[Article] Calgary Flames Reportedly Shopping Defensemen

RWJC

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

I'd probably hold off on Zadorov until the offseason and try and get him signed then. Cole has been holding his own on that second pairing quite nicely so far. I might try and add Tanev though. Having him and Cole together would make for a pretty damn good shutdown pairing, plus we'd finally have another option to play with Hughes. 

I'd try for Zadorov; he is apparently part of PA's longterm plan anyways. With the start we have had, you might as well fast fwd IF he is the guy.

As for compensation, not sure how much he'd truly cost; maybe a 3rd plus Beau? And before the "Beau has no trade value crowd" come out, he is worth something at the TDL, so maybe the return ends up being a 3rd and 4/5th for Zadorov. Just remember what the Schenn return was, and that was a TDL move.

Maybe....

2024 3rd + Beau -> Zadorov

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Zadorov

Soucy - Myers

Friedman - Hirose 

That is a great Defence for the year!

Edited by BC_Hawk

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

If he’s cheap he’s be a placeholder for eventually willander. I wouldn’t be opposed to tanev for something like 3 years if the cap hit is good. That would cover the spike from OEL buyout. 

Our cap problems aren't as dire, but it wouldn't take much to create a problem either.   We have Hronek and EP to sign.   And expecting a Schenn or Cole each year is just foolish, it's simply not going to happen.   Willander is at least this year, and next year away (best case), and then will need time to step in.   He could take considerably longer as well.   Definitely will need to keep going to the UFA well.

Edit:  One way to boost our team is to trade our first and a second (again, a future one ).   Have zero issue with that,  we can break up the band and still not suffer much on that front.   It's not a time to tank and worry about picks anymore.    If we want this core to win a cup, we can sell our first and a second and a prospect, and focus on a cost controlled RFA that is under utilized.    Can have our cake and eat it too.    That's how I see it anyways.   Adding another Hronek or JT Miller on defense, is a heck of a lot better than renting a player.   No rentals (yet). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Wasn't it Tanev who jumped early? It was his choice.

Not in favor of bringing Tanev back as the TOI he eats would be better spent on younger players. It would be a step back IMHO. 

And he is not a long term answer; he is just another not as durable Cole. IF we make moves, I want them to be longterm ones at this point. With the chemistry right now, there is no real NEED to get something done, but if you can fast fwd to the inevitable (Zadorov), that isn't a terrible idea.

And, we need to resign Cole this offseason too, Guy is a fabulous bridge as we develop some of our younger dudes in the AHL...even better that he can play both sides.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

And he is not a long term answer; he is just another not as durable Cole. IF we make moves, I want them to be longterm ones at this point. With the chemistry right now, there is no real NEED to get something done, but if you can fast fwd to the inevitable (Zadorov), that isn't a terrible idea.

And, we need to resign Cole this offseason too, Guy is a fabulous bridge as we develop some of our younger dudes in the AHL...even better that he can play both sides.

Cole and Myers likely both get offers.   But they are bandaids too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Tanev is probably the most affordable of the Flames D if the Canucks really want to add

Zadorov would be more appealing as a UFA 

Can't afford Hanifin, don't believe Andersson is on the table but likely couldn't afford him either 

Flames aren't trading with us.   Unless it's a big overpayment.    EDM,  wasn't Steve Staois the biggest deal we've ever made with them?  (it was a tiny deal at the time).  What's the last deal we've made with CAL that isn't a fringe one ... Is it a second for Bear?   As for Tanev, maybe we bring him back as a UFA, but don't expect prime Tanev either.   Expect less than prime Tanev with all the injuries. 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

Cole and Myers likely both get offers. 

I'm sure Cole got offers this year too, but choose Vancouver. Maybe give him a 2/3 year deal to make it worth his time. His ability to play up and down the lineup and both sides is invaluable going fwd.

As for Myers; let him walk. I am enjoying his play right now, but he is not a LT answer.

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Our cap problems aren't as dire, but it wouldn't take much to create a problem either.   We have Hronek and EP to sign.   And expecting a Schenn or Cole each year is just foolish, it's simply not going to happen.   Willander is at least this year, and next year away (best case), and then will need time to step in.   He could take considerably longer as well.   Definitely will need to keep going to the UFA well. 

