[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

3 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

This team looks and feels different.  Most people can see it.  Getting rid of JT last year wasn't the answer.  

We were a team without a system… And a lot of holes on D and supporting bottom 6 have been filled with better personal and we have a healthy Demko and a great backup 

Alvin and the chipmunks - RT and coaching staff has this team vastly improved 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  His fitness is terrific.  He can play until he is 35 at an elite level IMO.  His contract is a non issue with this team.  He is playing 2C but can easily be a 1C on many teams.  Petey/Miller are right now the best one two punch down the middle in the entire NHL.  It would have been insane to trade Miller...

Agreed. But good luck trying to tell that some on here. 

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

No the rebuild isn't over.

Team still needs to improve  their defense to really get thing locked down.

The guys who were brought in off season are improvements, but with the exception of Hronek, they are not the solution.  For one, they are older.

One more younger big D-man should be added in the 3-4 pair and they will be set to challenge.  Look at the typical Cup winners... usually they have two standout D pairs.

Canucks do have the offense... I don't think they really need anything there.... could use maybe some more depth and toughness on the 4th line/bench to throw into playoff games if people go down with injuries or things get chippy.

Right now the team offensively are playing over their head... most notably due to Hughes... but it is unrealistic to expect him to keep up this pace... that would mean as many have mentioned, a 130 point season... basically unheard of in today's NHL for a D-man.

And Demko is also playing probably a little over what he should be predicted to accomplish...  he is a very good goalie, but right now he is absolutely lights out.

I expect the team to make the playoffs, probably do so without taking the Wildcard route.

But I am a little concerned about D-size in the playoffs and the potential for injuries.

Yes the rebuild is over.

They have been retooling around the core inherited from the Benning regime.  Of course there are still a few holes and supporting pieces to acquired but the rebuild is absolutely over.

Let me ask, what is a rebuild. What is the process of a rebuild. What does that really mean?

In short, it's about finding a new core of superstars to build a team around. Through drafting, trades, and free agency. Well, they did that. The superstars are hitting their primes (or in them) and they getting better and better.

Adding supporting pieces and depth is the primary goal now. I certainly agree with you there.  But the rebuild is over. 

As I stated previously Allvin even laughed at the prospect stating "that word should not be attached to the Vancouver Canucks." But hey if you want to tell Allvin he's wrong send the criticisms to him.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Cheers 1

I'm glad they didn't trade Miller or Boeser

We would be way worse off with Lundkvist, Chytil, Kravtsov (who we got anyways) instead of Miller, and 1.5M retention on Boeser just to move him.

Not to mention the additional $$$ they would've had to pay Bo as opposed to what they signed Miller for, as they were never going to let both Miller & Bo go. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Again, doubtful that was the actual package.  

Even if it was (I remember Lundkvist and a 1st), it would at least help resign Bo Horvat. And if you were on team Horvat, having Horvat, a 1st, and Lundkvist ( and maybe Chytil) is probably equal to Miller, Beauvillier, Raty, and a 1st. 

Beauvillier = Chytil I guess

Raty is still a project while Lundkvist is an NHL D-Man

The Islander's pick was only 6 spots before the Rangers and was even Berdard protected. 

So it depends Miller is the better player now but Horvat will likely be the more effective player in 3 to 4 years time given Miller's age.   

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Same deal I was hoping for.  I like Milkers game, but the depth added and cap space for more moves would have been a great path to see them go down as well.

As it stands now, they have a short window to get it done, imo

The window isn't that short with most of the core pieces not even hitting their prime yet.  Demko, Hughes, Petey, Hronek are all under 30.  Plus we have some young prospects who could contribute in the future.  

The only real core piece that maybe an issue is JT.  Who, imo, still has at least 2 or 3 seasons left of good productive hockey.  By the time he starts to slow down, our other core pieces will be hitting their primes.  What's important is surrounding them with the necessary support group to keep this thing going.  

Edited by Metal Face Doom
  • Cheers 2

I will admit that I hate that Miller contract.
Players go downhill so fast after a certain point.  Is he great this year, yes.
Will he be great next year, will he be good the next year?  Will he be OK the year after?  Will he make L.E. look good the next year?

I'll eat my words if he gives us value through his whole contract.  OR if he helps bring a cup he was worth every cent.

I am glad we kept Brock, he has been among my fav's since he joined us.  I don't recall ever saying a negative thing about the kid.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Right now the team offensively are playing over their head... most notably due to Hughes... but it is unrealistic to expect him to keep up this pace... that would mean as many have mentioned, a 130 point season... basically unheard of in today's NHL for a D-man.

And Demko is also playing probably a little over what he should be predicted to accomplish...  he is a very good goalie, but right now he is absolutely lights out.

Prediction: Huggy Bear scores his 134th point vs Calgary Flames in the second to last game of the season and skates over to Bobby Orr for a hug and a handshake ... taking bets now!

Caveat: Hughes stays healthy the entire season. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Even if it was (I remember Lundkvist and a 1st), it would at least help resign Bo Horvat. And if you were on team Horvat, having Horvat, a 1st, and Lundkvist ( and maybe Chytil) is probably equal to Miller, Beauvillier, Raty, and a 1st. 

Beauvillier = Chytil I guess

Raty is still a project while Lundkvist is an NHL D-Man

The Islander's pick was only 6 spots before the Rangers and was even Berdard protected. 

So it depends Miller is the better player now but Horvat will likely be the more effective player in 3 to 4 years time given Miller's age.   

No thanks

Horvat could never play the way JT played today. I am talking about shutting down McJesus and then gets a Gordies hatty 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

The bus is driven by Hughes and Petey but Miller I think really epitomizes the franchise.

Miller plays with emotion…albeit sometimes with a feeling of anxiety but when he’s given the chance he’s got all the skill and drive in the world to be a difference maker.  Doesn’t need to top the league in points/hits or +/- but that fire is there and it’s for the better and the worse.  Tonight he embarrassed the best player in the league and made him look foolish while still contributing everywhere on there ice.

Quinn..He’s by for our greatest defenceman and I cannot believe I’m saying this possibly our greatest player ever.  By far the best D we’ve  ever had and it’s not close and only 24 years old.

Finally Pete also fits the mould of this team.  A bit like Pavel there’s always this underlying feeling about how he fits inside the spotlight but when it’s on and he knows it he dazzles and is at his best.  His game is like the Sedins…both of them in one player…smart, cerebral and better with a lethal shot while still somehow also being fantastic defensively.  

Long way to go but this team is different and I think they’re starting to believe it too. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who said he wasn't?

You did, actually.

"Millers a bargain now, absolutely"

Stating it in present tense says it all, dude.

Miller was bargain on the 5 million dollar deal just as he was a bargain the second he signed the 8 million dollar deal.

He's been a bargain deal his entire tenure in Vancouver.

JT Miller was worth a 1st.

Always has been.meme

😉

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

Who sits when bleuger is back?

For me PDG has been quiet this winning stretch while you constantly notice Hoglander, Garly, Joshua, Laff, Suter and to some extent beauv

That's a really good question, and a really good problem to have. 

You've got to play him. So maybe it's a rotating type of scenario to see who fits in best. 

I was really impressed with his play in the pre-season. 

He's going to add even more strength to our team.

• Like 1