Elliotte Friedman? Omfg!

iceman1964

I like Friedman and, for me, he's one of the more credible sources/reporters.

But the word "overachieving" sort of means playing beyond what the expectations are. Hints at not being sustainable.

I disagree.

Playing to their potential is more like it. We have some great players that just don't get the respect they deserve. 

Reminds me of the past .... guys like Burr who proved themselves despite all the doubts and naysaying. But I like it when they don't know about us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tas said:

whatever happened behind the scenes that fractured the room has remained a fascinating mystery to me. I always wondered if he gave petey shit for the contract holdout when he wanted the team focused on picking up where they left off and improving. just seeing how terrible pettersson was to start that year, no investment at all, I couldn't help but wonder. 

Agreed, I wonder as well.  Whatever it was it imploded in a hurry.  

27 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

But the word "overachieving" sort of means playing beyond what the expectations are. Hints at not being sustainable.

I disagree.

Playing to their potential is more like it. We have some great players that just don't get the respect they deserve. 

Reminds me of the past .... guys like Burr who proved themselves despite all the doubts and naysaying. But I like it when they don't know about us.

overachieving expectations != overachieving potential though, right? expectations are understandably low, and that's a good thing. 

we all know the true potential of this group, it's all for the best if others don't. 

• Cheers 1

It can be both.  We did make some good roster moves in the offseason AND we are playing a bit better than expected.  No problems either way.  We should just enjoy the ride and ignore what the parasites say.  Go Canucks Go!

39 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty much, I don't think most folks who aren't optimistic Canucks fans had the Canucks having this kid of start. It's not as if we've had a great track record the last decade or so, I think most hockey pundits had us improving and maybe being a wildcard or third seed spot. Or somewhere in no man's land. Skepticism isnt unwarranted, neither is being pragmatic. 

Dunno why folks gotta be upset at hockey media for not waving pompoms and proclaiming this team as having turned things around after eleven games. Nothing wrong with overachieving, just enjoy it while it lasts. We're a Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, or Miller injury away from things suddenly looking very different. And yes, that is true for most teams, but these things happen and it's super early. 

Yeah, JR said it publicly.  Everything has to go right to make the playoffs.  But so far they have.  As time goes by, I'm more sold on JR's vision.  He isn't BSing us or has wishful thinking. The management know what a winning franchise is like. 

Depth is needed for a deep cup run. They have parts of it, and farm team is doing well.  But until they can shee more cap, not sure how they can do it this season.    

At least we know the coaching staff is preaching level headedness and want them to earn each day.  Lunch bucket attitude at each practice and game.  Coaching group is solid and experienced. 

Biggest thing is changing the culture.  It seems like it has from the Prez down to the AHL team.  Everything is aligned.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yeah, JR said it publicly.  Everything has to go right to make the playoffs.  But so far they have.  As time goes by, I'm more sold on JR's vision.  He isn't BSing us or has wishful thinking. The management know what a winning franchise is like. 

Depth is needed for a deep cup run. They have parts of it, and farm team is doing well.  But until they can shee more cap, not sure how they can do it this season.    

At least we know the coaching staff is preaching level headedness and want them to earn each day.  Lunch bucket attitude at each practice and game.  Coaching group is solid and experienced. 

Biggest thing is changing the culture.  It seems like it has from the Prez down to the AHL team.  Everything is aligned.  

I expect them to be in the mix for a spot, could see them maybe getting a second or third seed spot if things continue to go really well. 

It's early, injuries will happen and more than likely we'll have losing stretches as well. But yeah, so far so good. 

Depth can be added as cap comes off, it's still an ongoing process. 

There's room for positivity, there have been encouraging signs, but it's early and we still have a lot to prove. Awards aren't handed out after eleven games and we're not a playoff team until we've locked down a spot. 

Folks should just enjoy the ride, at least it's been more enjoyable thus. Long way to go though. Winnipeg looked like a surefire playoff team or contender last season in January or February, they barely squeaked in by season's end. It's a marathon, not a sprint. 

This is difficult. Did we overachieve this year or greatly underachieve last year. PA to his credit also filled a bunch of holes in the lineup, particularly on the defensive side. I mean the defensive side as in players that play defensively. Adding Suter, Lafferty, and Blueger when healthy has/will have been a major boon for team defense. Scoring was never the issue. So the additions of Soucy, Cole and Hronek on the defensive side, DeSmith in net, and the resurgence of Demko who I think only struggled last year cause of his injury, plus the aforementioned forwards has greatly benefitted the team. So are we overachieving? Maybe, I can see the argument. I feel like this is just a team that has bought into the system and decided to play harder on both sides of the puck than before.

My real concern is how we are gonna keep this going beyond this season. But I feel this seasons Canucks are pretty legit. The only overachievers are some of the secondary pieces we probably don't want in the lineup long term. Like Friedman. Ironically enough. I like him, but it's clear management wants to upgrade that spot. With at least two players from the sounds of it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

This is difficult. Did we overachieve this year or greatly underachieve last year. PA to his credit also filled a bunch of holes in the lineup, particularly on the defensive side. I mean the defensive side as in players that play defensively. Adding Suter, Lafferty, and Blueger when healthy has/will have been a major boon for team defense. Scoring was never the issue. So the additions of Soucy, Cole and Hronek on the defensive side, DeSmith in net, and the resurgence of Demko who I think only struggled last year cause of his injury, plus the aforementioned forwards has greatly benefitted the team. So are we overachieving? Maybe, I can see the argument. I feel like this is just a team that has bought into the system and decided to play harder on both sides of the puck than before.

