[PGT] Dallas @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah it's been tough. That's a pretty big tv market for a shit team so financially it's probably no worse than if Quebec, Houston, or Atlanta had a team. I don't know if any other real ownership groups out there have been ready to step in or they probably would have went that route. Now that their recent rink endeavor got voted down it remains to be seen what will happen there. Maybe they finally move.

Just because the TV market is big, doesn't translate into ratings. Maybe the league should try better marketing to appeal to fans in general. Instead of chasing after potential. ESPN signed a deal with the NHL but it almost seems EPSN's heart isnt into it. They seemed to care more when ESPN2 was carrying NHL games.

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

That's exactly what I'm seeing too. Was kind of shocked.

It's odd seeing Power being way more defensive. He was all offense no defense in the minors but now he's more stay at home than a rover which is peculiar to me (I think he needs to be this way to play in the NHL though).

Also nice to see ya back, Sabres! 

It seems to me that's how Power is being coached right now.  Once he has spent a season learning proper defence, the coaches will then work with him on how to properly combine both aspects into his game. 

Unfortunately, none of the Sabres' old coaches did that with Tyler Myers after his stellar offensive rookie season, and by the time Winnipeg got their hands on him, it was too late.  Myers was who he was.  Then JB picked Myers up and learned the same lesson.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Is that good strategy?  I mean, it's still Mcdavid after all.  Give him even more incentive... Not sure if it's a good idea.  However, in coach Tocc I trust.

Tocchet talked about "time for Demko to get on a roll ".  My guess is he starts 'Thatcher the Catcher' tomorrow

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya I notice that quite regularly. 

Kids are more into NBA than NHL now days.  

Actually I've been noticing it for several years but even more so lately. 

My sons live in Edmonton and they're more into hockey but the kids here in the lower mainland are more into NBA.

I'm mentoring a 22 year old young man, him and his friends don't watch hockey at all. Only NBA.

My nephews follow UFC NBA and NFL. I watched last night's game with them but they don't watch it much.

They played hockey when they were young. Got into MMA and wrestling pretty young.  National level wrestlers. One came in 2nd at nationals as a 17 year old.  

But not really into the NHL even though they played ice hockey when younger. 

My two nephews who live in the lower mainland did the whole hockey academy (Delta) and Junior A (Merritt Centennials captain). He now wears the ‘C’ for SFU. They are playing against a ton of NCAA div 1 teams this year. My sister says the cost was about 20-25 k a year per kid when they were enrolled a Delta Acadamy. That’s like 2 mortgage payments where I live. It is not a poor man’s sport . 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm a believer. This team is night and day from previous seasons. They're now a fast, physical team that will exhaust opponents, chasing the puck all night, and they're physical. Cole laying into Duchene with a crushing hit was a thing of beauty, and then handling Marchment. Finally, some swagger is back. "Don't fuck with the Canucks" should be the new mantra. I love that they aren't letting up at all this year. Even pounding San Jose 10-1 they weren't letting up. This team is hungry 60 minutes a game. I can imagine McDavid is not looking forward to taking his crap of a team into Vancouver against one nasty piece of business team like the Canucks. 

Also providing toughness are Miller, Lafferty, Soucy, Friedman and Joshua, and I really liked Hoglander's and Garland's grit. Maybe Beauvillier is the player they should trade. 

I guess tocc telling them play like it's your last game..or play ever game like a playoff game no matter what team it is. Put your best foot forward if you tried and loss its cause of the zebras.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just because the TV market is big, doesn't translate into ratings. Maybe the league should try better marketing to appeal to fans in general. Instead of chasing after potential. ESPN signed a deal with the NHL but it almost seems EPSN's heart isnt into it. They seemed to care more when ESPN2 was carrying NHL games.

They don't seem to have a very imaginative marketing scheme and seem to just half copy other NA sports ideas. It'll always pale compared to Baseball, Football, and Basketball no matter what they do though.

The post I quoted said their ratings were 11th best.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Tusk said:

Its all thanks to you, BIGGESTCANUCKSFANEVER we are now all in a trance and will be happy because you tell us to.

I mean how obvious is AI or a Bot. Perhaps an alien who doesn't see bullshit just re-tweets shit all day, kinda like the kids nowadays.

Not sure why you're so bothered by them. I enjoy most of them.

Edit - can ignore users btw

Edited by TNucks1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

They don't seem to have a very imaginative marketing scheme and seem to just half copy other NA sports ideas. It'll always pale compared to Baseball, Football, and Basketball no matter what they do though.

The post I quoted said their ratings were 11th best.

The point is, Bettman's trying to capitalize on US TV markets. Phoenix is the 11th largest market. 

That really shouldn't be that difficult to grasp. 

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

How did you even notice that? 

Did it beat the whistle? Lol

The goal beat the whistle but that doesn't mean the goal is valid according to NHL rules 31.2 and 78.5:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/conor-garland-scored-a-goal-last-night-that-everyone-missed-7788004

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

The goal beat the whistle but that doesn't mean the goal is valid according to NHL rules 31.2 and 78.5:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/conor-garland-scored-a-goal-last-night-that-everyone-missed-7788004

Yes I know... If the intent to whistle the play dead is there, goal doesn't matter... 

Thanks for finding the official rule though. 

15 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I can't stand people who are wishy washy but make bold statements. McLeans. They criticize, act like they know, blurt stuff out, then....change their minds. Want to strike when the iron's hot and jump on the bus after they let the air out of the tires. Turncoats. 

If you're so strong in your convictions and statements....stand by them. Don't waver. I have respect for people who do...often going against the grain. 

McLean did that with Burrows....threw him under the bus then wanted to sing his praises when the rest of the world was. Get lost. You're not part of the club. It's YOU we really don't need.

Drance is the same and I'm glad Dhali did what he did. He deserved it, whether it be after he'd left the (virtual) room or not. Drance readily dishes out criticism but clearly can't take it. Is it his job to critical at times? Sure. But he's a Leaf's fan in disguise and no one will convince me otherwise. And when we're down, he actually seems to get pleasure out of that angle of reporting. Smug.

I'm not saying people didn't have good reason to be critical of the team...but there WERE bright spots and that was ignored. We weren't a complete wash out and our core was solid, even if struggling and needing direction. It's like the JT stuff...Drance jumped all over the chance to slam JT and make him into a monster. Now? Wants to be the manager of his fan club. Get lost.

"Can you win with a group that carries themselves like this?" - Drance 6 months ago. Smiling and seemingly loving the fact that he could pile on.

Part of the "team like that" club that had no faith or confidence in our core and now all of a sudden acting like they knew. Questioning their resilience and now they're being slapped in the face with it. 

Drance doesn't act surprised at what's happening (as he should considering his former stance). He acts like he's orchestrated this.

Canucks will have some bumps in the road during the season. The usual suspects will be out in full force to show their true colours.  

32 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Canucks will have some bumps in the road during the season. The usual suspects will be out in full force to show their true colours.  

The usual scapegoats will be (in order) 

Myers - bonehead plays

Miller - poor decision with puck and not backchecking hard enough

Boeser - too soft, doesn't win puck battles

From what I see though, I do believe this team has turned the corner. 

Boeser is in the best shape of his life. Looks faster, better conditioned. 

Miller is committed to 2 way play

Myers has simplified his game and playing with Soucy has been amazing 

• Cheers 1