(GDT) Canucks Vs Oilers Nov 6 (7PM PST)

PeteyBOI

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

They'll get it together, I'm sure.  A roster with two of the top 5 players in the world won't falter for long.  However, they've got a tough row to hoe

Their goalies are garbage. Hopefully their situation is too difficult to resolve ..

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Nope, I don't think so.  All three players play much bigger than they are and all three can cause a lot of chaos with intense forechecking.  

I like Joshua, but it's not like he uses his size much

its funny cause i always thought he was one of our more physical players... 4 fights 1 this year... and is 32nd in the league for hits per/60

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Viking said:

What goalie are we expecting to start for us? Back to Demko after the SO or give DeSmith another game? 

I hope Tocchet doesn't make the same mistake as other coaches.  We don't get as many back to backs this season from what I understand. So its even more tempting for Rick to overplay Demko.  But the wear and tear is cumulative throughout the season. You have to start now to keep Thatcher fresh and in prime shape for the playoffs. I'd like to see DeSmith spotted in tonight.  Ideally he should be in at least every fourth  game or so.  How many SC teams have ended up going with the backup, who luckily shines, because their starter is worn out or injured late in the season? Or they do use their starter but he's been out with injury for half the season, and come back into form just before the post season? 

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I hope Tocchet doesn't make the same mistake as other coaches.  We don't get as many back to backs this season from what I understand. So its even more tempting for Rick to overplay Demko.  But the wear and tear is cumulative throughout the season. You have to start now to keep Thatcher fresh and in prime shape for the playoffs. I'd like to see DeSmith spotted in tonight.  Ideally he should be in at least every fourth  game or so.  How many SC teams have ended up going with the backup, who luckily shines, because their starter is worn out or injured late in the season? Or they do use their starter but he's been out with injury for half the season, and come back into form just before the post season? 

looks like Demko is starting, first off the ice on game day practice pretty much confirms it.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope, I don't think so.  All three players play much bigger than they are and all three can cause a lot of chaos with intense forechecking.  

I like Joshua, but it's not like he uses his size much

Just 7 hits in the last game.....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

37 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

When Elliot Friedman said the Canucks are playing beyond their potential he couldn't be more wrong.  The Canucks are playing beyond your expectations but their potential is sky's the limit.  

He's probably right. We're playing like the best team in the league right now. While I think we're better than most predicted, I'm not convinced that by the season's end we'll be a top 3 team in the NHL. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I thought they were trying to sign the Michelin man....

nope, with their cap space, they would have to go with used bias-ply tyres

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

He's probably right. We're playing like the best team in the league right now. While I think we're better than most predicted, I'm not convinced that by the season's end we'll be a top 3 team in the NHL. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

I agree. As much as I love this start even I know this isn't sustainable for 82 games. We'll definitely fall back down to top 10 or so in most categories eventually which would still be awesome considering where we came from. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky invented edgework.  McDavid can only dream of being this good...

yup...I've been saying it for 40 years....Gretzsky is a puck hog. All about padding his own stats. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I had predicted earlier this season that our first round pick will be in the 20's.

Here's to hoping l sit correctly. 

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

But, as Joe Strummer said: 'The future is unwritten.'

And as Satchmo says:  "Let's just sit back and enjoy the ride.'

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

FFS, switch Joshua and Hogz already

21 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I had a hunch Tocchet might switch Beauvillier and Joshua  -  gives a bit of heft to an otherwise undersized line for what might be a chippy game

Throws my "crazy 8's" prediction out of the window, though (although with an "8" on his back -81- DJ can be an honorary member)

The current bottom 6:

3A -- Joshua, Suter, Garland

3B -- Hogz, Lafferty, Beau

gives a bit of toughness on each line (Joshua, Lafferty).

And those lines might be developing some chemistry. Lafferty and Beau in particular have been putting some points on the board and now have very good numbers for bottom 6 forwards.