[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

6 minutes ago, Bane said:

I would actually love to bring him back next season for another year at 2.5-3 million, 1 year contract to play the third pairing while Willander still cooks. 

If it becomes clear that his current level of play can be sustainable for not only the rest of this year but into next year I’d have absolutely no problem doing that.

35 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 11-10-50 NHL Stats - Sportsnet.ca.png

I've been defending TM for a while. Not because he's been particularly good, but because I don't think he was ever as bad as people made him out to be.

I always fall back on what my old Junior coach would say: "You can't teach reach".

• Cheers 4

20 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unfortunately Tocchet knows he's dealing a person that was born on third base & walked home when Bonds was hit by a pitch.  He's not going to take being told how to do his job (imho).

Now you’ve added Rick being told how to do his job as opposed to the owner presenting himself in the locker room. 

Even if the owner did try to direct Rick which I doubt he would , it would be the GM’s job to sort it out. 

The owner signs every cheque , pays for every bill, flight, hotel, promotion, bonus, tax, rent and on and on. He owns the ground these people walk on. Rick is not going to cross him. He’s got great judgement and knows when to react. His dismissal of challenging certain plays is proof of that. Imo.

3 hours ago, HOCKEYGOD77 said:

DISCIPLINE DISCIPLINE BUT TET TEAM TOUGHNESS..YOU WANT TO STICK UP FOR FELLOW TEAM MATES BUT YOU NEED TO PLAY SMART HOCKEY...I LIKE THAT ANY TEAM CAN TRY PUSHING THE CANUCKS AROUND WHICH IS HOCKEY BUT TEAM USES COMMON SENSE AND TO PAY BACK AT A LATER TIME AND MAKE SURE THAT HANDS AND SHOULDERS ARE NOT INJURED..LIKE THE WAY THEY ARE EVEN KEELED ON THE ICE BUT YET YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN TO TURN IT UP...HAVING YOUR GEAD ON A SWIVEL OUT THERE AND NOT REACT TO EVERYTHING IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT UNLESS VERY  NEEDED..

ALL CAPS = IGNORE

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Now you’ve added Rick being told how to do his job as opposed to the owner presenting himself in the locker room. 

Even if the owner did try to direct Rick which I doubt he would , it would be the GM’s job to sort it out. 

The owner signs every cheque , pays for every bill, flight, hotel, promotion, bonus, tax, rent and on and on. He owns the ground these people walk on. Rick is not going to cross him. He’s got great judgement and knows when to react. His dismissal of challenging certain plays is proof of that. Imo.

Even if?  Vigneault all but confirmed ownership put pressure on Gillis to fire him.  Reason why Benning couldn't do his job effectively as his hands were tied.  We'll have to agree to disagree.

Frankie thought he was Jerry Jones but he doesn't even has the laters business acumen 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If I were them I'd trade one of them for depth. These top-heavy teams just don't win these days. Look at the last cup winners - they all have great depth. I'd trade whoever can bring in more value. Not a rebuild, a retool. McDavid probably brings in more value but I think a team like Boston would be pretty happy with Draisaitl as a top line center.

They need a goalie and a defenceman and I'm sure they can get that from McD or Drai. Straight up to Boston for Carlo + Swayman + 1st? Can they get Lindholm instead of Carlo?

Win-win. Boston have Ullmark and such a good defence that they could plug any goalie in there (maybe they get Skinner back in the deal?). They have so many good defencemen that losing Lindholm or Carlo isn't the end of the world and McAvoy will just have to log bigger responsibilities. However, they have no true top line center. Doesn't seem to bother them now but it was and will be their undoing in the playoffs again. You plug big, strong Draisaitl into that 1C spot next to Pastrnak and Marchand and suddenly you have an All-star top line.

Meanwhile, Edmonton roll with McDavid as 1C, RNH as a pretty decent 2C and then have a Canucks-like bunch of average 3C and 4C. The goaltending upgrade is huge but also plugging a real defenceman into that team will make all the difference.

A trade like that is a win-win for both teams but it'd never happen, Edmonton are far too proud.

Yes that trade makes sense but the Oilers are too scared.  Holland doesn't want to be the guy that traded Drais or McDavid and end up failing the retool because he'll live in infamy for the rest of his career.  Who knows though. When his job is fully on the line, maybe he does that out of desperation. 

I do wonder if GMs are too short sighted when making moves.

For instance, no one wanted Boeser, Miller or Garland but I'm sure theyd happily take them now.

All they needed was better coaching, better systems and come to camp in better shape (mainly Boeser)

It seems to me a player's career is more volatile than the stock market.  We look only at the current or past season and think a player falls off the cliff at 28.

I believe we have the best or one of the top pro scouting dept in the league.  Everything they've touched turned to gold.

I bet the next evolution is finding semi overpaid players and have the team retain salary and get them for pennies on the dollar and ressurect their career.

I wonder if our guys are looking at players like Pool Party to figure out whether they can turn them into solid 2 way players.

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

So you're still not convinced we have a good team over here?

Ok you got me - Yeah that was a very general statement - I would say they are becoming good - it’s a process… It’s a long season and we aren’t at the quarter mark yet - they’re definitely way better than last year for sure -

and are improving - so yeah that’s how I see it right now in my opinion… They’re learning how to win and they’re doing a good job of it…

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Even if?  Vigneault all but confirmed ownership put pressure on Gillis to fire him.  Reason why Benning couldn't do his job effectively as his hands were tied.  We'll have to agree to disagree.

Frankie thought he was Jerry Jones but he doesn't even has the laters business acumen 

Now you’re introducing a whole new set of actors. That was then, this is now, things have changed. Hard to have a conversation if you keep changing the perameters.

Aquilini isn’t going to interfere with Rick and if he did Rick wouldn’t bite. It would move up the ladder. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Can't believe how well this team is playing 

So fun being a Canucks fan right now. 

It's incredible going into every game knowing you have a chance to win

We got completely jobbed by the refs against NYR.  SHoukd have been a 4-3 PP in OT for us.

Tampa was a great game and the team played well.

Only stinker so far was Philly all season. That's incredible.  

Remember when it used to be 1 in 3 games was a no show?

Country club days are long gone and what I am most excited about is that the core of the team is excited to put in the work and take on the challenge every day and it has become infectious.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We have a 3rd Line!!! 

Or two third lines? Haha good to see everyone contributing. TB hasn't even played a game yet.

DJ Suter Garland 

And

Hogs Lafferty Beau

2 minutes ago, jdubman said:

And WHY is he playing so well? Oh yeah, it's a contract year...

So true haha

Would love to see them turn Myers into a more legit RHD at the deadline via multiple trades.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome