[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're going to need good players on cheap deals when they shell out $20m a year to Petey and Hronek.  As I said before, they're dangerously close to the same precipice that TO and Edm stepped over

They are close but we have much better internal cap structured depth. I’m not so worried about becoming too top heavy…you have to pay your top players. But the game is to get value from your secondary and tertiary guys and mgmt seems to have a strong grasp on how to do that and whom to target. It’s why I’ve said in previous posts I envision them targeting RFA bridge deal or first time UFA level players whom are in the verge of stepping up and can be cost controlled for 3-5 year deals.

You can’t rely on prospects…best way to continue the team trajectory is to fill from within the current league roster and basically capitalize on other team’s investment of developmental time, integration and establishment of youth/term by trading for and adding it to your own roster. You have a much better opportunity and history to gauge what you’re getting, what you can roughly count on, what you’ll pay in terms of salary and how you’ll afford it in balancing cap space and without compromising traction in the standings.

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

The window isn't that short with most of the core pieces not even hitting their prime yet.  Demko, Hughes, Petey, Hronek are all under 30.  Plus we have some young prospects who could contribute in the future.  

The only real core piece that maybe an issue is JT.  Who, imo, still has at least 2 or 3 seasons left of good productive hockey.  By the time he starts to slow down, our other core pieces will be hitting their primes.  What's important is surrounding them with the necessary support group to keep this thing going.  

Good point that the core is still young and even Miller probably has 2 or 3 very good years left and will still be decent for another 2 or 3 years after that.

The problem is not age. The problem is contracts in that the Canucks need to re-sign both Petey and Hronek. And let's face it, both those guys have been essential for the team's success. Both guys will be RFA next year, so the Canucks will definitely have them next  year (barring trade). Obviously the Canucks want to sign both guys ASAP, but if they go to free agency they will both get a lot and it is not obvious that the Canucks will be able to afford them, even assuming they are willing to stay. Also Kuzy's 2-year deal runs out after next year as well. If those guys do not re-sign, the window could close after that

We know how things stand with Petey but I have seen nothing about Hronek. I am sure the Canucks have tried to re-sign him. Anyone know anything?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Love his addition but Hronek also takes his share of untimely penalties 

I checked his stat page, looks like under 40 mins per year typically.

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Myers deserves Nurse's contract more then Nurse does! 😆

Jim? How you been buddy?

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I checked his stat page, looks like under 40 mins per year typically.

Jim? How you been buddy?

yeah that’s not much, its just when that have been slightly noticeable to me 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Good point that the core is still young and even Miller probably has 2 or 3 very good years left and will still be decent for another 2 or 3 years after that.

The problem is not age. The problem is contracts in that the Canucks need to re-sign both Petey and Hronek. And let's face it, both those guys have been essential for the team's success. Both guys will be RFA next year, so the Canucks will definitely have them next  year (barring trade). Obviously the Canucks want to sign both guys ASAP, but if they go to free agency they will both get a lot and it is not obvious that the Canucks will be able to afford them, even assuming they are willing to stay. Also Kuzy's 2-year deal runs out after next year as well. If those guys do not re-sign, the window could close after that

We know how things stand with Petey but I have seen nothing about Hronek. I am sure the Canucks have tried to re-sign him. Anyone know anything?

Im betting it'll cost $20m per year to sign those two 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Same with Quadrophenia.. 'the beach is the place, where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world that's for real'

Bwam Schmashhh! (Townsend's Rickenbacker getting pounded again.)

(Another fave of mine:

'Doctor Jimmy and Mister Jim

When I'm pilled you don't notice him

He only comes out when I drink my gin')

Who are you to think you’re someone?

IMG_8961.thumb.jpeg.ce249d63b8fe2ccef71b03e95071a71e.jpeg

Keith Moon passed away 3 weeks after this albums release. It has been noted that the chair he’s sitting in says “not to be taken away”.

The cover photographer, Terry Oneil, insisted that Moon position himself behind the chairs back to hide his distended belly due to alcoholism. It was alcoholism that took Keith. RIP.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

But the Oilers are touted "an elite team" and they come out like gangbusters and then run out of gas. All in for half a period. So a team like that? (pun intended)

Elite teams have to find a way to win....it's not the start of the game, it's the finish that matters. 

We have an elite goaltender...that also matters. He's capable of what he's doing and actually seems to thrive by getting "involved" early in the game.

Absolutely- you have to be consistent throughout the game… I guess I just see this is them falling back into old patterns that they’ve had over the last 2 to 3 seasons - they come out flat rely on the goalie and then work their way into the game… But good teams don’t do that good teams start strong and maintain it throughout the game…

In my experience with competitive sports all of the best team started strong and stayed strong throughout the entire game and that’s why they won…

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We went to games just to see the other teams. Saw Orr. Saw him a lot on TV too, which isn’t the same, of course. With the puck Orr was like a hybrid of Hughes and Makar. Without the puck he was like Pronger. He was the best on his edges and keeping possession while eluding defenders and creating time to move the puck up ice like Hughes. He was the fasted guy skating without the puck, so he could attack like Makar. Add to that he was a tough MOFU, like Pronger, when called upon and was the best defensive D in every way. 
Hughes is fabulous. I’ve always said that. Makar is great too, but in a different way. Orr was like Secretariat though. He was unique. 

And one thing only old folks know is how truly bad skates (and sharpening) was back then.  For Orr to skate like he did on those blades was something that will probably never be replicated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

It's pretty tiring listening to all the stat watchers saying the Canucks are playing over there heads. Do I expect them to play like this every game? No, but it's funny nobody mentions how the Oilers last year had a record season for everyone in their lineup. Add to the fact that they had an insane PP% last year as well.

Yeah, PDO, regression, blah, blah, blah.  Maybe not all of Petey, Hughes, Hronek, Demko, Miller and Boesser will end up having the career years they're currently  headed for, but there's no denying that the team as a whole has found a whole other level of play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Absolutely- you have to be consistent throughout the game… I guess I just see this is them falling back into old patterns that they’ve had over the last 2 to 3 seasons - they come out flat rely on the goalie and then work their way into the game… But good teams don’t do that good teams start strong and maintain it throughout the game…

In my experience with competitive sports all of the best team started strong and stayed strong throughout the entire game and that’s why they won…

Agreed, they can't have many games like and expect the same result.  They got lucky last night, for sure

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Who are you to think you’re someone?

IMG_8961.thumb.jpeg.ce249d63b8fe2ccef71b03e95071a71e.jpeg

Keith Moon passed away 3 weeks after this albums release. It has been noted that the chair he’s sitting in says “not to be taken away”.

The cover photographer, Terry Oneil, insisted that Moon position himself behind the chairs back to hide his distended belly due to alcoholism. It was alcoholism that took Keith. RIP.

Keith and John. Two of the greatest drummers taken too soon.

image.png.574b694c7c6fe23e1ddd849fe7756bef.png

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Everyone is playing so good.

Even the Chaos Giraffe is now just a plain old Giraffe.

RT has been super happy with his play. 

Enough can't be said about our coaching staff especially with Foote and Gonchar back there. 

Yesterday the oilers tried to surprise us by splitting up MCDavid and Drais. RT said the plan worked and we were on our heels. 

The part I love about this is that our staff adjusted to this and broke up the Hronek hughes pairing and went with other pairings. 

Huge kudos to Foote running the d pairings and making sure everyone understood their assignments. Team was in sync and all on the same page. This only happens when you have good coverage on all the positions  with competent staff. 

RT was saying Hogs has been a monster on the forecheck but the Sedins are helping him with his play off the puck etc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1