment is minimal. Even tennis is cheaper.

For sure equipment cost plays a role in getting the kids into the sport. However I have seen kids get more excited for NBA games and know the names of most the players. I think the NBA just markets the game more effectively than NHL.

11 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

I don't know if I agree on that. It's definitely a possibility and they've been pushing for a decade now but as much as the States are improving, and have been for years, we just keep turning out winning hockey players too. America may have Jack Hughes and Quinn but Austin Matthews is no Bedard either.

The Americans no doubt are turning out high quality players but they are still lacking the fundamental hockey skills that Canada has which still would allow us to beat them head to head. 

You may be right though too ... damn Americans like you said so many people and they just throw so much money into stuff when they decide they want to get good at something. Look at soccer though, they really tried there, rose to about #10 in the world rankings and then faded away. We'll see what happens but they might get bored too if they don't find dominance soon. Their USNDP and such are very quality programs.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Keep in mind Drance disagreed heavily on the Athletics ranking of Quinn Hughes. So he's taking one for the Canucks questioning the rankings from the publication he works for.

The thing about Drance is that he doesn't evaluate teams based on the eye tests (so to speak). He uses a similar methodology Odd Makers use to evaluate a team. This is also the reason why he's not ready to commit what kind of the team the Canucks are because the analytics shows they either played really well or quite poorly (despite winning some of these games). 

The thing also is that Drance has been consistent in his view on how to build a team. He believes in the idea that you need to give your franchise the runway to have a chance to win the Cup which also means he doesn't like the idea of the fast track moves the Canucks have made in recent years since these moves tend to shorten your runway.  

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Given the moves done recently, I don't think that's as big of a fear. JR/PA seem to understand the salary cap. Given that JT is a pretty at or above a point a game. $8 Million might be a steal long term. Sadly 3-4 years from now 60 point guys (Which Miller might turn into) will probably be demanding $8 million a season. A lot is going to depend on what happens with Petey. The fact that Miller makes $500,000 less than Bo, and has a lot more value and points. I think is a good indicator the team is looking for value long term.

Great post Ghosts.  JT is a far better player now than what he was when he arrived in Vancouver.  He's still

putting up the #s, but he has also become a very good C, whose line can shut down the oppositions top line.

He didn't put up a single point last night, but neither did the Stars top line.  This allows Pete's line to go up

against a line with less talent.

Miller's #s will likely start declining at some point, but his overall game (on and off the ice) will continue

to have value.  I'm not worried about his contract.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tv Show Alf GIF by Laff

Dust off those empties Alf, 105 points may be to low. :frantic: 😄 👍

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Maybe someone writes them for him?🤔

Yea AI writes it for him and his prompt goes like this:

“hello ChatGPT you are my Canucks hockey expert analyst, please write me a 2000 word article that is negative about the Vancouver Canucks, there should be nothing positive, only doom and gloom and include my stupid on the radio laugh please at the end of my article.” Yours Truly Drancer 

• Sad 1