[Article] Calgary Flames Reportedly Shopping Defensemen

RWJC

55 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He was a bridge signing, not a hedge in my opinion. With 6m on the books for Myers and not wanting to jettison big draft stock, they couldn't LT fix the second pair. 

What I propose now is now a versatile depth guy that can play up and down the lineup if required...and ya; 2.5m for 2 seems about right

Hedge signing meaning that Allvin had two options with him going into this season.   If things didn't turn out great, Cole is a good rental, if they did, also could be a decent placeholder.  Jamie Benn was the same.    Just like Schenn.     Myers money is going to Hronek or someone else (to fill that need, sure Hronek wants to stay, his pay is going to go up a ton, cushy spot next to QHs but he's also a legit first pairing RHD, that's what Button said when we got him and well he's correct).   Cole is not a long term player for us,  and won't be surprised if he moves on after this season, or signs at most a 2 year deal.    So good call there.   Also believe it's entirely possible Myers is also re-signed for about the same. 

Edit:  Best case Willander is ready for third pairing minutes after next season .... and two years of that before moving up.   For sure he's in the teams plans.   Medium long term ones. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Either Zadorov (preferred) or Tanev would be good adds at the right price (especially if Garland or Beau are going back). Otherwise I prefer we wait until summer. Let someone else pay ++ assets to rent them.

agreed

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

there’s like 0 chance scheifele who just signed his deal with ntc would waive to go to a sinking ship nor would they trade for lindholm an expiring ufa that’s unlikely to sign in Winnipeg of all places. If Calgary trades 1 for 1 it would be for pieces that have terms left.. there’s almost 0 chance any player in their prime would look to sign in Calgary given the mess they are in and the future uncertainty. Almost impossible to sell them hopes for playoff 

It was more just an example of a roughly equivalent player. I didn't do too much digging to see who actually might be available for that kind of swap.

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Peeke or Connor Murphy are the two guys Canucks should be making a play for. I would prefer Murphy even though likely more expensive. 

I would go garland for Murphy 

then sign Tanev in off season for like 3 mill x 2 yrs 

let Wally cook at university 

resign cole 1 yr 

hughes Hronek 

cole Tanev 

Soucy Murphy 

that would be arguable top d corps in league 1-6 

24 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I would go garland for Murphy 

then sign Tanev in off season for like 3 mill x 2 yrs 

let Wally cook at university 

resign cole 1 yr 

hughes Hronek 

cole Tanev 

Soucy Murphy 

that would be arguable top d corps in league 1-6 

I dont think we will have the capspace for Murphy, Tanev, and Cole next year. Would likely have to choose two. 

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

I'd probably hold off on Zadorov until the offseason and try and get him signed then. Cole has been holding his own on that second pairing quite nicely so far. I might try and add Tanev though. Having him and Cole together would make for a pretty damn good shutdown pairing, plus we'd finally have another option to play with Hughes. 

Yeah bud, Tanev and Cole would free up Hughes Hronek big time. Two legit pairs and then Soucy Myers has been awesome of late too! Finally 6 nhl D on the team again. It's been a decade ...

Was making dinner but I think I heard Eric Francis in between periods say he thinks the Flames are going to blow it up by 20 games in. He’s excited for the kids they have been giving ice time to in Zary, Pospisil, Coronato, and believes with 4 UFAs the writing is on the wall for this club to start over. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Was making dinner but I think I heard Eric Francis in between periods say he thinks the Flames are going to blow it up by 20 games in. He’s excited for the kids they have been giving ice time to in Zary, Pospisil, Coronato, and believes with 4 UFAs the writing is on the wall for this club to start over. 

What are they going to do with Huberdough and Kadri. Those two are impossible to move? 

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are they going to do with Huberdough and Kadri. Those two are impossible to move? 

Huberdeau will have value to certain clubs who think his time in CGY is just symbolic of a total franchise combustion. I could see a few teams looking at him with CGY retaining. 

Kadri (CGY also retaining) might be a fit back in COL, Huberdeau a fit as well, should they run into any injury issues or Landeskog remains out longer than expected.

WSH also needs a C now and Kadri is within cap range at 7mill per.

SJS is going to suck for a while and I can see them also being willing to bail CGY out of a contract for the right price.

CHI (currently 12 mill in cap space) has shown a willingness to overpay certain players to get above cap floor. Either of these guys would give some more ammo to their top 6 and Bedard will need better quality linemates to continue his evolution or they risk allowing him to stagnate (if possible) over time.

there are options, they are just going to prove costly and will be painful for a few years for the Lames, imho.

if they do decide it’s time to blow it up though, one of my first trades if I’m Conroy is to move Markstrom and fetch the best return you can. Teams are going to want to poach players for next to nothing given the circumstance, so I’d move Markstrom while there are a few teams searching for G, and let Vladar play out the season as starter and give Wolf some time as backup. 

