[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Great to hear. It took years but we're seeing the guy we hoped we traded for. Best part is trading him is no longer considered necessary to fix the d.

Like I said contract year and great coaches. Add lowest pairing. I fkn knew it lol. 

......but if we get a rental RHD, try Myers on the 4th line. 🙂

Neutral ice would look like the #1 during rush hour for opposing forwards. PDG,Joshua, Myer's clogging up lanes during the playoffs.  Esp vs LV or Boston. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

and the owner signs a massive check no hesitation to accommodate what management is trying to do. That OEL buyout should serve as notice to those that think ownership is a problem and also reassure people they are listening to JR and PA not the other way around. 

JR would not tolerate being told what to do by owner.  Him signing here signaled that AQ would not micromanage the team.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Sticks were tied up, they made it extremely difficult for edmonton to get secondary attempts. Thats the big thing. High danger attempts are going to happen. Edmonton was going to come out hot as hell off the puck drop. We weathered the storm, took a man and tied up sticks. We retrieved the pucks in battles in front and alleviated pressure. Thats not bad hockey, thats playing strong defensively 

Basically the same formula we saw the Stanley Cup champions play last spring; its how you consistently win game. Being the 21/22 Canucks or 2019-present Oilers where you need 5 goals to win most nights is not the winning formula.

11 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

and the owner signs a massive check no hesitation to accommodate what management is trying to do. That OEL buyout should serve as notice to those that think ownership is a problem and also reassure people they are listening to JR and PA not the other way around. 

Exactly this. You can see ownership is hands off, fully supportive. JR, PA, and are pros/winners. They wouldn't put up with that. Especially JR. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

They dont have the depth or bottom 6 role players that make a difference in the dzone. As much as the top 6 is important, so is the bottom 6 role players. Guys who can competently defend and know how to break up plays, take a man and tie up a stick. Not over extend, no flybys, take away shooting and passing lanes and jam up the middle of our zone to make it extremely difficult to get in close to our goalie and get multiple attempts on rebounds. Edmonton has put so much money into a few guys and with the flattened cap it has destroyed their ability to build quality depth

100% agree...but they have also chose to pay players that don't fit that mold. Cole, Suter, Lafferty (apparently they were interested), etc are all reasoning priced guys that fill that role. But, when you chose to sign high risk Darnell for >9m, RNH, re-up on Bouchard, blow 5m on Campbell who has never been consistent, etc, you are simply committed to run and gun....which basically gets u where they currently are when the goals dry up.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

so is woodcraft fired yet?

probably fake items on twitter (X) but I've seen both Sutter as the next head coach and one other that said that Holland was having a late supper last night with Bruce B. 

I'm not sure who I'd rather see behind that bench. 

Either one would give them an immediate bump but long time success is doubtful without a total team buy-in to team defense. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Realistically how many of those shots were actually big threats? Not many. We weathered the storm, kept shots to the outside tied sticks up in front didnt allow many rebound attempts. I was shocked when Iooked up and noticed the shots. I never felt like we were in serious danger. Guys werent getting dangled, no one was getting walked, there wasnt openings in high danger areas.

All situation HD shots against 12

5v5 HD shots against 9

HDGA 0

All situation MD shots against 10

5v5 MD shots against

MDGA 1

All situation LD shots against 20

5v5 LD shots against 16

LDGA 1

Vancouver helped make Demko’s job easier by keeping half of deadmontons shot to the outside or from out far.

5v5

IMG_0967.png.53792a8bf821fdec068ee2a0d08d3085.png

All situations 

IMG_0968.png.0b301e9426b3d959bb08106256eccebf.png

This has been a theme IMO. Even in games where we're getting outshot, many times, the shots are low quality chances and not high danger. Makes us look better than basic CORSI would tell you.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser quietly 2nd in league scoring to Matthews who's had 3 hat-tricks, and only by a couple of goals. Keep expecting him to slow down at some point but how can he with easy tap ins like that. The first goal was huge, who would have thought he'd be able to out battle Ekholm for a rebound?

Imagine we clean up the awards and take home all of the hardware

Jack Adams - RT

Norris - Hughes

Hart- Hughes

Art Ross - Petey

Selke- Petey

Rocket Richard- Boeser

Vezina-  Demko

Jennings - Demko and DeSmith

Jim Gregory (Top GM) - Allvin

Only one left out would be Miller who should then take home all of our team hardware

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Jack Adams - RT

Norris - Hughes

Hart- Hughes

Art Ross - Petey

Selke- Petey

Rocket Richard- Boeser

Vezina-  Demko

Only one left out would be Miller who should then take home all of our team hardware

Miller for the Conn Smythe after we win the cup in June, no doubt.

In a more serious note, I don't expect them to win a cup this year, I just hope we can keep watching this team play exciting and structural hockey that will lead to a playoff berth. Watch them grow and blossom as a group!

