(GDT) Canucks Vs Oilers Nov 6 (7PM PST)

PeteyBOI

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I would agree whole heartedly on the criteria you're looking at. Joshua is surprisingly timid for his size and he can be fast but uses it more when he's trying to deke players out than he does on the forecheck.

It never ceases to amaze me. So many big players get to the NHL level but just can't get meaner. Just not in their DNA. Dakota, if he could find more truculence, could cash in mutli millions for years to come. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Johnny said:

They have a lot of work to do to allow them to get in

if they play .500 hockey from here on out they will have around 80 points. I have a hard time seeing them play that well

but they did just sign Sam Ganger so…

Is he blue line defender?🤣

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Vancouver is in, will be in the same boat.  Top heavy with few resources for quality depth

QH is good for a few more years, Millers is in til his career is over, Boesers next deal will be reasonable, Hronek wont cost an arm AND a leg, but if we ink these guys now the cap increase will offset their raises. McDavid and Draisaitls contracts are up at the time of the cap increase/right after so they will be right at the very top of $ again.

Petey, Hronek, Boeser all due for new deals in an 82.5 mil cap climate. The cap is projected to be 100mil in 3 years… their deals now are going to be team friendly very fast.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

The current bottom 6:

3A -- Joshua, Suter, Garland

3B -- Hogz, Lafferty, Beau

gives a bit of toughness on each line (Joshua, Lafferty).

And those lines might be developing some chemistry. Lafferty and Beau in particular have been putting some points on the board and now have very good numbers for bottom 6 forwards.

to be fair beauvillier is only a bottom 6 on a good team... he has shown he can play with the big boys, he has all the tools, i think its just a mind game that holds him back...

Garland is just too small and not particularly fast and doesnt play well with others...

the best qualities of a effective top sixer IMO in no particular order is... size, speed, skill (offensive)a high hockey IQ(doesnt matter if its offensive or defensive)

other intangibles like toughness, feistiness, defensive skill are a tier lower... (all these things can be taught)

the little things that Jim benning thought that made a winner were just wrong

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

QH is good for a few more years, Millers is in til his career is over, Boesers next deal will be reasonable, Hronek wont cost an arm AND a leg, but if we ink these guys now the cap increase will offset their raises. McDavid and Draisaitls contracts are up at the time of the cap increase/right after so they will be right at the very top of $ again.

Petey, Hronek, Boeser all due for new deals in an 82.5 mil cap climate. The cap is projected to be 100mil in 3 years… their deals now are going to be team friendly very fast.

Haha, I'll believe it when I see it. The cap was supposed to go up $4 mil last year too.

11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Wow. Rick takes everything those press folks throw at him and answers every one in  what I would consider, great detail. Have we ever had a head coach

quite like that? 

No, that's a good coach over there.

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

No it wasnt. It was projected in 2020 to go up 4-8mil but COVID screwed that up.

what an inconvenience that covid thing turned out to be. nhl affected and people died. terrible.

12 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

and Kuzmenko too, I'm sure Kuz is going to want big bucks for his new contract

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

No it wasnt. It was projected in 2020 to go up 4-8mil but COVID screwed that up.

I'm one who is not particularly optimistic about our future cap situation.  Sell me on it!

Why do we get to benefit from potential cap increases but not players (and their agents)?

Seems like we have some expensive raises to come and some big positions to fill.  Doesn't look cheap to me!

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, I'll believe it when I see it. The cap was supposed to go up $4 mil last year too.

I’ll see if I can find the article that had projected a possible increase to $100 mil.

for now this is what I can find

• 2022-23: $82.5 million (firm)
  • 2023-24: $83.5 million (projected)
  • 2024-25: $87.5 - $88 million (projected)
  • 2025-26: approximately $92 million (projected)

43 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

The oilers probably need a coach that doesn’t genuflect every time Mc Dra tie their skates, you are dead on about Yzerman. 

I've mentioned before, but I don't think the issue is the coach, per se, as much as it is the decision that coach made to undermine his own credibility with his players by completely reworking the defensive system of a team that played 5 playoff series over two years. 

woodcraft has travis green'd himself. the oilers no longer believe in themselves, their abilities, their systems or their coach. they have to think instead of just reacting. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

and Kuzmenko too, I'm sure Kuz is going to want big bucks for his new contract

True, but he or Boeser could also be trade bait and Lekkermaki could step in on an ELC and give us a huuuuge goal per dollar value

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Wow. Rick takes everything those press folks throw at him and answers every one in  what I would consider, great detail. Have we ever had a head coach

quite like that? 

Yes, Pat Quinn who if memory serves me correctly, please have CFF validate this, I recall Pat Quinn and the entire coaching staff walk off without shaking hands when the Rangers won the cup in 1994.

Correct me if I am wrong

Edited by Rocket-68

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I'm one who is not particularly optimistic about our future cap situation.  Sell me on it!

Why do we get to benefit from potential cap increases but not players (and their agents)?

Seems like we have some expensive raises to come and some big positions to fill.  Doesn't look cheap to me!

Okay so right now a lot of our contracts are due PRIOR to the increases coming. If we sign them all in a lower cap climate, it has to be suitable to the following years cap. In 3 years an 8mil deal is a huge steal. Because in 2 years after this season its projected to be 92mil. So guys like McDavid whos deal is up, is signing for league max right out of the gates in the new cap climate. Whereas we will have had 1-2 years for inflation to settle and adjust. 

14 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

i think hes referring to bettmans comments that the cap might rise 4 million if everything went right... I suppose the owners convinced bettman wasnt right with that comment

• Thanks 1