Edited by RWJC

47 minutes ago, RWJC said:

SJS is going to suck for a while and I can see them also being willing to bail CGY out of a contract for the right price.

I wonder what taking on Huberdeau's contact would cost? I mean, Toronto had to pay a first for one year of Marleau.

13 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I wonder what taking on Huberdeau's contact would cost? I mean, Toronto had to pay a first for one year of Marleau.

I’d imagine a 1st, a prospect and 30% retained would be in the conversation range. Could see a return of a young player like Zadina or an expiring contract like Labanc.
Then SJS could retain another 20% or more of the Huberdeau contract (still have one slot left while carrying dead cap for Burns and Karlsson) and suddenly at 5.25 mill per year (term is a bitch though) he has actual trade value again. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

I like how with the flames a 5 year older tanev "will bring significant interest" but when he was a Canuck and far younger he was worthless.

all those "you can't give $4 mil to an injury prone 30 year old" jabronis never realize the grass is always greener. 

10 hours ago, RWJC said:

8 hours ago, RWJC said:

IMG_9182.thumb.jpeg.29285ffa62780f12db105c30b9e43696.jpeg

It's insane (and utterly hilarious) to me that the Lames lock this guy, Weegs, and Kadri in, and then a year later are thinking of blowing up the team after a dozen games. 

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It's insane (and utterly hilarious) to me that the Lames lock this guy, Weegs, and Kadri in, and then a year later are thinking of blowing up the team after a dozen games. 

trying to turn complementary pieces into core pieces out of necessity is an excellent recipe for failure. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, RWJC said:

IMG_9182.thumb.jpeg.29285ffa62780f12db105c30b9e43696.jpeg

Blow it up baby 

Huberdeau with retention to CHI 

Weegar with retention to TO??? PIT ??? Or swap with Pesce In CAR then flip pesce ?

Kadri with retention to SJS who can then flip him for retention to WSH ?

trade Tanev, Hanifin for 2nd plus B prospect at TDL 

trade Hanifin for a 1st 

trade Lindholm for 1st + B+prospect 

blow it up 

fire saaaaaalllleeee

Calgary Flames Gauging the Trade Market for Their UFA Defensemen

https://thehockeynews.com/news/calgary-flames-gauging-the-trade-market-for-their-ufa-defensemen

Calgary Flames defensemen Chris Tanev and Nikita Zadorov appeared in trade speculation this week. Could teams like the Oilers, Maple Leafs, Canucks or Bruins have enough space to make a move?

Tanev with 350k retained to Vancouver for Beauvillier and a 2024 4th round pick and a 2025 7th round pick.

Numbers balance out, as much as I'd hate to do that to Beauvillier, but Calgary can try and re-sign him, much younger player, or they can flip him at the deadline for another pick.

• Like 2

I would be absolutely over the moon if they brought our beautiful toothless daddy Chris Tanev home again.

Recent interview with Tanny on the 32 thoughts podcast:

He still wants to win.

And you just KNOW Huggy would love to have him back. As Tanev stated in the interview, "me and Quinn are pretty close." 

Huggy Tanny pairing back.

Hronek could man the 2nd pairing like most of us originally envisioned.

Please hockey gods let this be a thing.

Edited by conquestofbaguettes

On 11/9/2023 at 2:23 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Tanev with 350k retained to Vancouver for Beauvillier and a 2024 4th round pick and a 2025 7th round pick.

Numbers balance out, as much as I'd hate to do that to Beauvillier, but Calgary can try and re-sign him, much younger player, or they can flip him at the deadline for another pick.

Bringing Dad home would be a fucking dream.

Did you listen to the recent 32 thoughts podcast? Tanny did an interview. I just linked it in another post. As Tanny stated, "me and Quinn are pretty close."

I can't be the only one that would actually tear up a bit if that happened.

• Cheers 1

On 11/10/2023 at 11:22 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

This is what happens when your star player wants to be moved.......poorly thought out trades. 

But what do you do.   You've built your whole team around your star players to compete.... and then they both bail.

Imagine if that happened with Petey and Huggy.  Unless the new top guys you expect to carry that same load  have instant chemistry with the team (which is unlikely) you're fucked. The second Gaudreau and Tkachuk left was basically a pull the pin moment just like it would be in Van if Petey and Huggy bailed the same way. But blowing it all up was not a realistic expectation.... even though they probably should to maximize every  valuable asset they have left to come out stronger in half a decade from now. As even Trevor Linden stated during the rebuild years in Van, "There's this mentality that it's all or nothing — where you blow it up and get rid of everyone. [That] is virtually impossible..."

Weggar, Kadri, Huberdeau weren't "poorly thought out." They were simply desperation moves to keep what they built going. Jahnny hackey and Tkachunk fucked them is what happened.

Tanev to VAN would be a dream.  He would improve the back end significantly and munch tough mins.  Problem is he wont come cheap but I bet he would re-sign here.  Is that worth a Hoagie?  Betting Tocchett and Allvin are having some serious discussions about it….

• Like 1