[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In all fairness, I think every team in the league has a legitimate gripe against the state of officiating.

Absolutely.  I was more getting at teams like the Oilers who seem to depend on officiating going their way on a regular basis, and maybe a ref getting fed up with it.

Of course, that assumes that the refs are fair, in general, and we've all heard (or perhaps even made) arguments against that being the case.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

The whole team, other than the goalie had bad shifts, until the shots were about 19-2, then got it going and earned the win after that.

Realistically how many of those shots were actually big threats? Not many. We weathered the storm, kept shots to the outside tied sticks up in front didnt allow many rebound attempts. I was shocked when Iooked up and noticed the shots. I never felt like we were in serious danger. Guys werent getting dangled, no one was getting walked, there wasnt openings in high danger areas.

All situation HD shots against 12

5v5 HD shots against 9

HDGA 0

All situation MD shots against 10

5v5 MD shots against

MDGA 1

All situation LD shots against 20

5v5 LD shots against 16

LDGA 1

Vancouver helped make Demko’s job easier by keeping half of deadmontons shot to the outside or from out far.

5v5

IMG_0967.png.53792a8bf821fdec068ee2a0d08d3085.png

All situations 

IMG_0968.png.0b301e9426b3d959bb08106256eccebf.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Nice to wake up and watch mcbaby in shambles

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/post-raw-mcdavid-11-06-23-6340659630112

The guy is not coming back when his contract is done. Sorry Edmonton. Time for another rebuild. 

Petey, don't do what Connor did. Sign a contract that allows the team to stay together. 

Sorry, can't resist:

7 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Orr dominated at both ends of the ice. Led the league in scoring for a whole season and was defensively a stud. His skating at the time was unseen before and really could get involved when things got rough. I remember he was in Vancouver one year and we had a power play. He had the puck for the whole two minutes i believe. There hasnt been a D man in his category since and I regard him as a better player than Gretzky. If his career hadnt been shut down early from the knee in jury the argument may have been moot.... thats Moot not Moo..lol

I have always believed that Bobby Orr was the GOAT, a true pioneer. While Gretzky was a great scorer, Orr revolutionized the position. Paul Coffey, Makar, QH all would have been forwards if not for Orr. I'm not sure there is an athlete who had a greater impact on his or her sport than Orr had on hockey. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Realistically how many of those shots were actually big threats? Not many. We weathered the storm, kept shots to the outside tied sticks up in front didnt allow many rebound attempts. I was shocked when Iooked up and noticed the shots. I never felt like we were in serious danger. Guys werent getting dangled, no one was getting walked, there wasnt openings in high danger areas.

5v5 HD shots against 9

HDGA 0

5v5 MD shots against

MDGA 1

5v5 LD shots against 16

LDGA 1

Vancouver helped make Demko’s job easier by keeping half of deadmontons shot to the outside or from out far.

5v5

All situations 

They had 4-5 high quality chances in the first 10-12 mins

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good thing we didn't rebuild, this place would be insufferably toxic af.

Fans deserve winning hockey after being told to have patience upon patience upon patience. 

Thankfully we have a management and coaching staff that can put it together quickly. Allvin and co have done a remarkable job in a short amount of time. 

You can't rebuild when you have EP, QH, and Demko (add BB) reaching their prime. 

A major surgery was needed, and it was a successful off season.  

They aren't done yet and didn't mortgage the future.   I expect this team to get even better after they move a few players out to free up cap. 

• Cheers 3

52 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Absolutely- you have to be consistent throughout the game… I guess I just see this is them falling back into old patterns that they’ve had over the last 2 to 3 seasons - they come out flat rely on the goalie and then work their way into the game… But good teams don’t do that good teams start strong and maintain it throughout the game…

In my experience with competitive sports all of the best team started strong and stayed strong throughout the entire game and that’s why they won…

You are right, I mean how many years did we see Detroit walk in here as a well oiled machine from puck drop to the end buzzer. But even the top teams have one offs or weak moments where areas of their team keep them in it when needed. It is not ideal and certainly not a trend or indication of any bad habits the team is falling back on in last night's case. And people really need to stop using the argument that a team relies on their netminder too heavily at moments during games, because last I checked goaltenders are part of the team, the one player that is on the ice throughout for the most part and you can't apologize for having a good goaltender or disregard their importance overall.

