[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I've been defending TM for a while. Not because he's been particularly good, but because I don't think he was ever as bad as people made him out to be.

I always fall back on what my old Junior coach would say: "You can't teach reach".

You and me both… I’ve defended him for multiple years. 
Myers makes mistakes yes, as does everyone. But he was a big time victim of shit goaltending. Last year was horrendous. The amount of low danger goals our goalies allowed and their GSAA being -55 collectively through the worst stretches of hockey, Myers was always being blamed yet there were plays where he had his guy tied up and completely cleared from the front of the net and a shot from 30-40ft out beat Martin clean…. There is a reason why he has led Vancouver in defensive point shares 2/4 seasons. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Who are you to think you’re someone?

IMG_8961.thumb.jpeg.ce249d63b8fe2ccef71b03e95071a71e.jpeg

Keith Moon passed away 3 weeks after this albums release. It has been noted that the chair he’s sitting in says “not to be taken away”.

The cover photographer, Terry Oneil, insisted that Moon position himself behind the chairs back to hide his distended belly due to alcoholism. It was alcoholism that took Keith. RIP.

Just talkin' 'bout My Generation.

Why don't you all just F-F-Fade away?

Don't try and dig what we all say.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdubman said:

And WHY is he playing so well? Of course, it's a contract year...

Myers always plays better when the team is playing better - and looks particularly bad when the team is struggling. 

Contract year, a solid veteran partner and reasonable 3rd pair minutes are why I had him bouncing back this year. After a rough start he’s right back on track.  Love how he and Soucy can start getting physical.  The twin towers. A 3rd pair that can play quality 16-18 minutes a night is a big luxury.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I know it's hard not to get excited about the team, but we don't want the team (and fans) to get too ahead of themselves. We are going to drop a bit at some point and I'd be interested to see how the team handles it.

I like how Miller said post game that it was nice to get another win, but they turn the page and move on to the next game. I think Tocc has instilled this into the team's mind set to take each game with business-like approach. The players always say the cliche of taking one game at a time, but we are actually seeing results on the ice to back it up. 

Credit the team, the coach and mgmt. Canucks finally have an identity. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jdubman said:

And WHY is he playing so well? Oh yeah, it's a contract year...

7 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Would love to see them turn Myers into a more legit RHD at the deadline via multiple trades.

EA343CD7-D6FB-4B04-804A-301288DA2E23.thumb.jpeg.185945d7be43169d703b069341eaee4d.jpeg

those arent contract years fellas. Myers is nowhere close to as bad as you make him out to be.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Good break down.

One thing he didn't make into a numbered point was Coaching. He did list PP and PK, which implies coaching. But I'd add Coaching on its own, specifically Tocchet, as one of the biggest reasons for the turnaround. 

I didn't know much about Tocchet as a coach before last year. All I knew was he was involved in that Gretzky family gambling scandal. So I judged him on that and was leary of his "character".  Boy was I wrong.

Tocchet, along with Foote and Gonchar, has arguably been the biggest influence on the teams success.  I mean we had much the same core with Boudreau and Green. 

Now I'd also add another point about what's driving our success and thats the president and the GM. They are feeding Tocc the type of support players he can work with. A great synergy there between management and coach.

I sometimes wonder how well Green could have done, who also wanted to implement more structure, if we had a competent GM back then who could actually scout veteran talent. I know many blame Green for our lack of success back then, but he didn't have a chance with such a nincompoop in charge.  But there is also the aspect of fearing and respecting your coach. I get the impression Tocc and the way he played the game, and his success as a player, gives him a huge amount of respect with the players that Green just didn't get. 

We are very lucky to land Tocchet, along with Foote and Gonchar, Ian Clarke...

Hronek is a huge reason somehow Quin leveled up..What a great move, Quinn can take more chances knowing he has a legit pairing partner.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, JamesB said:

My comments.

1. The Canucks got the Oilers going on a bad start to the season and this was an opportunity for the Oilers to start the turnaround. So, not surprisingly, Edmonton came out strong, playing as dominant a first 10 minutes as I have seen in a while, outshooting the Canucks 19-2.

2. With average goaltending the Canucks give up 2 or maybe 3 goals early and, with the team they have had in the previous 6 or 7 years, that would be game over.

3. But Demko kept them in it with great goaltending and the team completely turned things around. By late in the second period the shots actually equalized for a while and the Canucks had a lead they could ride out. The Oilers regained the shot lead as the "chasing" team, but the Canucks were in control from the second half of the first period onward.

4. Hard to say enough about Hughes. He was player of the week in the NHL last week. At the moment he is the best player in the NHL. I don't think it will continue at that level, but right now I have him as Norris leader AND the Hart leader.

5. The other point I would emphasize is that the bottom 6 is really coming around. Suter scored again and played very well. Lafferty has been a great pick-up. Hogs and Joshua have both taken criticism from the coach at times and they have both really come around and played well tonight. Great job by Tocchet.

6. At this stage it is hard to believe how well things are going. I thought that the media was collectively under-rating the Canucks this season but I admit that I did not anticipate this level of performance.

7. Finally, nice to see Boeser being the player we hoped he would be. Once again, good coaching by Tocchet. Boeser was one of the guys who had "a big summer" and it shows.

Love reading your analysis. Really well done

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

This might be more of an idictment on me, but Jay Woodcroft looks like my ex with short hair. Striking resemblance, actually.

Maybe should have kept that to myself....I made up for it!

Maybe she cut her hair and put on a suit and has been coaching the Oilers this whole time. 

• Haha 3

Late to the party... what a great show of fight to come back and take them apart again....

Can somebody please explain to me , why this Cassie Campbell spent every interval speaking about the oilers players?

Canucks just about won every period, and except for the first 10min, totally dominated the Coilers... 

In the end, they fell totally apart, and saying she liked seeing McDavid sitting in the box is nothing short of a joke... They are chasing the game, and their biggest thread takes a penalty for being a whiny bitch...

Best part was Miller fighting half the team himself, and then come straight out from the box and score... magic.

This team is going places

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Put together the Canuck's great play this year, then combine that with the Oiler's ineptitude this year, and presto! a party breaks out..

No penalties for princesses.  'Do what you want Connie, you're the best.'

McDouche is very lucky Di Giuseppe was not looking for a fight.

3rd man in also should have been ejected (but he was going in to Save The Princess) so no foul.

No wonder McD acts like a dillweed when he gets special treatment all the time.

Sure looked like less than a superstar when he saw Miller react to his wimpy tussling.

Like, "Oh my, goodness gracious me, he's going to beat the living shit out of me!"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Tocchet has officially made me a fan. I can't be a hater 1 minute longer. Sticking the top unit out there with 1 minute left in a 5-2 ass whooping. Yeah, you're him.

Suit them right after McWhinys comments after the 8-1 dropping... Tocchet sticks it to them...

• ThereItIs 1