[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The way it looks to me right now is we have 3 spots to exchange for bigger, more skilled players: Joshua, Beau, Friedman. 

Not that they are stinking up the rink (although Joshua's penalties are so dumb) but thats where I think we can replace guys, get better and not mess with the team chemistry too much. 

Agree on all three, though I think Joshua with Lafferty might be a good combo.

For the first time, they've got a bit of a succession problem with some young guys who are out growing the AHL, but no room for them on the big squad.  It's a good problem to have, but one that needs to be addressed

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

I see what you did there ... The Who ... Who's Next album 1971 ... I never get tired of this album!

Same with Quadrophenia.. 'the beach is the place, where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world that's for real'

Bwam Schmashhh! (Townsend's Rickenbacker getting pounded again.)

(Another fave of mine:

'Doctor Jimmy and Mister Jim

When I'm pilled you don't notice him

He only comes out when I drink my gin')

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Love his addition but Hronek also takes his share of untimely penalties 

Hronek is a brilliant player. He’s second in the league for scoring by D (only behind Quinn) and is a plus 12. 
He’s an elite player. All players take players, especially when they are engaged in physical, defensive play. 

• Cheers 4

I know it's early days and seasons can change fast, but I don't see any signs of the Canucks showing any weaknesses which could lead to a long skid streak. If their scoring dries up, their defence and goalie will carry them through. If a goalie goes cold we've got a good backup and our D will help out. If suddenly our PP or PK drop off, we're good enough at even strength. So far we've dominated just about every position and stat across the board so even if one or two things faulter later in the season, the rest of the team can prop it up.

Conversely, look at the Oilers and Flames. Nothing is going well for them, and I don't see either team getting their way out of this hole. Even if their scoring picks up, their sloppy D and goalie will let them down. The goaltender is key for Edmonton - they have no way of one of those guys going on a hot streak run the way Demko can and that will be their down-fall. Combine that with a dreadfully bad defence and no wonder they're at the bottom of the league

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

I think Tocchet sent a message to the Canuck team late in the third. He put the #1 power play out in a 5-2 game when normally a coach wouldn't do that. I think that move was sending a message to the Coilers, you try cheap shots, we'll make you pay, regardless of the score. I, for one, is glad he did. I have never seen such an entitled team of so-called superstar babies in my life. I've been saying for years that team has no goaltending, see the Hoglander goal and the rebound that was put on his stick. Plus, their defense is even worse. I don't see Woodcroft surviving this tire fire into the weekend. Is it his fault? I don't think it is, but, he's got the two "best" players in the World as everyone tells us, and they aren't even close to winning anything.

Can the Canucks keep this pace up for an 82 game schedule? Not likely, but this is sure as hell fun watching the Eastern Networks, TSN, and Sportsnet taking notice. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that the Canucks would outscore the Oilers 17-4 in three games?

I always try to see the best in everyone and every situation. Understand why and where the mood is coming from.

But the Oilers today…

Both McDavid and Draisaitl looked so entitled and diva all the way. That team is a mess. It has been for years but I don’t think they can come back from this. And the leadership group… McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane and Nurse. Way too much ego and entitlement for them to fix this and get the team behind them. And with the coach being even more of an issue - it will not end well.

btw, brilliant game again guys,

Go Canucks Go

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know it's early days and seasons can change fast, but I don't see any signs of the Canucks showing any weaknesses which could lead to a long skid streak. If their scoring dries up, their defence and goalie will carry them through. If a goalie goes cold we've got a good backup and our D will help out. If suddenly our PP or PK drop off, we're good enough at even strength. So far we've dominated just about every position and stat across the board so even if one or two things faulter later in the season, the rest of the team can prop it up.

Conversely, look at the Oilers and Flames. Nothing is going well for them, and I don't see either team getting their way out of this hole. Even if their scoring picks up, their sloppy D and goalie will let them down. The goaltender is key for Edmonton - they have no way of one of those guys going on a hot streak run the way Demko can and that will be their down-fall. Combine that with a dreadfully bad defence and no wonder they're at the bottom of the league

While I agree, despite the incredibly satisfying result, it wasn't a particularly well played game by Vancouver and Vegas probably would have completely dismantled them by the end of the first.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is a brilliant player. He’s second in the league for scoring by D (only behind Quinn) and is a plus 12. 
He’s an elite player. All players take players, especially when they are engaged in physical, defensive play. 

Oh I realize that, I’m just saying he does take noticeable penalties but it’s acceptable because of what else he provides. Much like JTM last season.

I’m not a fan of Joshua but his taking dumb penalties is part of the process when trying to establish himself as a defensive forward. It’s why Tocchet keeps giving him opportunities to learn and convert into that style of player. If he can get a real grasp of the role and refine it, he’ll maintain an NHL career, but he’s got to be able to perform it without hurting the club.

What I'm seeing from this team right now is the same thing I saw in 1994 after the team started coming together post-trade. (when they added Jeff Brown, Brett Hedican, and Nathan Lafayette)
Everything just started to come together simultaneously after that trade, and we all know what happened then.

Time will tell if history is repeating itself, but we have a big piece of our PK and bottom 6 in Blueger who hasn't even played a game yet, and a GM group that is heavy on the phones trying to make further upgrades.

They've almost single handedly knocked a contender in Edmonton, out of the playoffs by the beginning of November. 

Turn about is fair play! 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Good percentage, indeed...

F-WCUgZaMAA5Tw1?format=jpg&name=small

I don't watch devils hockey. Are jack Hughes and Bratt on the same line? If so, what Petey and Miller are doing is far superior as they are doing it as a 1-2 punch down the middle meaning the team is scoring more goals total than just padding each others' stats. It'll be interesting to see how bratt does without the now injured Hughes. 

If they are on different lines, much respect as well. 

Quinn Hughes being up there as a d man is unreal. 

High praise from toch when he says Quinn walks the line as good as anybody he's ever seen. RT doesn't BS and he's seen a lot of hall of famers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never watched Bobby Orr play live.  But I did watch Paul Coffey play live his entire career.  Quinn Hughes is at Paul Coffey's level right now...

Dare I say it, but Bobby Orr is probably the best comparable for Hughes right now.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Agree on all three, though I think Joshua with Lafferty might be a good combo.

For the first time, they've got a bit of a succession problem with some young guys who are out growing the AHL, but no room for them on the big squad.  It's a good problem to have, but one that needs to be addressed

Might we use some of our AHL (prospects) in a bigger trade to bring in an NHL top 4 D?  Bad idea? 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Might we use some of our AHL (prospects) in a bigger trade to bring in an NHL top 4 D?  Bad idea? 

They're going to need good players on cheap deals when they shell out $20m a year to Petey and Hronek.  As I said before, they're dangerously close to the same precipice that TO and Edm stepped over

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Dare I say it, but Bobby Orr is probably the best comparable for Hughes right now.

He is just slicing the other teams apart, like Gordon Ramsay at the prep table. It's incredible to watch. 

You have to hope that Allvin is trying to add some muscle - specifically to the back end - because they are going to be coming for him now, and you can't dodge them all.

We play Vegas Nov 30, and we're in Boston Feb. 8 - that means watch out for the slippery shitsnake Marchand. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, farinush said:

We’ve endured a decade of darkness. At times, we weren’t sure what we were even doing it for but we knew in our hearts something would come. Seeing the Oilers implode has made the last 10 years worth it.

Suck it Drance, suck it Sekeres, and suck it Price