Dominik Hasek was on some pretty good teams, he was the straw that stirred the drink on his teams, he was relied upon heavily and gave his teams a chance to win. On the flip side, Ed Belfour was great but he was very insulated on well defended and structured teams in Dallas. Yes he could make big saves but he was very protected in that team's system which was very successful as well.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

5v5 HD shots against 9

HDGA 0

5v5 MD shots against

MDGA 1

5v5 LD shots against 16

LDGA 1

5v5

All situations 

That was truly the tail of the tape. Demko played REALLY well, but made the saves that he should make.; only let in a wickedly placed shot by Ekholm.

Not comparing the teams themselves, but the Canucks NOW play the same game as LV. Play your game (sound two way high effort hockey); keep calm and just keep trudging on, then capitalize of the other team's mistakes. That's how teams beat us last year, and that's how you beat the Oilers of the league. Its the winning formula...I am just not sure why Edm can not see it and make it happen there.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

You can't rebuild when you have EP, QH, and Demko (add BB) reaching their prime. 

A major surgery was needed, and it was a successful off season.  

They aren't done yet and didn't mortgage the future.   I expect this team to get even better after they move a few players out to free up cap. 

Well said. Agree completely. You're right, they aren't done yet. I have confidence in PA, JR, RT, and coaching staff ... these guys are all winners and know what it takes. As evidenced by the offseason moves and approach to team buy-in. 

One of the most impressive, key, and necessary aspects of this management is that they're not afraid to make unpopular/uncomfortable moves to make this team better. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well said. Agree completely. You're right, they aren't done yet. I have confidence in PA, JR, RT, and coaching staff ... these guys are all winners and know what it takes. As evidenced by the offseason moves and approach to team buy-in. 

One of the most impressive, key, and necessary aspects of this management is that they're not afraid to make unpopular/uncomfortable moves to make this team better. 

and the owner signs a massive check no hesitation to accommodate what management is trying to do. That OEL buyout should serve as notice to those that think ownership is a problem and also reassure people they are listening to JR and PA not the other way around. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

They had 4-5 high quality chances in the first 10-12 mins

Sticks were tied up, they made it extremely difficult for edmonton to get secondary attempts. Thats the big thing. High danger attempts are going to happen. Edmonton was going to come out hot as hell off the puck drop. We weathered the storm, took a man and tied up sticks. We retrieved the pucks in battles in front and alleviated pressure. Thats not bad hockey, thats playing strong defensively 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Remember when Nux were #1 in PP, PK or something like that in 2010-2011?

Feels a bit like that now, but it's not the same.  I still see the team as a young underdog that is trying to build a culture and this is our coming out party.  

Has more of the feel of the early WCE years when the team made the playoffs for the first time in yrs.  

58 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Put together the Canuck's great play this year, then combine that with the Oiler's ineptitude this year, and presto! a party breaks out..

At the 1:38 mark, did he just stifle himself from dropping the eff bomb?

As much as I love Garrett, we finally have a huge homer like Tommy L. Undeniable homer and proud to be a fan lol

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

That was truly the tail of the tape. Demko played REALLY well, but made the saves that he should make.; only let in a wickedly placed shot by Ekholm.

Not comparing the teams themselves, but the Canucks NOW play the same game as LV. Play your game (sound two way high effort hockey); keep calm and just keep trudging on, then capitalize of the other team's mistakes. That's how teams beat us last year, and that's how you beat the Oilers of the league. Its the winning formula...I am just not sure why Edm can not see it and make it happen there.

They dont have the depth or bottom 6 role players that make a difference in the dzone. As much as the top 6 is important, so is the bottom 6 role players. Guys who can competently defend and know how to break up plays, take a man and tie up a stick. Not over extend, no flybys, take away shooting and passing lanes and jam up the middle of our zone to make it extremely difficult to get in close to our goalie and get multiple attempts on rebounds. Edmonton has put so much money into a few guys and with the flattened cap it has destroyed their ability to build quality depth

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Might we use some of our AHL (prospects) in a bigger trade to bring in an NHL top 4 D?  Bad idea? 

Great idea if we are still a top 5 team in January. 

IMO we need another top 4 RHD and a gritty middle six forward. 

I'd be okay with parting with another 1st rounder pick if we could get a cost controlled player in the 23-27 age range

• Cheers 1