[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Arizona you say ... 

Then everything is going as planned 🫣

130113005957-gary-bettman.jpg

It is planned. Phoenix is a big city and has national level appeal in the US.

Having a team in Phoenix is more about the whole of the NHL being more legitimate in the US. Not the local market.

When there's a game on tv the national audience in the US see Phoenix vs LA differently than Calgary vs LA. Phoenix brings national attention even though the locals don't follow or watch their team. 

Ice hockey is just not a hot weather city sport. People don't connect with it or relate to it. But for the NHL it's important to have a team in a major US city like Phienox. It's better for the league as a whole. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Blue said:

No we didn't. We did not overpay for Hronek. A top paring cost controlled Dman is worth at least what we paid. 

Yes we did. If you take into consideration our lack of top picks already traded away. On another team that sacrifice of a 1st and 2nd may not be as costly.Still, no other team jumped at that ask. Again, I'm fine with a slight overpayment, because we needed him for our "all in" plan. Just don't do that too often.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Tusk said:

no, we just got an AI who bans anything negative. AND bombards everyone as the biggestcanuckfanever

Nobody is banning anyone for being negative, we don’t have AI, and Rogers is in no way involved with our fan run forum. 

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah.  He's starting slow for him after having such a good year last season. 

He's at least contributing offensively, but for now, Power is even doing better than him on defense.

That's exactly what I'm seeing too. Was kind of shocked.

It's odd seeing Power being way more defensive. He was all offense no defense in the minors but now he's more stay at home than a rover which is peculiar to me (I think he needs to be this way to play in the NHL though).

Also nice to see ya back, Sabres! 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

but Detoilet stuck him with Maatta for 1/2 the time and made him carry the hardest match ups. And expected him to be physical too. 

We're letting him shine in the top pair here. 

Yzergod figured he was expendable. 

It made good sense for them. They already have Seider which limits his upside and effectiveness as compared to playing him in Van with Hughes. Detroit has no one near Hughes ability on the second pairing. Detroit also has Edvinsson coming in and will have him and Seider eating all the minutes and they also won't have to deal with Hronek's contract and pay a #3 7 million+.

The trade actually is looking good for both sides as Detroit opted to sign a couple stop gap guys and that seems to be working out pretty well for them. I think Yzermessiah is planning on this team's peak coming in 2-3 years so he would also get ASP possibly entering on an ELC to replace Hronek's offence. They've got Willander and Buium as LD prospects as well and Gibson on RD.

Regardless of what Detroit is doing it's a great trade for us and is working out better than anyone expected. It really goes to show how important it was to get a player who can be on the same level as Hughes as compared to him carrying a guy like Schenn or Juulsen.

I was for playing them together but huge credit to @stawns who was adamant from day one that there was no reason that two non huge offensive guys couldn't work great together. I'am not sure even he expected them to be this good though.  Terrific stuff!

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think Hronek was a ppg player, or close to it, before he was traded. 
He was their best player. 

Keep in mind, the Islander’s 1st at the time wasn’t lottery protected and they were floundering.  

Would be interesting to get into Yzerman’s head for the deal.  It sure looks like he’s trying to win - so giving up a top D man is a head scratcher.  

Maybe he thought he was selling high on Hronek - or maybe the 1st was too tempting.  

• ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, Karma-Kazi44 said:

That’s a stretch. Dallas played well. We were the better team and Demko played lights out. But give credit where it’s due. Dallas was far from mediocre. 

They were far from mediocre but Vancouver made them look mediocre. Demko had to make a lot less difficult saves than Oettinger. Both teams played well but Vancouver's play was far superior. 

Realistically that game could have easily been 6-2. 

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Having a team in Phoenix is more about the whole of the NHL being more legitimate in the US. Not the local market.

When there's a game on tv the national audience in the US see Phoenix vs LA differently than Calgary vs LA. Phoenix brings national attention even though the locals don't follow or watch their team. 

Ice hockey is just not a hot weather city sport. People don't connect with it or relate to it. But for the NHL it's important to have a team in a major US city like Phienox. It's better for the league as a whole. 

This was more of a joke ... but ok

Meanwhile, getting back to the topic "PGT - Dallas @ Vancouver", my favourite moment from this great game was at the very end of period 2 with Dallas swarming Demko's crease chasing a loose puck, and Demko finally covered it but a Dallas player kept whacking at Demko's pads several times with his stick .....  and guess who barrelled in and grabbed that player and removed him physically from the play - none other than Brock Boeser !   I was soooo impressed with Brock.  If you get the chance, take a look at that sequence of plays, around 20 seconds left in period 2.

Brock the Bruiser !

Cheers. image.png.b10c48e921f157bebe625c711c132331.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

attachment.php?id=101233&key=add5cc79462

• Haha 2

I was caught
In the middle of a Dman trap

(thunder)
I looked around
And I knew the picks weren't coming back (thunder)
My mind raced
And I thought, what did Detroit just do?

(thunder)
And I knew
There was new help, new help on our blue (thunder)

Sound of the drums
Beating in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart

You've been

(You've been)

Hronekstruck

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Oh.. I didn't understand..

What was the joke. Still don't get it.. 

if Phoenix left and went somewhere else. The locals as you say wouldn’t be to disappointed. As for the rest of the US. They would still have 24 teams to watch nationally ,25 teams if Phoenix relocated to another US city. Sorry not sorry. Quebec!!!!!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, Singing Chef said:

Meanwhile, getting back to the topic "PGT - Dallas @ Vancouver", my favourite moment from this great game was at the very end of period 2 with Dallas swarming Demko's crease chasing a loose puck, and Demko finally covered it but a Dallas player kept whacking at Demko's pads several times with his stick .....  and guess who barrelled in and grabbed that player and removed him physically from the play - none other than Brock Boeser !   I was soooo impressed with Brock.  If you get the chance, take a look at that sequence of plays, around 20 seconds left in period 2.

Brock the Bruiser !

Cheers. image.png.b10c48e921f157bebe625c711c132331.png

That resonated with me too.  Brock right in the Dallas player's face, toe to toe. I thought for a moment they were going to drop the gloves 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

That resonated with me too.  Brock right in the Dallas player's face, toe to toe. I thought for a moment they were going to drop the gloves 

Me too.. I thought “will this be Brock’s first fight?”

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Apparently we are 8 - 3 - 1.

Per Sportsnet we lost a phantom game to Calgary

Sportsnet has us listed below Dallas in their conference standings. They must be hurting so bad to see us thriving and Leafs, Oilers, Flames losing. 

• Haha 2