[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller and Boeser last year, which is when I wanted them dealt?  Absolutely.

Just a reminder it's game #12

Yeah, last year I was on that wagon too.  Not that I didn’t like Miller (or thought Boeser couldn’t bounce back) but it felt like a good time for a little retool.

fwiw my dream target for Miller was to the Hurricanes for an at the time overpaid, struggling Kotkaniemi - who’s at a PPG himself right now.  I know a lot of Canucks fans hated the idea of that trade even if they didn’t like Miller at the time.

Not tooting my own horn or anything, just an example to show how we could move laterally while getting younger. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Man, I'm so happy we didn't sell low on Boeser. 

They were never going to that's the thing. Brock was the one that asked for the trade. Agent got permission to look around but the Canucks weren't actually trying to move him. Allvin straight up said "we haven't given up on him yet" while it was going on, and a trade request Brock later rescinded.

But I agree with you. Super happy he's still a Canuck and props to the Canucks staff for knowing better. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Not just saying this towards you - but what’s wrong with her commentating? 

I though just about everything she said was spot on.

She knows the game and does point out good things. But she is just terrible at the broadcasting part. Doesn't have the voice, repeats herself and just isn't smooth. After this long she should be better at the job. She just doesn't have the mic skills for the job she has. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Players, not player.  Young players at that......plus a boat load of cap.

I'm happy he and the team.are playing well, no question

We aren't rebuilding, so there was never a need to trade Miller who is superior to Horvat.  We traded Horvat and ended up getting a partner for Quinn Hughes.  Now we have cup aspirations which was always the plan.  Rutherford never came here to rebuild...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Gnarcore said:

She knows the game and does point out good things. But she is just terrible at the broadcasting part. Doesn't have the voice, repeats herself and just isn't smooth. After this long she should be better at the job. She just doesn't have the mic skills for the job she has. 

That’s fair - but it goes for a lot of former players as well. I know they eventually get cycled out but they always seem to hang around for a few years at least - so she’ll never be the only one.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't rebuilding, so there was never a need to trade Miller who is superior to Horvat.  We traded Horvat and ended up getting a partner for Quinn Hughes.  Now we have cup aspirations which was always the plan.  Rutherford never came here to rebuild...

I never said they were rebuilding, in fact I argued the opposite.  Again, it's game #12

• Cheers 1

The only thing that could have topped tonight's very exciting game is if McDavid actually got in a scrap and got his ass beat down.  It was beautiful to watch that team unravel so quickly.  They've lost their marbles and I can't see them coming back into the playoff fold without a series of sentinel moments for them.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, The Duke said:

That’s fair - but it goes for a lot of former players as well. I know they eventually get cycled out but they always seem to hang around for a few years at least - so she’ll never be the only one.

True. I think she should be fully replaced by Botterill. Now she has the broadasting thing down. As for former players Hrudey is a complete hack but at least he has the broadcasting side of it down. I'll give him that much. Even if every thing out of his mouth is asinine. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yeah, last year I was on that wagon too.  Not that I didn’t like Miller (or thought Boeser couldn’t bounce back) but it felt like a good time for a little retool.

fwiw my dream target for Miller was to the Hurricanes for an at the time overpaid, struggling Kotkaniemi - who’s at a PPG himself right now.  I know a lot of Canucks fans hated the idea of that trade even if they didn’t like Miller at the time.

Not tooting my own horn or anything, just an example to show how we could move laterally while getting younger. 

Same deal I was hoping for.  I like Milkers game, but the depth added and cap space for more moves would have been a great path to see them go down as well.

As it stands now, they have a short window to get it done, imo

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Miller is a much more complete player than Kotkaniemi. No way Kotkaniemi matches up against McDavid and the league's top players night in and night out.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Darius said:

I like how Tocchet rolled out the top unit PP at the end of the game just to turn the screw down even more on the coilers for acting like idiots.

I laughed and said the same thing at that point!  RT's full of some beauty coaching moments.  Also love that the boys get to pad the stats on these moments.

