[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

38 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Elite teams don’t come out soft like this - Canucks have been guilty of coming out soft and counting on their goalie to bail them out until they get back into the game - Elite teams don’t come out soft like this 

If we want to take it to the next level we have to come out strong from the start and not rely on our goalies  to keep us in the game

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

As far as cap space is concerned, Miller's a bargain. Top 10 scorer in the league who's buying into Tocchet's system, is playing far above market value. 

This guy's a bull, and I don't see him fading anytime too fast. 

Millers a bargain now, absolutely.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Miller is better right now, but not by a ton.  JK is only 23 and signed to a killer deal for a long time

Yes but Miller is playing well on our team.  Players who play well for other teams don't necessarily play well for us.  Better with what's going well now than what could go well later in this case.  Miller is showing his versatility with FO%, points, 2-way game.  Not sure if he can keep it up but if he does he'll be the best we've had since Kesler in terms of Selke quality.  Only Kesler was a $%&@, got on the other team's bad side and scrapped more.  Miller has this in him too though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Yes but Miller is playing well on our team.  Players who play well for other teams don't necessarily play well for us.  Better with what's going well now than what could go well later in this case.  Miller is showing his versatility with FO%, points, 2-way game.  Not sure if he can keep it up but if he does he'll be the best we've had since Kesler in terms of Selke quality.  Only Kesler was a $%&@, got on the other team's bad side and scrapped more.  Miller has this in him too though.

It'd have been a big risk, for sure.  The Hronek deal was a big risk too

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

An opinion is wrong?  Perhaps they'd have got a huge return, tons of cap space and ended up in the same place.  

As it stands now, Miller is on borrowed time and the Canucks will have a shorter window to win.  They're playing great hockey right now and that's fantastic.

The offer for Miller was Chytil, Lundqvist and a 1st.  That's not a huge return and wouldn't have helped us at all...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trading Miller would have been a rebuilding move.  Sure, it's game #12.  Regardless, we aren't rebuilding, we basically retooled on the fly and moved assets around to strengthen the team.  Trading Horvat to get a top pairing RHD for Hughes was a stroke of genius.

True, and the bonus is that we also got a decent center prospect in Raty.  GCG!

• Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The offer for Miller was Chytil, Lundqvist and a 1st.  That's not a huge return and wouldn't have helped us at all...

That was two tdls ago and who knows if that was even legit.  Still a pretty decent deal considering how those two have progressed.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

An opinion is wrong?  Perhaps they'd have got a huge return, tons of cap space and ended up in the same place.  

As it stands now, Miller is on borrowed time and the Canucks will have a shorter window to win.  They're playing great hockey right now and that's fantastic.

An opinion is not in and of itself wrong.

What you did was refuse to listen to anyone else and say over and over again that Miller and Boeser needed to be traded and the Canucks were making a mistake sticking with them. You said it 100 times over the past 2 years.

That was wrong.  That is wrong. That is all.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller is #7 in scoring in the entire NHL and is on pace for 123 points.  His value is over $10 million right now.  He is one of the best value contracts in the entire NHL...

Exactly. Plus, the guy has the guts to stand up for our teammates and has been playing outstanding defense. 

He's clearly getting the message. WHY would you want to trade that? It's clearly a biased hatred. 

And btw, he's physically fit and built like a bull. And on top of that, he hates to lose. 

More than likely, he could turn out to be like a Pavelski type of player. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

An opinion is not in and of itself wrong.

What you did was refuse to listen to anyone else and say over and over again that Miller and Boeser needed to be traded and the Canucks were making a mistake sticking with them. You said it 100 times over the past 2 years.

That was wrong.  That is wrong. That is all.

I'm not sure you understand the concept of a discussion board

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Exactly. Plus, the guy has the guts to stand up for our teammates and has been playing outstanding defense. 

He's clearly getting the message. WHY would you want to trade that? It's clearly a biased hatred. 

And btw, he's physically fit and built like a bull. And on top of that, he hates to lose. 

Who wants to trade him now?

