[Article] Calgary Flames Reportedly Shopping Defensemen

RWJC

1 hour ago, boziffous said:

Tanev still has the reputation of being injury prone, but he has remained much healthier over the past several years.

2019-20 - Didn't miss a game

2020-21 - Didn't miss a game

2021-22 - Didn't miss a game

2022-23 - Missed 17 games

Hasn't missed a game so far this season.

He's played in 297 out of the last 314 games since the start of the 2019-20 season

That always surprised me a bit, but I figure it's probably a difference in systems and usage 

He's been part of better D cores in Calgary too, whereas him and Edler were basically on an island together in Vancouver for a good stretch

3 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I'd like to see something like Garland for Burns.  Haven't seen him play much in Carolina but the stats seem like he's still got it. 

Hughes - Burns

Zadorov - Hronek

Soucy - Cole

Maybe he'd waive to play along side Huggy.

Carolina looks you straight in the eye and says, "Why the ____ would we do that?"

Hurricanes have Burns next to Slavin on their top pair.  They'd trade him for Garland??  Why?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Probably because he plays 2nd pair with the Flames.  Canucks used him as a top pair guy, and so he saw way more action leading to injuries.  If he ends up on the Leafs, he'll be the top pair guy there... guaranteed he will get injured.

Chris Tanev, in his last 7 seasons (2013-14 to 2019-20) with the Canucks, played 422 games and averaged 20:33 per game over those 7 seasons.

Chris Tanev so far in his 3+ seasons (2020-21 to current) with Calgary, has played 228 games and averaged 20:32 per game.

Tanev's ice time is down a little bit per game this season but is still currently at 19:10 per game.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That always surprised me a bit, but I figure it's probably a difference in systems and usage 

He's been part of better D cores in Calgary too, whereas him and Edler were basically on an island together in Vancouver for a good stretch

Tanev's only healthy season with Vancouver was in 2019/20 when he was paired with Quinn Hughes. I'm guessing that made it much easier on Tanev. In Calgary playing for a better team than many of those years in Vancouver has also relieved some of that excess strain on him.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Tanev's only healthy season with Vancouver was in 2019/20 when he was paired with Quinn Hughes. I'm guessing that made it much easier on Tanev. In Calgary playing for a better team than many of those years in Vancouver has also relieved some of that excess strain on him.

Makes sense, better hockey teams are also generally better at puck possession which likely directly correlates with Tanev's improved health in Calgary 

Tanev was part of several lousy Canuck teams, and more than likely other teams had the puck most of the time during those lean years

If the team Tanev plays for carries the puck more frequently it likely results in him having to block fewer shots 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Makes sense, better hockey teams are also generally better at puck possession which likely directly correlates with Tanev's improved health in Calgary 

Tanev was part of several lousy Canuck teams, and more than likely other teams had the puck most of the time during those lean years

If the team Tanev plays for carries the puck more frequently it likely results in him having to block fewer shots 

Playing with Quinn and now the Flames over the past 5 seasons, has probably made it to where he didn't get trapped in his own end as much as some of those terrible Canucks teams did.

He still blocks a ton of shots but not quite as much as he did while in Vancouver.

In his last 7 seasons with Vancouver he averaged 2.16 blocks per game. So far with Calgary he has averaged 2.01 blocks per game.

Even though Tanev has averaged almost the exact same ATOI with Calgary (20:32) that he did in his last 7 seasons in Vancouver (20:33), he's probably not as fatigued in those same minutes. Add in blocking a little bit less shots and just some plain old luck and he's actually been pretty durable for the past several seasons.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, boziffous said:

Tanev still has the reputation of being injury prone, but he has remained much healthier over the past several years.

2019-20 - Didn't miss a game

2020-21 - Didn't miss a game

2021-22 - Didn't miss a game

2022-23 - Missed 17 games

Hasn't missed a game so far this season.

He's played in 297 out of the last 314 games since the start of the 2019-20 season

9 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Chris Tanev, in his last 7 seasons (2013-14 to 2019-20) with the Canucks, played 422 games and averaged 20:33 per game over those 7 seasons.

Chris Tanev so far in his 3+ seasons (2020-21 to current) with Calgary, has played 228 games and averaged 20:32 per game.

Tanev's ice time is down a little bit per game this season but is still currently at 19:10 per game.

Had to check myself:

2020-21 (first season with CGY):  56 out of 56 games played -- missed 0 games.  Shortened season, so maybe that helped.  Plus there were natural gaps in between because the season took longer than normal to complete. 

2021-22:  82 out of 82 games played -- missed 0 games

2022-23:  65 out of 82 games played -- missed 17 games

Current Season:  So far 0 games missed

Will be interesting to see how this season pans out for him.

On 12/7/2023 at 12:25 PM, HKSR said:

Had to check myself:

2020-21 (first season with CGY):  56 out of 56 games played -- missed 0 games.  Shortened season, so maybe that helped.  Plus there were natural gaps in between because the season took longer than normal to complete. 

2021-22:  82 out of 82 games played -- missed 0 games

2022-23:  65 out of 82 games played -- missed 17 games

Current Season:  So far 0 games missed

Will be interesting to see how this season pans out for him.

His second season in Calgary he played all 82 games but got injured in the playoffs and missed a few games there.

Why decision on Chris Tanev trade will be complicated for Flames

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/why-decision-on-chris-tanev-trade-will-be-complicated-for-flames/

CALGARY – If Rasmus Andersson was GM of the Calgary Flames, the Chris Tanev trade talk would come to a swift end.

“If there’s anyone who should be untouchable it’s Chris Tanev, in my opinion,” the Flames rearguard told Sportsnet when asked about the endless speculation swirling around his Flames teammate.  

“He’s the best.

“You guys have no clue.  You guys see 50% of it on the ice.

“Off the ice he’s just a great human being, he does everything for his teammates.”

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/why-decision-on-chris-tanev-trade-will-be-complicated-for-flames/

CALGARY – If Rasmus Andersson was GM of the Calgary Flames, the Chris Tanev trade talk would come to a swift end.

“If there’s anyone who should be untouchable it’s Chris Tanev, in my opinion,” the Flames rearguard told Sportsnet when asked about the endless speculation swirling around his Flames teammate.  

“He’s the best.

“Off the ice he’s just a great human being, he does everything for his teammates.”

just like why Huggy bear loves him 

go get him PA

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

“He’s the best.

If they want to extend Andersson they may have to pony up and pay Tanev 

He might be leaning towards leaving but money talks, Flames have looked better since November too which doesn't hurt 

On 12/8/2023 at 1:03 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

“He’s the best.

even with the injury potential I'd love to see him back here next year to finish off his career. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we ate Toronto's lunch on that trade. Now its just fun to watch Treliving get his nuts squeezed by Bears agent. 

Oh please tell me Toronto is one of the teams offering up a lot for him!! I personally didn’t want him back for anything over a million I think he’s far to inconsistent for every day mins, tanev is the guy I don’t wanna see done the leaf unless it’s them giving up cowen 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

even with the injury potential I'd love to see him back here next year to finish off his career. 

The "silver lining" to Tanev's tendency to get hurt could be that it would also allow Willander decent looks the next couple years, while not having the pressure to perform there in a full time role.

That combined with Tanev probably only needing 2-3 years of term to sign, and likely at fairly reasonable cap, arguably make him our best "interim" option. No wonder we're interested. That said, I'm sure not going to complain if we land Larsson, Pesce etc instead. But those guys are likely to need additional term that could clog things up 2,3 or 4 years down the line.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1