[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

1 minute ago, Goal_thecup said:

Is this the PGT where we won again and are an almost historic start to the season?

Or is it the, "I am so great, I know everything, I knew everything, and I will know everything; ain't I great" thread?

VHlPuJN.gif

I didn't bring it up, just replying to people who tagged me in a convo.  Isn't that what a discussion board is for?  If I offended your sensitive nature, I apologize

We caught life yesterday after a very fortunate first period in our favour, but we responded very well after that in the last two periods.

The frustration and meltdown the Oilers had in the third period was great to watch in real time.

Need to keep the good vibes going into the Ontario/Quebec swing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Exactly. Plus, the guy has the guts to stand up for our teammates and has been playing outstanding defense. 

He's clearly getting the message. WHY would you want to trade that? It's clearly a biased hatred. 

And btw, he's physically fit and built like a bull. And on top of that, he hates to lose. 

More than likely, he could turn out to be like a Pavelski type of player. 

Only bigger and tougher. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

WTB refs that aren't actual dumpsters. Oilers getting away with so much garbage this game, though that's nothing new with the refs. Letting so much go. McDavid not called for Crosschecking Miller in the face, ya, gj there refs. Someone else crosschecking our player in the head earlier in the game not getting called either. So much interference not getting called, as well as roughing and other penalties that should have been called. Oilers not getting called for either tripping or interfering with Demko before scoring their 2nd goal. Eckholm not called for diving when drawing that penalty on Hoglander. Reffing in this league is terrible, but almost always worse in favuor of our opposition.

To be fair Hoglander dived first when Ekholm did it

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I just hope it lasts. At this point given how hard it is to find RHD I'd just rather keep him if he can stay like this.

Agreed, 100%.  We didn't get proper value out of him over the life of his contract but that wasn't entirely on him.  This year is showing just how poor our systems were in previous years.  Myer's biggest gaffes were always mental:   having more predictable structure and puck support allows him to make better decisions.  The pairing with Soucy and having a more defined shut-down role also helps.  I can see him coming back for a year or two at a bit less than half what he's making now.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1) Cant name a guy who had a bad shift last night

2) Hoglander is our dark horse. What an absolute animal that kid is in the corners. Him and Garland are out working and out muscling guys much bigger than themselves. Hoglander especially.

3) TYLER FUCKING MYERS 

4) FRIEDMAN

5) COLE

These guys are fucking punishing everybody

6) Quinn Hughes is officially a complete dman. His defensive game is far above and beyond last year, he is the walk away Norris at this point and its not even close. There you go @Alflives I’m ready to say that QH is finally one of the best defenders.

Personally as someone who has played defence my whole life and played to a pretty decent level I’ve always paid heavy attention to the defensive zone. QH wasnt nearly as effective in the dzone as his is to this point this season. He is on an entirely new level.

7) This entire team top to bottom front to back left to right destroyed Edmontons hopes and got them so far off their games that their entire top line was in the box, Ekholm took a stupid penalty on a guy half his size, McDavid and Draisaitl completely lost their minds and its only 11 games into the season.

8 ) I have been saying this for quite some time, this team has always had this potential, they just needed to put their games together at the same time. We finally have our star players ALLLLL playing at their best at the same time. I also said we just needed to build a better bottom 6, good goaltending and to address the PK and here we are 80% PK shutting McDavid out, Demko is healthy and we have a quality backup who CAN be relied on. No more 60% PK no more Spencer Martin. Our bottom 6 has been impactful every game and they are leading to extended zone time and making quick work in our zone to get the puck out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Goal_thecup said:

I'm not sure you understand the concept of a PGT.

Again, I didn't bring up the topic.  I wasn't aware there were rules in what you can talk about in the pgt.  Be a peach and list them off for me, so I don't ruffle your feathers next time 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I didn't bring up the topic.  I wasn't aware there were rules in what you can talk about in the pgt.  Be a peach and list them off for me, so I don't ruffle your feathers next time 

There appears to be a lot of things you are not aware of; it is not up to me to list out anything for you.

Fluff out your own ragged feathers!

Just now, Goal_thecup said:

Fake apology = I am right about everything again, look at me.

Remind me........did I engage you or did you engage me?

I hope you're working on that list because you seem pretty upset and I really hate upsetting the rank and file

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DANJR said:

I will admit that I hate that Miller contract.
Players go downhill so fast after a certain point.  Is he great this year, yes.
Will he be great next year, will he be good the next year?  Will he be OK the year after?  Will he make L.E. look good the next year?

I'll eat my words if he gives us value through his whole contract.  OR if he helps bring a cup he was worth every cent.

I am glad we kept Brock, he has been among my fav's since he joined us.  I don't recall ever saying a negative thing about the kid.