7 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

No the rebuild isn't over.

Team still needs to improve  their defense to really get thing locked down.

The guys who were brought in off season are improvements, but with the exception of Hronek, they are not the solution.  For one, they are older.

One more younger big D-man should be added in the 3-4 pair and they will be set to challenge.  Look at the typical Cup winners... usually they have two standout D pairs.

Canucks do have the offense... I don't think they really need anything there.... could use maybe some more depth and toughness on the 4th line/bench to throw into playoff games if people go down with injuries or things get chippy.

Right now the team offensively are playing over their head... most notably due to Hughes... but it is unrealistic to expect him to keep up this pace... that would mean as many have mentioned, a 130 point season... basically unheard of in today's NHL for a D-man.

And Demko is also playing probably a little over what he should be predicted to accomplish...  he is a very good goalie, but right now he is absolutely lights out.

I expect the team to make the playoffs, probably do so without taking the Wildcard route.

But I am a little concerned about D-size in the playoffs and the potential for injuries.

Rachel Dratch Television GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yeah, last year I was on that wagon too.  Not that I didn’t like Miller (or thought Boeser couldn’t bounce back) but it felt like a good time for a little retool.

fwiw my dream target for Miller was to the Hurricanes for an at the time overpaid, struggling Kotkaniemi - who’s at a PPG himself right now.  I know a lot of Canucks fans hated the idea of that trade even if they didn’t like Miller at the time.

Not tooting my own horn or anything, just an example to show how we could move laterally while getting younger. 

Yes, Kotkaniemi is playing into the shoes he was fitted for (hoped for) when selected. While I haven't seen him play a lot (I am a Canucks fan after all), I don't see him as playing heavy like Miller does. I stand to be corrected but would anyone trade Miller for K-Town straight up right now? Miller looks like he will play at this level for the next few years which we all hope is the "opening" all Canuck fans wish for. 

Reminds me of a conversation I had a while ago with a Toronto fan who lamented the lack of success for the Maple Leafs. I suggested they go after a move like Ovechkin (he of the no contract at the time) for Tavares or Marner with a plus added. Yes an older player for a younger player but Oven-Chicken was exactly the type of player Toronto needed as he would score 50 goals and punch your face in while he was doing it. While the Ovi to TO is a pipe dream, a trade on that level at the very least would have be a bit more than a hangup by the Capitals GM. 

Edited by Rocket-68

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

That was two tdls ago and who knows if that was even legit.  Still a pretty decent deal considering how those two have progressed.  

That was when Miller was on pace for 99 points, so his trade value was at its highest.  Chytil is a glorified winger who is on pace for 49 points.  He's not a 2C and doesn't even kill penalties.  His faceoff percentage is horrible.  Lundqvist is on the 3rd pairing in Dallas and has less points than Myers.  That trade would have been horrific for Vancouver.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nor did I, this season

You seem to be chasing your tail a lot in this conversation 

No. You seem to be covering your ass from years gone by. 

Anyway, I think Miller is a fantastic player, and so is Boeser. 

I'm glad that we didn't trade them. 

Edited by Barn Burner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That was when Miller was on pace for 99 points, so his trade value was at its highest.  Chytil is a glorified winger who is on pace for 49 points.  He's not a 2C and doesn't even kill penalties.  His faceoff percentage is horrible.  Lundqvist is on the 3rd pairing in Dallas and has less points than Myers.  That trade would have been horrific for Vancouver.

Again, doubtful that was the actual package.  

9 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I agree.  His fitness is terrific.  He can play until he is 35 at an elite level IMO.  His contract is a non issue with this team.  He is playing 2C but can easily be a 1C on many teams.  Petey/Miller are right now the best one two punch down the middle in the entire NHL.  It would have been insane to trade Miller...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Barn Burner said:

No. You seem to be covering your ass from years gone by. 

Anyway, I think Miller is a fantastic player, and so is Boeser. 

I'm glad they we didn't trade them. 

Not at all, I'd still make a Miller deal back then.  I think it would have been a great move for the future of this team