[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

14 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

I didn't mean just this game. Analysts on every platform and network are doing their best to discredit the Canucks "hot start". None of this looks like luck to me. It looks like solid coaching and some shrewd moves by management in the offseason. 

This is not being talked about enough....

Only the most optimistic Canucks fan would have seen this come this quick, once JR/PA came in....

They knew exactly what they wanted, and what they were prepared to pay for it.... What a turn around...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is not being talked about enough....

Only the most optimistic Canucks fan would have seen this come this quick, once JR/PA came in....

They knew exactly what they wanted, and what they were prepared to pay for it.... What a turn around...

Alvin has proven to be a very shrewd GM, who's grown into the role. He and Rutherford have a vision that they've stuck to. Full credit to them 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, kilgore said:

One thing he didn't make into a numbered point was Coaching. He did list PP and PK, which implies coaching. But I'd add Coaching on its own, specifically Tocchet, as one of the biggest reasons for the turnaround. 

I didn't know much about Tocchet as a coach before last year. All I knew was he was involved in that Gretzky family gambling scandal. So I judged him on that and was leary of his "character".  Boy was I wrong.

Tocchet, along with Foote and Gonchar, has arguably been the biggest influence on the teams success.  I mean we had much the same core with Boudreau and Green. 

Now I'd also add another point about what's driving our success and thats the president and the GM. They are feeding Tocc the type of support players he can work with. A great synergy there between management and coach.

I sometimes wonder how well Green could have done, who also wanted to implement more structure, if we had a competent GM back then who could actually scout veteran talent. I know many blame Green for our lack of success back then, but he didn't have a chance with such a nincompoop in charge.  But there is also the aspect of fearing and respecting your coach. I get the impression Tocc and the way he played the game, and his success as a player, gives him a huge amount of respect with the players that Green just didn't get. 

We are very lucky to land Tocchet, along with Foote and Gonchar, Ian Clarke...

Tocchet's presence commands respect. For those with a military background, he reminds me of an NCM (non officer) of high rank like a Warrant. A guy who has been through the battles in the trenches and came out of the war with victories. A guy whos seen and heard it all.  A guy that the players respect and don't want to test or find out the hard way. It's also very helpful knowing he came fully endorsed by JR and PA and Toch is their guy so the players better respect and buy in or they are the ones that are gone.

It also helps that Benning drafted a great core of players with the right attitude who will buy in and lead by example.

It does feel surreal that while we knew we had a lof of the right pieces (Demko, Petey, Hughes) the remaining pieces that we weren't sure would fit has actually fit like a puzzle (Miller, Boeser, Garland, Di Giuseppi, Myers) 

The main changes this year was the big buyout of OEL followed by Cole, Soucy and Suter.  

The incredible thing is that the improvement in how our team is playing is literally a team thing.

Our GM did the job by making the hard decision to buy out OEL and bring in Soucy, Cole, Suter and Bleuger

RT did the heavy lifting by making the players buy in and changing how they practice and approach the game. 

The players then also did their part by taking accountability and making changes to improve starting with Miller booking a meeting with RT to help his 2 way game, Boeser coming in in the best shape of his life, Hughes doing captain things and working hard all summer and coming to camp with a new inventory of blue line moves, Petey coming in focused. 

It was literally a full team effort from amanagement all the way to the players and that is why we are seeing success.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Kragar said:

Absolutely.  I was more getting at teams like the Oilers who seem to depend on officiating going their way on a regular basis, and maybe a ref getting fed up with it.

Of course, that assumes that the refs are fair, in general, and we've all heard (or perhaps even made) arguments against that being the case.

Good point. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I do feel like we need a little moderation to not cross the line.

Calling public figures and a decorated champion of woman's hockey a whore does not sit well with me either...

She was being a loser homer and I think we can call her out on that but let's keep it there...

The post was in reference to another poster complaining about her use of makeup. 

25 minutes ago, EastVanCanuck said:

Where's Wai Lai?  Your team sucks

I think the guy is a true Canucks fan.

He's very analytical and says what is on his mind.

I still remember my debate with him about Poolman when we signed him.  Ultimately he was right while I defended the signing...

Anway we are all wrong about something at one point or another.... I dont think any of us have batted a perfect 1.00 here.

Well actually we may have here because this forum is new lol

but I'm sure we've been mistaken numerous times on CDC

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1