I think it has to be pretty clear now that the Canucks are one of the better teams in the league. There's no fluke to their play. This is a great team that has chemistry and a fully realized identity. They work hard every game and are consistent in their approach. If they make mistakes (and all teams do) they rectify them pretty quickly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Looks like McBaby has given up on the team...

He tried to come in composed but you can tell the moment he starts to crack when asked about the battle with JT Miller.  His voice goes up a touch and you can tell he has a ton of emotions (confusion, frustration) going through him. It's honestly not his fault he got drafted to Edmonton.  I have no idea what I would do if I was Holland.

Drai contract has 1 more season after this and then hes gonna command a huge raise.

Nurse is locked until 2030.  McDavid has 2 more seasons after this...

Their season is already done this year. 

Do you blow it up now and rebuild or do you trade one of Drais or McDavid  for immediate help to create a more balanced team...

Trading all 3 of McDavid, Drais and Ekholm should be a 3 year rebuild... They are stuck with Nurse unfortunately unless they do something like we diid with OEL and buy him out eventually. Nuge and Kane might have some value too but I doubt it...I would take Garland over either of those guys

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. You can see ownership is hands off, fully supportive. JR, PA, and are pros/winners. They wouldn't put up with that. Especially JR. 

Tocchet would respectfully tell Frankie to get the eff out of the locker room if he chose to stick his head in there I would guess (and say, just let me do my job & you'll be happy with the results)

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Jack Adams - RT

Norris - Hughes

Hart- Hughes

Art Ross - Petey

Selke- Petey

Rocket Richard- Boeser

Vezina-  Demko

Obviously it's so early on and we know there are NHL stars who will surely jump up and steal these, but I think we have some very realistic candidates.

Surely Tocchet is front-runner for Jack Adams right now.

Surely Hughes is front-runner for the Norris. Fox and Makar will make it interesting surely, but Quinn is doubling their point totals right now.

Surely McDavid turns it on at some point and steals the Art Ross, I doubt Petey remains in the lead all year.

Selke is all Petey's no one else is close IMO this year.

Rocket is going to Matthews.

Vezina is really interesting, if Demko stays healthy he's got it in the bag. Already leading the league in wins and shutouts and his save numbers are right up there. Any goalie from a top team like Boston or Vegas are in the running but they have more tandems whereas I think Demko will play more so is IMO the favourite so far.

Jennings is tough, Boston are just edging us right now on GAA but we're in the mix.

Top GM award surely goes to whoever wins the President's trophy but if we're up there, again he does deserve consideration but doubt he wins it.

So on the whole yeah, I think realistically we could clean up with the big ones - Selke, Norris and Vezina for sure.

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

He tried to come in composed but you can tell the moment he starts to crack when asked about the battle with JT Miller.  His voice goes up a touch and you can tell he has a ton of emotions (confusion, frustration) going through him. It's honestly not his fault he got drafted to Edmonton.  I have no idea what I would do if I was Holland.

Drai contract has 1 more season after this and then hes gonna command a huge raise.

Nurse is locked until 2030.  McDavid has 2 more seasons after this...

Their season is already done this year. 

Do you blow it up now and rebuild or do you trade one of Drais or McDavid  for immediate help to create a more balanced team...

Trading all 3 of McDavid, Drais and Ekholm should be a 3 year rebuild... They are stuck with Nurse unfortunately unless they do something like we diid with OEL and buy him out eventually. Nuge and Kane might have some value too but I doubt it...I would take Garland over either of those guys

No one will take any of them, except maybe Ekholm.  For what they have to give up and the cap implications, it'd be virtually impossible to move either of them

Little concerned about getting outplayed in the first but hey it was the Coilers and you know they live up to their stats so far this season. Demko keeps the puck out and Skinner doesn't. Great job by the boys and Millsy drove McDavid nuts. Very happy Canucks fan walking I to all the long sad Oilers fan faces today at work. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Good thing we didn't put our back up goalie in again, eh!

Edited by Shift-4
  • Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What a piss poor leader. The team hangs there goalie out plenty. Yes, goalies are very average. Still, you stick up for your teammates and say we need to put in a full 60 minutes.  Maybe say I need to be better, zero points, stupid angle shots on the PP. So nice to see his true colors come through, never cared for his lack of leadership style. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, HIWATT said:

He is just slicing the other teams apart, like Gordon Ramsay at the prep table. It's incredible to watch. 

You have to hope that Allvin is trying to add some muscle - specifically to the back end - because they are going to be coming for him now, and you can't dodge them all.

We play Vegas Nov 30, and we're in Boston Feb. 8 - that means watch out for the slippery shitsnake Marchand. 

Right, my answer I see is to add  Zadarov to the back end and add Myer's to the 4th line. We need blanket coverage to protect our stars going forward. Teams are going to play dirty.