If Miller stays healthy for his entire contract, it is possible to maintain that production for as long as he has players around him doing the work.  Nobody can carry the team by himself in today's game, not even McDavid.  It is a lot easier to maintain his play if he is surrounding with talents and is not overworked.   Tocchet knows the limit and will adjust his strategy when decline inevitable comes and he experienced that firsthand as a NHL player.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Completely off topic (i.e., the Canucks), but Trudeau has done a lot of good things for Canada. I won't vote for him again (for reasons I won't go into here) but he isn't a broken clock. For example, he created the Infrastructure Bank of Canada and seeded it with about $34B. This is huge for Canada, forward thinking, something he will not get credit for and has helped a project I am working on with First Nations immensely. 

WE at SNC Lavalin totally agree. He did lots of good things.

• Cheers 1

This a.m.

I'd like to thank 

Thatcher Demko for getting us 2 points.

The team will need to keep those types of slow starts down to 4 or 5 more for the remainder of the season, of which hopefully Demmer can keep them in 2 or 3 till they wake up.

I find it a bit funny how the "punish them on the power play' mantra is once again an acceptable technique; when just a few years back a lot of folk where completely choked by that line of thought.

Guess having new coaches, doing the same thing, is now somehow different.

Great to be on the plus side of the hunt for a play off spot, numbers in our favour rather than rolling against us.

4 win lead for the 2nd wild card spot, with roughly 69 games left for other teams to catch up-already getting harder for any of them to do.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

This a.m.

I'd like to thank 

Thatcher Demko for getting us 2 points.

The team will need to keep those types of slow starts down to 4 or 5 more for the remainder of the season, of which hopefully Demmer can keep them in 2 or 3 till they wake up.

I find it a bit funny how the "punish them on the power play' mantra is once again an acceptable technique; when just a few years back a lot of folk where completely choked by that line of thought.

Guess having new coaches, doing the same thing, is now somehow different.

Great to be on the plus side of the hunt for a play off spot, numbers in our favour rather than rolling against us.

4 win lead for the 2nd wild card spot, with roughly 69 games left for other teams to catch up-already getting harder for any of them to do.

Nothing feels sweeter than strict discipline to (mostly) skate away, punish them on the scoreboard, watch them implode and then laugh while they do.  It's so much more satisfying than trying to beat them down physically 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

1) Cant name a guy who had a bad shift last night

2) Hoglander is our dark horse. What an absolute animal that kid is in the corners. Him and Garland are out working and out muscling guys much bigger than themselves. Hoglander especially.

3) TYLER FUCKING MYERS 

4) FRIEDMAN

5) COLE

These guys are fucking punishing everybody

6) Quinn Hughes is officially a complete dman. His defensive game is far above and beyond last year, he is the walk away Norris at this point and its not even close. There you go @Alflives I’m ready to say that QH is finally one of the best defenders.

Personally as someone who has played defence my whole life and played to a pretty decent level I’ve always paid heavy attention to the defensive zone. QH wasnt nearly as effective in the dzone as his is to this point this season. He is on an entirely new level.

7) This entire team top to bottom front to back left to right destroyed Edmontons hopes and got them so far off their games that their entire top line was in the box, Ekholm took a stupid penalty on a guy half his size, McDavid and Draisaitl completely lost their minds and its only 11 games into the season.

8 ) I have been saying this for quite some time, this team has always had this potential, they just needed to put their games together at the same time. We finally have our star players ALLLLL playing at their best at the same time. I also said we just needed to build a better bottom 6, good goaltending and to address the PK and here we are 80% PK shutting McDavid out, Demko is healthy and we have a quality backup who CAN be relied on. No more 60% PK no more Spencer Martin. Our bottom 6 has been impactful every game and they are leading to extended zone time and making quick work in our zone to get the puck out.

Regarding your #2 point about Hoglander, yet again when asked about Hogz, Tocchet  is very reluctant to heap praise on the kid. Clearly, he is not quite sold on some of his puck managment/decisions and to be fair he is good for a gaff or two every game. But the absolute demon he is on the forecheck, and the fact he is developing into an absolute elite pest to other teams AND the fact he provides an offensive threat from the bottom 6 deserves more praise from the coach I think. But perhaps Tocchet just doesn’t want to Hogz to become complacent with his spot in the lineup. A spot which should be absolutely safe. I’d park Joshua and Bovillyeh before Hogz.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Regarding your #2 point about Hoglander, yet again when asked about Hogz, Tocchet  is very reluctant to heap praise on the kid. Clearly, he is not quite sold on some of his puck managment/decisions and to be fair he is good for a gaff or two every game. But the absolute demon he is on the forecheck, and the fact he is developing into an absolute elite pest to other teams AND the fact he provides an offensive threat from the bottom 6 deserves more praise from the coach I think. But perhaps Tocchet just doesn’t want to Hogz to become complacent with his spot in the lineup. A spot which should be absolutely safe. I’d park Joshua and Bovillyeh before Hogz.

This is my preferred theory. Don't get me wrong, the kid has a great work ethic, but don't give him a reason to take his foot off the gas. I've been seeing some Burrows in him lately and it's those qualities that will make him successful.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1