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I like how Tocchet rolled out the top unit PP at the end of the game just to turn the screw down even more on the coilers for acting like idiots.

I'll take that over fights and rough stuff anyway 

Skate away, score goals and laugh as they implode

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Didn't people say the same thing after the 2019 to 2020 season concluded?

I get things are great now but I would wait for another season before claiming this 

The rebuild is legit over.

Rutherford already referred to the new changes as a retool. Majority of this core is here to stay. Not to mention Allvin even laughed at the idea of a rebuild in Vancouver when asked about it on Donnie and Dhali. Stating "that word should not be attached to the Vancouver Canucks."

Anyone thinking they're trading core guys like a Miller or Boeser to continue "rebuilding" simply haven't been paying attention.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ManbeastMARK said:

Miller is a much more complete player than Kotkaniemi. No way Kotkaniemi matches up against McDavid and the league's top players night in and night out.

Miller is better right now, but not by a ton.  JK is only 23 and signed to a killer deal for a long time

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trading Miller would have been a rebuilding move.  Sure, it's game #12.  Regardless, we aren't rebuilding, we basically retooled on the fly and moved assets around to strengthen the team.  Trading Horvat to get a top pairing RHD for Hughes was a stroke of genius.

One of the biggest game changers for this club.  Hronek is awesome and I hope they don't split him and Hughes up.  Those two can eat up some serious minutes.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Once again expecting a better player than Miller for return, and on a continued rebuild path which was never happening under Allvin and Rutherford anyway.

Just a hunch here... but I'm guessing you also didn't think Miller was worth a 1st round pick to begin with?

Yeah, we're all glad you never got what you wanted.

Anyone who went off over and over about how the Canucks needed a rebuild has been proven wrong by the Canucks start to this year.

Stawns is a prime example of a princess in a little pink dress who can't accept that he was wrong for saying over and over again that Boeser and Miller have to be traded and running them down whenever he could.

He said it 100 times over the past 2 years and was wrong.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

The rebuild is legit over.

Rutherford already referred to the new changes as a retool. Majority of this core is here to stay. Not to mention Allvin even laughed at the idea of a rebuild in Vancouver when asked about it on Donnie and Dhali. Stating "that word should not be attached to the Vancouver Canucks."

Anyone thinking they're trading core guys like a Miller or Boeser to continue "rebuilding" simply haven't been paying attention.

Who thinks that?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Same deal I was hoping for.  I like Milkers game, but the depth added and cap space for more moves would have been a great path to see them go down as well.

As it stands now, they have a short window to get it done, imo

As far as cap space is concerned, Miller's a bargain. Top 10 scorer in the league who's buying into Tocchet's system, is playing far above market value. 

This guy's a bull, and I don't see him fading anytime too fast. 

• ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

Miller is better now, yes, but at the time it would have been KK+ as a return, a cheaper contract and when Miller is 35-36, he will be 27-28.

anyways, no chance Carolina (or us) does the deal anymore so it’s all moot

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

this team is so friggin lovable... Demko, Boeser, Hughes etc... they have the talent, but they also have the heart to overcome the tough parts of the game. And there's just no panic with this team, but I guess that starts with Demko. They are so relaxed and confident, it's a joy to watch.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trading Miller would have been a rebuilding move.  Sure, it's game #12.  Regardless, we aren't rebuilding, we basically retooled on the fly and moved assets around to strengthen the team.  Trading Horvat to get a top pairing RHD for Hughes was a stroke of genius.

Nailed it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, fanfor42 said:

Anyone who went off over and over about how the Canucks needed a rebuild has been proven wrong by the Canucks start to this year.

Stawns is a prime example of a princess in a little pink dress who can't accept that he was wrong for saying over and over again that Boeser and Miller have to be traded and running them down whenever he could.

He said it 100 times over the past 2 years and was wrong.

An opinion is wrong?  Perhaps they'd have got a huge return, tons of cap space and ended up in the same place.  

As it stands now, Miller is on borrowed time and the Canucks will have a shorter window to win.  They're playing great hockey right now and that's fantastic.

• Upvote 1