[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on Green.  Elias was going nowhere/looking like a deer lost in headlights under Green (imho) for example.  I will grant you that Green was dealt a bad hand (personnel).

was Petey the rookie of the year?  Who was his coach then?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

was Petey the rookie of the year?  Who was his coach then?

I was more referring to season(s) after that.  Sophmore slump?  Maybe.  Petey looked really out of it at one point but maybe my perception was off.  Green might be a good head coach somebody but not right now.  Let him 'earn his bones' on another squad.

Insert my bad joke of the day...Travis Green was too green for that version of the Canucks.🥸

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, Bob Long said:

Or maybe Allvin can move him.

Who knows? Regardless, I believe it's going to be a rotating type of scenario where guys like Joshua, Studnika, Beau, even Hog, are going to be in and out of the line up until they actually force their way into the line up on a permanent basis. 

Also, whether Beau is traded, which should happen near the TDL, but he's off the books at the end of this season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

That's why I hope our star players realize that in order to create a winner, they're gonna have to leave a couple mil on the table to help build the supporting cast.

Edmonton and Toronto are prime examples of teams built the wrong way, and what not to do.

That was one thing Gillis was instrumental in with the 2010-11 roster, he got the twins to take a deal and it trickled down, but every deal he gave also came with trade protection. So its a blessing and a curse… because we were hooped once the window was closing/closed.

Its also the problem playing in 1) a canadian market and 2) the curse of generational talent. With top talent comes top dollars. 
In a low tax state McDavid is probably closer to 10mil. Which is why they need to have varying caps across the league based off taxes and then have contracts done in % of cap which then makes it entirely transferable anywhere in the league.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on Green.  Elias was going nowhere/looking like a deer lost in headlights under Green (imho) for example.  I will grant you that Green was dealt a bad hand (personnel).

While its correct regarding Petey, it has to be taken into consideration, that he has matured over the last couple of years... physically in particular...

He is no longer constantly falling over....

But yes without shadow of a doubt he has taken massive strides...

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Forzatikare said:

So... For tomorrow, would you rather Canucks lose to Senators AND oilers lose to Sharks or Canucks win vs senators and Oilers win vs Sharks? Hard one! 

No it's not..... (but get your point 😂)

Keep it going... Sharks and Oilers can figure it out themselves... 

3 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Studnicka is on D?  Or is that just for drills, 4 pairs, or what?

If he can play D, he might carve a spot for himself as 7thD/13thF.

And he is a right-hand center isn't he?

Jack Studnicka of All Trades!

Whatever Ricks doing / I endorse it {insert smiley face}..

Spitballin..............................................

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

who said we'd think he was brilliant?  The foundation of this team that is so successful right now was built on the players that Benning drafted or brought in.  That's indisputable

Sure.  But that is one small part of a GMs job.  And any GM...even Gillis....would have picked Hughes, and hopefully succumbed to his amateur scouts pressure to take Petey over Glass.  You act like those decisions, which took up about 10 minutes of his tenure, were some kind of 4 dimensional chess moves that defined his whole employment here.

Along with other gems like;

"Benning inherited an absolute mess from Gillis and had to rebuild the org with his hands tied behind his back.  Allvin is able to do what he's doing precisely because Benning did what he did. "  

:classic_laugh:

Benning had a team of recent SC finalists to wheel and deal with to improve the team or start over.   NTCs can be moved if the GM is smart. He had a young stud in Tanev to anchor the D.  Gillis also gifted him two, count em two, first round picks in his first year to get the ball rolling.

That last line is hillarious.  Allvin is able to do what he's doing all thanks to Benning? Like spend the first two years just cleaning up Benning's messes?  If even the disastrous OEL + Garland had not gone down and we'd had that first round pick back instead, Allvin would have been even further ahead.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
26 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I was more referring to season(s) after that.  Sophmore slump?  Maybe.  Petey looked really out of it at one point but maybe my perception was off.  Green might be a good head coach somebody but not right now.  Let him 'earn his bones' on another squad.

Insert my bad joke of the day...Travis Green was too green for that version of the Canucks.🥸

That was when it started falling apart with Green, no question.  Up until that point, they were progressing nicely, including the bubble playoff run.  Looking back, I still don't understand why the wheels came off so spectacularly, but he lost that room in a hurry.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

That was when it started falling apart with Green, no question.  Up until that point, they were progressing nicely, including the bubble playoff run.  Looking back, I still don't understand why the wheels came off so spectacularly, but he lost that room in a hurry.

Couple of main things imo - Bo was C in name only, I don't think he really led the team in the room. The other was the defensive style, he didn't trust them to play the way Tocc does. Everything was fall back and let Demko handle shots from the outside, it wore them down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

OK now we need to get someone to drag out the pink and blue stats graphs 😁

a 36 year old Crosby is doing better to start this year, thats what. 

So? McDavid is off to a slow start, partially because of playing through an injury. In any event, this is pointless. You think Crosby is the better player and I don't.

Here's a question for you: If Holland calls Dubas and offers McDavid for Sid straight up, do you honestly believe KD would say no?

Just now, RupertKBD said:

So? McDavid is off to a slow start, partially because of playing through an injury. In any event, this is pointless. You think Crosby is the better player and I don't.

Here's a question for you: If Holland calls Dubas and offers McDavid for Sid straight up, do you honestly believe KD would say no?

no, but I bet Sakic does if its for MacK. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Don't think anyone doubt McDs ability...

When you play the best player and get the upper hand, convincingly, you should enjoy it and the banter that comes along... part and parcel of fandom.

Just ask the Sedins..... 

I dunno.....from the other responses I've gotten, it seems like a lot of people do....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

So to be fair to Green and the entire team 2020-21 shouldnt go on anyones record due to COVIDs war path through our locker room…. But 2021-22….. The missing link was Pettersson. 
Petey had an extended summer and came to camp last minute, he had a horrendous first half season, where he was held pointless 24 times in the first 40 games. When he caught fire the team took over the league and barely missed playoffs. There were no major roster changes, the team just came together all at once. This is where Petey learned a valuable lesson and it has since translated to his past 2 seasons and to the rest of the team. Get to camp early and be ready to go. This year EVERYONE was early to camp. I was sick of Green but dont blame him one bit, this was just a lesson in learning what it takes to be a star. The growing pains of youth 

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I dunno.....from the other responses I've gotten, it seems like a lot of people do....:classic_unsure:

look at it this way, sometimes the hype is wrong, or very slanted. Karlsson getting the Norris over Fox, e.g., was ridiculous. Karlsson cheated all year to hit an offence target and bled points against. Is that the best d-man? 

35 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Studnicka is on D?  Or is that just for drills, 4 pairs, or what?

If he can play D, he might carve a spot for himself as 7thD/13thF.

And he is a right-hand center isn't he?

Jack Studnicka of All Trades!

13th f generally skates with 7th d during line rushes. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

To reuse that bad joke...he was green.  He might develop into a good NHL head coach somebody.  Even a vet head coach can make blunders or lose the room.