(GDT) Canucks Vs Oilers Nov 6 (7PM PST)

PeteyBOI

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

100%

people called me crazy, but I suggested Edmonton move McDavid a couple years ago and build around Drysaddle’s 8.5mil cap hit. They could move McDavid for a kings ransom and actually build legit depth and talent up and down the lineup, find a true #1d and probably a legit goalie. For that same cap hit. As great as McDavid is, Edmonton relied on outscoring the problem waaaaay too much and they relied heavily on PP time. Half of McDivers points came on the PP last season, as soon as the PPs disappeared as playoffs went on, they couldnt do a damn thing.

That sounds like a good idea if you're talking about any other franchise.

Given the Oilers draft record:(ten top 10 pics over 10yrs - 4 of which were 1oa and 1 was 3oa) and

they still managed to screw up.

I think they do the same with that 'kings ransom' coming back from a McD trade.😲

56 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Of course the NHL reps are always projecting the cap to increase as it shows confidence in their product. I seem to recall several years ago people/league projecting the cap was supposed to be up to 92 million this year . That never transpired either. With all the reports of low attendance and people not having ample $$ for hockey I would be operating with caution when it comes to those projections.

Even if it does go up it'll be tricky to get everything we need done.

Some pretty good discussion on Harman Dyal’s article for the athletic re: the sustainability of our start.  

Harman does a good job pointing out that if you remove the blowouts, we’re sitting at a fairly regular PDO of about 103 - and would still have a very good record of 5-2-1. 

Nice to see a numbers nerd give a bit of context and critical thought beyond pointing to xgf and pdo while wailing“it’s unsustainable.”  

Of course, hoping we keep it rolling tonight agains the Coil.  You know they’re going to be fired up after how the year started. If they get half decent goaltending, it could be a tough game.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've been projecting major cap increases for a few years now, we see how that goes.  And all cap increases mean is that top players ask for more money, leaving scraps for depth players.  

Well no, since 2020 the cap had no projections and at most it would be 1mil. 2020 Bill Daley announced a 4-8 mil cap increase for the 2020-21 season, 1 month after that COVID brought everything to a halt. It wasnt until last year I think that they said there *could* be a 3-4mil cap increase IF everything was financially recouped from the impact of COVID. They just recently announced the new projections and its not until next year that a noticeable increase will be implemented 

1 minute ago, DixonWard said:

I am a huge Petey fan.  But if he is going to shoot his mouth off during negotiations about how he wants to win, then let's see him take a discount to help the team stay competitive.   Put his money where his mouth is.

Just curious, what would you (or other people - feel free to chime in) consider a discount?

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Given the Oilers draft record:(ten top 10 pics over 10yrs - 4 of which were 1oa and 1 was 3oa) and

they still managed to screw up.

Yea and people shit on Benning who never had top 3 picks, JV was an aquaweenie want and OJ was derailed by multiple back and knee injuries/surgery along with COVID. But hey JB is the only GM ever to make “bad picks”

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Duke said:

Some pretty good discussion on Harman Dyal’s article for the athletic re: the sustainability of our start.  

Harman does a good job pointing out that if you remove the blowouts, we’re sitting at a fairly regular PDO of about 103 - and would still have a very good record of 5-2-1. 

Nice to see a numbers nerd give a bit of context and critical thought beyond pointing to xgf and pdo while wailing“it’s unsustainable.”  

Of course, hoping we keep it rolling tonight agains the Coil.  You know they’re going to be fired up after how the year started. If they get half decent goaltending, it could be a tough game.

Thanks for pointing this out. It seems everyone outside of Vancouver is waiting for us to crash. 

I think we need to jump on the oils quickly and get on the board early. It would doubt in oils' minds and they'd be prone to more defensive breakdown. 

• Cheers 2

The analytics hockey guys are all in a tizzy because the Canucks are playing way "above expected".  Expected to who?  Canucks fans that have been watching the games are all saying "It's about damn time".  We always knew they were special.  Demko is what the hockey world thought he was. Special.  Give Hughes a steady competent pairing has taking him to special statis.  And Petey is benefiting from both Hronek and an elevated Hughes.  Surround great players with great players and see what happens.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Duke said:

Just curious, what would you (or other people - feel free to chime in) consider a discount?

I haven't put much research into it.  Right now I think he would command 12+m on the open market.  If he would sign for 10 or less, it would go a long way towards winning.  It would save 2+ on his deal but also set a team benchmark.  When this happens it seems to keep others salaries down too and has a multiplier effect on the cap savings. But what do I know?

• Cheers 4

39 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Joshua, Myers, Soucy, Friedman can deal with that assclown. 

The best thing they can do is skate away from him and put up goals.  Engaging with him with just empower him as none of those guys are in Kanes weight class.

Get under his skin, let him be undisciplined and skate away

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1