I don’t understand when people pencil in any prospects as though it’s a given. Perhaps it’s just the luck we’ve had with some of our players making direct jumps to the NHL, but to expect Willander or any of the touted prospects to be on the roster in a year or two in a significant role is maybe a little too presumptuous.

The same thing occurs every season. According to some, Lekkerimaki could be top line next season. Same folks believed that Silovs would 100% be the back up this year and supplant Demko for trade at contract expiry. 

It’s just such a crapshoot. I would be hesitant to insert any prospects too soon, regardless of excitement about them or our cap structure and the desire to insert some ELC’s to offset. 

If anything, I think mgmt will marinate our prospects a bit longer. Not rush anyone. That’s the model that was often used in PIT, and these folks seem to be habitual in their operational practices. 

Edited by RWJC

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I'm sure Cole got offers this year too, but choose Vancouver. Maybe give him a 2/3 year deal to make it worth his time. His ability to play up and down the lineup and both sides is invaluable going fwd.

As for Myers; let him walk. I am enjoying his play right now, but he is not a LT answer.

Cole is 34 isn't he?

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Sure is! Could he not play in a reduced role until 36? We wouldn't be asking him to play Top2 minutes, and not open up the $$ gates.

Tochett wants guys to play their natural side.   It's for sure a possibility.    To me he was a hedge signing.   If we suck at the TDL but he plays well then he goes like Schenn did.   Also for the record, was fine with re-signing Schenn.     So Cole 2.5 x 2 maybe 

Edited by IBatch

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Flames aren't trading with us.   Unless it's a big overpayment.    EDM,  wasn't Steve Staois the biggest deal we've ever made with them?  (it was a tiny deal at the time).  What's the last deal we've made with CAL that isn't a fringe one ... Is it a second for Bear?   As for Tanev, maybe we bring him back as a UFA, but don't expect prime Tanev either.   Expect less than prime Tanev with all the injuries. 

Realistically, yeah, they're probably not. Anyone we want that's on the Flames roster will likely have to be added via UFA. 

I don't believe we can afford to outbid teams at this point either, we should be balancing trying to compete with restocking the cupboards. If we make further trades this season I reckon they'll be more along the lines of cap out/cap in hockey trades. 

Tanev may not be prime Tanev, but I think he'd be an effective placeholder for a while yet. All he needs to do is make us better in our own end and on the PK, I reckon he could still do that. Others have mentioned Zadorov because of his size, but I dunno. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Realistically, yeah, they're probably not. Anyone we want that's on the Flames roster will likely have to be added via UFA. 

I don't believe we can afford to outbid teams at this point either, we should be balancing trying to compete with restocking the cupboards. If we make further trades this season I reckon they'll be more along the lines of cap out/cap in hockey trades. 

Tanev may not be prime Tanev, but I think he'd be an effective placeholder for a while yet. All he needs to do is make us better in our own end and on the PK, I reckon he could still do that. Others have mentioned Zadorov because of his size, but I dunno. 

Yes let's wait and see what's available and for what next off-season.   All the dominoes come into place once we ink EP and Hronek.  

24 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I don’t understand when people pencil in any prospects as though it’s a given. Perhaps it’s just the luck we’ve had with some of our players making direct jumps to the NHL, but to expect Willander or any of the touted prospects to be on the roster in a year or two in a significant role is maybe a little too presumptuous.

The same thing occurs every season. According to some, Lekkerimaki could be top line next season. Same folks believed that Silovs would 100% be the back up this year and supplant Demko for trade at contract expiry. 

It’s just such a crapshoot. I would be hesitant to insert any prospects too soon, regardless of excitement about them or our cap structure and the desire to insert some ELC’s to offset. 

If anything, I think mgmt will marinate our prospects a bit longer. Not rush anyone. That’s the model that was often used in PIT, and these folks seem to be habitual in their operational practices. 

I think folks have been spoiled in part by having players like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes step in rather seamlessly. I'd have thought Podz would have shifted some of that thinking, maybe it has. Podz was a top 10 pick, not all top 10 picks are going to step in and be impact players off the hop but forwards are more likely to be than D. 

Willander was drafted 11OA and is a D, more than likely he'll need to stew imo. Should be a very good player down the line but we shouldn't be rushing him because of current NHL roster expectations. Lekkerimaki will likely need to stew too, that's fine. I'd rather prospects need more development time than our rushing them. 