My real concern is how we are gonna keep this going beyond this season. But I feel this seasons Canucks are pretty legit. The only overachievers are some of the secondary pieces we probably don't want in the lineup long term. Like Friedman. Ironically enough. I like him, but it's clear management wants to upgrade that spot. With at least two players from the sounds of it.

Our D is so much improved. Four new guys in. And Hronek is a number one D if we don’t already have Hughes, who (of course) is a phenom. 

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

So maybe our homer asses saw something that others missed?

Because "analysts" don't always watch as carefully as they should. Numbers only tell some of the story.

Being real here means this core was worth sticking with and now they're showing that. I predicted that.

We haven’t won anything yet. 

People are oversensitive about what Friedman said. For what it's worth, I've always perceived Friedman to be a fan of the Canucks. Simply saying that we are overachieving is not necessarily a bad thing. It may be true. What happens if we start going on a losing streak? Every team goes through it and suddenly they'll be scrutiny about how the team is coached/built.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I disagree.

I have been hearing recently in Sportsnet 650 about the Canucks' PDO stats and apparently they are abnormally high (they are #1 in this stat is way ahead of even the elite cup contenders like Vegas, Dalls, and the Avs) and is not sustainable. I am not an expert on advanced status but apparently if the PDO rating reaches an upper threshold (which the Canucks have already did) it normally points to a regression down the line. 

So all signs seem to indicate there will be a regression eventually though it doesn't mean the Canucks will be back again just go back to earth. 

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

People are oversensitive about what Friedman said. For what it's worth, I've always perceived Friedman to be a fan of the Canucks. Simply saying that we are overachieving is not necessarily a bad thing. It may be true. What happens if we start going on a losing streak? Every team goes through it and suddenly they'll be scrutiny about how the team is coached/built.

Exactly heck if the team is Overachieving to the cup I don't think anyone will mind lol. 

Edited by iinatcc

I haven't cared for Friedman that much over the last five or so years. He doesn't want to rock the boat. He saw the success of the Chiclets podcast and started wanting to be more player/team friendly. He was quiet on the Blackhawks sexual assault cover-up(s) and said he didn't say much about it because Rick Westhead knew more. I think that's a cop-out. He'd rather get the scoop on which 14th forward is about to be placed on waivers than do any real journalism. 

All that being said, he also did just say that the Canucks are Canada's best team, so I don't know why the OP is so upset about this lol. 

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

If they play .600 hockey the rest of the year that's still a 102 point season.

Everbody just want to read this over and over and over again? Psshhtt, yip, that's another Pilsner cracked. Good times fellow fans. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Overachieving isn't the correct wording, what Tocchet has them doing is living up to their potential. 

As a team, for the most part, we've been relentless. The team is playing at a much higher energy level, and guys are settling into their specific roles. Even Myers has been looking much better, he's playing a much simpler game, not trying to do to much and trusting other guys can get the offense done. He's slowed down, but he can still be effective clearing the front of the net.

Relentless is what we used to beat Edmonton opening night, we outworked them badly in every part of the game. 

**** THIS *****  Thanks VC, exactly what I was trying to say, and we're not even there yet, getting close but we can play better,  there is room for improvement no doubt but overachieving? No way! I laughed pretty hard at that.. what we are starting to do is play like a team, i.e the forwards helping the D properly that we've been lacking for years and 

good on you for having enough brains to get that VC, and you nailed it, this is what we are capable of for sure. 

As one poster put it and I agree with is a cpl of more big wingers to win more puck battles and keep other teams honest as in we have more snarl in case they want to play a physical game in order to beat us, and not just bigger guys, bigger faster guys who have scoring touch as well. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, iceman1964 said:

**** THIS *****  Thanks VC, exactly what I was trying to say, and we're not even there yet, getting close but we can play better,  there is room for improvement no doubt but overachieving? No way! I laughed pretty hard at that.. what we are starting to do is play like a team, i.e the forwards helping the D properly that we've been lacking for years and 

good on you for having enough brains to get that VC, and you nailed it, this is what we are capable of for sure. 

As one poster put it and I agree with is a cpl of more big wingers to win more puck battles and keep other teams honest as in we have more snarl in case they want to play a physical game in order to beat us, and not just bigger guys, bigger faster guys who have scoring touch as well. 

I also think the Myers is playing like a guy who's been told, don't worry about what your cap hit is, don't try and play to a 6 million dollar level, just be effective.

Don't try and be the offensive guy you were years ago, play a nice safe, sound, effective game in your own end and don't go chasing. He looks like he's settling in and not trying to do offense.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I also think the Myers is playing like a guy who's been told, don't worry about what your cap hit is, don't try and play to a 6 million dollar level, just be effective.

Don't try and be the offensive guy you were years ago, play a nice safe, sound, effective game in your own end and don't go chasing. He looks like he's settling in and not trying to do offense.

Yeah I credit that to TOC and Gonchar, seems like the work put in with them is starting to pay off. Looks like the D have definitely bought in, especially on the PK, their not running around anymore, simply shifting from side to side and pressuring hard and it's working and we don't even have Blueger in the line up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1