[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Regarding your #2 point about Hoglander, yet again when asked about Hogz, Tocchet  is very reluctant to heap praise on the kid. Clearly, he is not quite sold on some of his puck managment/decisions and to be fair he is good for a gaff or two every game. But the absolute demon he is on the forecheck, and the fact he is developing into an absolute elite pest to other teams AND the fact he provides an offensive threat from the bottom 6 deserves more praise from the coach I think. But perhaps Tocchet just doesn’t want to Hogz to become complacent with his spot in the lineup. A spot which should be absolutely safe. I’d park Joshua and Bovillyeh before Hogz.

The way he is playing I might mix up the lw a bit, just to see.

Hogz Petey mik

Kuz miller Boeser

Pdg suter garland

Joshua Lafferty AB

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

1) Cant name a guy who had a bad shift last night

2) Hoglander is our dark horse. What an absolute animal that kid is in the corners. Him and Garland are out working and out muscling guys much bigger than themselves. Hoglander especially.

3) TYLER FUCKING MYERS 

4) FRIEDMAN

5) COLE

These guys are fucking punishing everybody

6) Quinn Hughes is officially a complete dman. His defensive game is far above and beyond last year, he is the walk away Norris at this point and its not even close. There you go @Alflives I’m ready to say that QH is finally one of the best defenders.

Personally as someone who has played defence my whole life and played to a pretty decent level I’ve always paid heavy attention to the defensive zone. QH wasnt nearly as effective in the dzone as his is to this point this season. He is on an entirely new level.

7) This entire team top to bottom front to back left to right destroyed Edmontons hopes and got them so far off their games that their entire top line was in the box, Ekholm took a stupid penalty on a guy half his size, McDavid and Draisaitl completely lost their minds and its only 11 games into the season.

8 ) I have been saying this for quite some time, this team has always had this potential, they just needed to put their games together at the same time. We finally have our star players ALLLLL playing at their best at the same time. I also said we just needed to build a better bottom 6, good goaltending and to address the PK and here we are 80% PK shutting McDavid out, Demko is healthy and we have a quality backup who CAN be relied on. No more 60% PK no more Spencer Martin. Our bottom 6 has been impactful every game and they are leading to extended zone time and making quick work in our zone to get the puck out.

And @AnthonyG Alf’s empties are admitting our core was built by Benning. 
Demko, Petey, Miller, Hughes, Boeser (he’s played like a core piece again) and Miller. 
Is there a club with the elite players we have in the key positions of goalie, top two D, top two centres, and scoring winger? 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It's pretty tiring listening to all the stat watchers saying the Canucks are playing over there heads. Do I expect them to play like this every game? No, but it's funny nobody mentions how the Oilers last year had a record season for everyone in their lineup. Add to the fact that they had an insane PP% last year as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RWJC said:

Much like Van the last two seasons, it's amazing how fast it can slip away.  That said, the Oilers are much more able to turn it around than Van was.  I'd say theve got a week, maybe two to get on a winning streak

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Mando27 said:

It's pretty tiring listening to all the stat watchers saying the Canucks are playing over there heads. Do I expect them to play like this every game? No, but it's funny nobody mentions how the Oilers last year had a record season for everyone in their lineup. Add to the fact that they had an insane PP% last year as well.

I'd like to see the fancy charts with the SJ and opening night factored out. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

DISCIPLINE DISCIPLINE BUT TET TEAM TOUGHNESS..YOU WANT TO STICK UP FOR FELLOW TEAM MATES BUT YOU NEED TO PLAY SMART HOCKEY...I LIKE THAT ANY TEAM CAN TRY PUSHING THE CANUCKS AROUND WHICH IS HOCKEY BUT TEAM USES COMMON SENSE AND TO PAY BACK AT A LATER TIME AND MAKE SURE THAT HANDS AND SHOULDERS ARE NOT INJURED..LIKE THE WAY THEY ARE EVEN KEELED ON THE ICE BUT YET YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN TO TURN IT UP...HAVING YOUR GEAD ON A SWIVEL OUT THERE AND NOT REACT TO EVERYTHING IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT UNLESS VERY  NEEDED..

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

19 minutes ago, Gurn said:

This a.m.

I'd like to thank 

Thatcher Demko for getting us 2 points.

The team will need to keep those types of slow starts down to 4 or 5 more for the remainder of the season, of which hopefully Demmer can keep them in 2 or 3 till they wake up.

I find it a bit funny how the "punish them on the power play' mantra is once again an acceptable technique; when just a few years back a lot of folk where completely choked by that line of thought.

Guess having new coaches, doing the same thing, is now somehow different.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nothing feels sweeter than strict discipline to (mostly) skate away, punish them on the scoreboard, watch them implode and then laugh while they do.  It's so much more satisfying than trying to beat them down physically 

@Gurn you raise a good point. I had to think for a minute why I used to be angry when people said make them pay on the scoreboard but why I was happy when we sent out pp1 and scored in the final minute last night.

Its all about context of the game. The Oilers were super frustrated. It wasn't goons or nobodys taking runs at guys like Petey and Hughes. We literally had their top line sitting in the box. 3 superstars essentially taking weak penalties because they were having a hissy fit. So it makes sense to run up the score on the scoreboard because that hurts them more. 

In contrast, if we had a guy like deharnais or nurse running around trying to take out Hughes with a cheap shot, I would be furious if we sent out pp1 as a response. I would expect Joshua, Myers, Cole to go after MCDavid in retribution. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The way it looks to me right now is we have 3 spots to exchange for bigger, more skilled players: Joshua, Beau, Friedman. 

Not that they are stinking up the rink (although Joshua's penalties are so dumb) but thats where I think we can replace guys, get better and not mess with the team chemistry too much. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Remind me........did I engage you or did you engage me?

I hope you're working on that list because you seem pretty upset and I really hate upsetting the rank and file

Back on "Ignore"; I tried to listen to you but it is just the same drivel over and over and over and over...

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

The way it looks to me right now is we have 3 spots to exchange for bigger, more skilled players: Joshua, Beau, Friedman. 

Not that they are stinking up the rink (although Joshua's penalties are so dumb) but thats where I think we can replace guys, get better and not mess with the team chemistry too much. 

I would love an acquisition like Deslaurier out of Philly to upgrade our toughness. We also have Teddy B coming back too. Along with potentially signing Bear 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Love his addition but Hronek also takes his share of untimely penalties