Management needs to keep adding to our prospect pool, the best way to acquire young top 4D and top 6 forwards is to draft them. I'm hoping we don't trade our 1st, I'd rather us use it at the draft. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes let's wait and see what's available and for what next off-season.   All the dominoes come into place once we ink EP and Hronek.  

Particularly given EP's price will likely continue to rise if he has what's looking like another 100 point season. If he wins any hardware that could push it higher as well. 

Not interested in rentals or committing to large cap until we sort things out in-house. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Cole and Myers likely both get offers.   But they are bandaids too. 

I think we will bring Myers back on a 2 year team friendly deal.  I think him and Ep combined will be similar to what they make this year.

Myers is playing great as a 16 min a night guy.  He is getting more minutes most games, but that is due to us blowing teams out.  I'd have Cole back in a heartbeat as well.  If we can get him on a 2 year 2 mil deal we will be in solid shape.

I would not give up anything in the way of significant futures this year to improve the team.  D-EP, Lekkerimaki, Brustewitcz (SP!!), Willander, and any 1st or 2nds need to be off the table.  We will need ELC's to supplment this core.  We have never been as good as we are now and had another wave of young talent coming in.  If we play this right, we could be very good for a long time.

59 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tochett wants guys to play their natural side.   It's for sure a possibility.    To me he was a hedge signing.   If we suck at the TDL but he plays well then he goes like Schenn did.   Also for the record, was fine with re-signing Schenn.     So Cole 2.5 x 2 maybe 

He was a bridge signing, not a hedge in my opinion. With 6m on the books for Myers and not wanting to jettison big draft stock, they couldn't LT fix the second pair. 

What I propose now is now a versatile depth guy that can play up and down the lineup if required...and ya; 2.5m for 2 seems about right

Calgary came in and took all of our good players, had like 2 playoff games and then dipped. It's time to take something good back. Let's learn from their mistakes - don't just take old 30+ players and hope they're still in their prime.

Personally I'd go after Hanifin > Zadorov > Tanev. Surely they won't touch Anderson. Hanifin is at a real cross-roads, first he said he didn't want to play in Canada, then he wanted to re-sign, now Calgary won't re-sign anyone just yet. He's got some trade protection but why wouldn't he want to come play with the best team in Canada right now, and on a defence as young as him for the next 5 years? I'd go hard after Hanifin. Means we can drop Quinn's minutes down to say 23 minutes a night, give Hanifin a healthy 21-22 minutes and then Soucy the scraps. Most importantly it gives us a solid shutdown 2nd pairing of Hanifin - Cole. As Cole gets older and leaves, Willander steps in and we can basically interchange Hronek and Willander. That's our top-4 sorted for just about the next 5-7 years, and makes the best defence in the league by a long shot. Surely it won't cost much to acquire him as he's in a contract year - 1st + prospect should do. As for cap, we let Beau + Myers walk, re-sign Cole to 1M less and we've got plenty of room to tie everyone up.

If Hanifin really isn't an option then Zadorov is a nice consolation prize and would do well with Cole on the 2nd unit. Big, strong, physical shutdown pairing. Not as fast or good defensively as Hanifin but meaner. We're looking to go after him in the off-season for free, but why not spend a measley pick and go for him now while we look like a real contending team. We could throw them Beauvillier back for cap reasons.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Rentals are only a good idea if there is a glaring need and a short window.  We don't have either of those issues.  We're doing fine now and our future is bright too.  No point in trying to fix what isn't broken (anymore).  That said, we should always be open to improving our team if there is a good deal available but short term gains for long term pain is not a good strategy in my opinion.  GCG!

P.S. - I liked Tanev when he was here, and we probably should have kept him, but we shouldn't be chasing past mistakes for sentimental reasons.  We'll be fine defensively without him.

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Tanev is good, but I would love Zadorov.  He’s a fan favourite in Calgary and for all the right reasons.  If we could get him, we would have a bonafide top 4.

I honestly anticipate this to happen IF he is truly the guy PA wants to target in July. The capital is worth it with how the team is playing, assuming a re-sign is in order.

PA has shown he is not scared to trade some draft capital to get a asset they think makes the team better longterm.