(GDT) Canucks Vs Oilers Nov 6 (7PM PST)

PeteyBOI

If and when projected cap goes up , so do tickets. The product remains the same.

Seems like a pyramid of sorts.  

I find it hard to see lower teams having the ability to spend near the cap when they play at 50 to 60% capacity.

The math itself makes no logical or financial sense .

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Okay so right now a lot of our contracts are due PRIOR to the increases coming. If we sign them all in a lower cap climate, it has to be suitable to the following years cap. In 3 years an 8mil deal is a huge steal. Because in 2 years after this season its projected to be 92mil. So guys like McDavid whos deal is up, is signing for league max right out of the gates in the new cap climate. Whereas we will have had 1-2 years for inflation to settle and adjust. 

Hmmm

I guess I’m just not buying it.  Why wouldn’t player agents plan for future cap increases?  I don’t see this as an exclusive benefit to teams over players.

To me it seems like we’ll have to fill a lot of positions via free agency (when you usually overpay) and we have key players due for big time raises.  

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Hmmm

I guess I’m just not buying it.  Why wouldn’t player agents plan for future cap increases?  I don’t see this as an exclusive benefit to teams over players.

To me it seems like we’ll have to fill a lot of positions via free agency (when you usually overpay) and we have key players due for big time raises.  

Because there is absolutely no guarantee the cap will increase to the projected amount. So they sign for what is possible. And what their value is based on contracts around the league that are close in comparison

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Because there is absolutely no guarantee the cap will increase to the projected amount. So they sign for what is possible. And what their value is based on contracts around the league that are close in comparison

I hear you.  Let’s hope that you’re right!

IMO it’s a two way street no matter which way you spin it.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Hmmm

See :

https://theathletic.com/4590229/2023/06/08/nhl-salary-cap-increase/

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I can't see tocchet allowing them to be complacent.

"Who are we to think we are anybody?"

This can be our quote for the season. I don't mind doubters if that's a motivation/reminder for the team to play hard every game and not take anyone lightly. 

Oils can't possibly suck this bad for the whole season. We will have our down stretch at some point, but it would be nice to keep increasing that point gap. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

QH is good for a few more years, Millers is in til his career is over, Boesers next deal will be reasonable, Hronek wont cost an arm AND a leg, but if we ink these guys now the cap increase will offset their raises. McDavid and Draisaitls contracts are up at the time of the cap increase/right after so they will be right at the very top of $ again.

Petey, Hronek, Boeser all due for new deals in an 82.5 mil cap climate. The cap is projected to be 100mil in 3 years… their deals now are going to be team friendly very fast.

They've been projecting major cap increases for a few years now, we see how that goes.  And all cap increases mean is that top players ask for more money, leaving scraps for depth players.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Kane has been running players pretty regular. Back in his home town. I think he runs a Canuck to night. Petey scores on the PP, Oilers lose. If it isn't Kane it will be Nurse. Same result. 

Joshua, Myers, Soucy, Friedman can deal with that assclown. 

• Cheers 1