[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yah- that used to be  me, as well.

However I have to give the guy credit, he seems to have turned his life around from trainwreck to ok dude.

A period of years have gone by without  him being a jackass.

Without allowing for redemption, no one will ever have cause to re deem.

but he's adopted too many of McD's bad habits of NOT back checking and NOT playing defense and cheap shotting all over the ice. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Kane was not a person I'd have wanted, but has, to my knowledge been a different guy for a few years.

If I can't accept others can change, why believe I can?

Personality aside. His game has dropped off. We are going into a cap crunch next three years while trying to compete. Cap space will need to be spent very wisely. We seem ok scoring wise but could use some bigger, stronger wingers. Cheaper wingers than Kane.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yah- that used to be  me, as well.

However I have to give the guy credit, he seems to have turned his life around from trainwreck to ok dude.

A period of years have gone by without  him being a jackass.

Without allowing for redemption, no one will ever have cause to re deem.

Not sure Kane, even with the betterment in his life, is a fit for the Canucks. He'd have to get behind the strong personalities already in charge here. Would he be able to do that? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure Kane, even with the betterment in his life, is a fit for the Canucks. He'd have to get behind the strong personalities already in charge here. Would he be able to do that? 

Seems like this crew we have are already tight.  As a result I'd be really reluctant to add a guy like Kane even if he's reformed.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All trades are risky to some degree or other.

But that first round pick looks like a lock for top 3.

will say I just took a look at cap friendly- didn't realize that he signed for 2 more years after this, and thought he was a bit cheaper-which does change things.

57 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Cool story - not about if he is bad or not (I expected him to have a good year and think he is a solid D at the right price), it's about whether there is a better way to allocate $6M across the team. If he was at $3.5M, one could put up with his inconsistent play at times.

$6M in cap is too much for Myers, except in his contract year. I would be fine if the team can sign him to a more reasonable extension or trade him in an effort to eventually acquire a RHD that better performs at the $6M level.

The next guy you trade for isnt coming in at around 6mil. Its going to be more than 6. Myers is tied for 10th in scoring as a dman with 61% dzone starts. You do realize Myers has a 58.7%dzone avg in 5 seasons with Vancouver, right? His utilization is a shutdown dman role. Its been that way since day 1. Go look around at contracts around the league of who is getting what and what they are providing in their particular role. Myers contract is very fair. He is taking on oppositions top 6, he is taking on PK and he is not getting any PP time or ozone starts to boost his stats whatsoever. There are countless guys making 5-8mil who are doing much worse, slightly better or around the same as Myers. Its not like he is the only 6 million dollar man in the league.

Heres some well known names around the league and keep in mind, a lot of these guys get PP time, something Myers does not get.

Nurse 9.25mil 3pts -5 54.2%dZS 10oiGF 17oiGA

Josi 9.059mil 8pts even 29.6%dZS 17oiGF 14oiGA

Hamilton 9.0mil 8pts -4 40.8%dZS 17oiGF 15oiGA

Sergachev 8.5mil 6pts -9 48.3%dZS 13oiGF 19oiGA

Trouba 8.0mil 4pts +2 71.1%dZS   8oiGF 11oiGA

Carlson 8.0mil 7pts -2 41.9%dZS 11oiGF 12oiGA

Orlov 7.75mil 5pts -8 29.6%dZS   8oiGF 14oiGA

Parayko 6.5mil 2pts -2 61.4%dZS 7oiGF 13oiGA

Krug 6.5mil 0pts even 43.0%dZS 9oiGF 6oiGA

Faulk 6.5mil 3pts +6 49.7%dZS    8oiGF 4oiGA

Ekholm 6.150mil 3pts +1 50.3%dZS  9oiGF 16oiGA

Myers 6mil 5pts +10 61.0%dZS    15oiGF 9oiGA

Myers has less offensive opportunities than almost everyone just named, yet his 39%dZs is leading to offence more or very close to, guys with far more offensive zone opportunities which includes PK and Myers doesnt seem to be on for many goals against and he does more PKing than a lot of these guys. 

It would be very challenging to find 

1) a player at half the cap with a better impact

and

2) a team willing to give a guy like that up

We need to develop that player within the organization most likely

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

haha definitely not taking it too seriously. 

I imagine its hard being a public figure. Especially a female in a male dominated world like hockey.

Yes that poor woman who has made over a million dollars in her hockey career, and is now getting paid 400k a year to talk about and watch hockey. Good thing there's people on a forum she will never read to defend her honor

2 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Maybe she cut her hair and put on a suit and has been coaching the Oilers this whole time. 

Hahahahhaa that's not possible, she doesn't know a thing about hoc.....you know what? You might be right!

15 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

The next guy you trade for isnt coming in at around 6mil. Its going to be more than 6. Myers is tied for 10th in scoring as a dman with 61% dzone starts. You do realize Myers has a 58.7%dzone avg in 5 seasons with Vancouver, right? His utilization is a shutdown dman role. Its been that way since day 1. Go look around at contracts around the league of who is getting what and what they are providing in their particular role. Myers contract is very fair. He is taking on oppositions top 6, he is taking on PK and he is not getting any PP time or ozone starts to boost his stats whatsoever. There are countless guys making 5-8mil who are doing much worse, slightly better or around the same as Myers. Its not like he is the only 6 million dollar man in the league.

Heres some well known names around the league and keep in mind, a lot of these guys get PP time, something Myers does not get.

Nurse 9.25mil 3pts -5 54.2%dZS 10oiGF 17oiGA

Josi 9.059mil 8pts even 29.6%dZS 17oiGF 14oiGA

Hamilton 9.0mil 8pts -4 40.8%dZS 17oiGF 15oiGA

Sergachev 8.5mil 6pts -9 48.3%dZS 13oiGF 19oiGA

Trouba 8.0mil 4pts +2 71.1%dZS   8oiGF 11oiGA

Carlson 8.0mil 7pts -2 41.9%dZS 11oiGF 12oiGA

Orlov 7.75mil 5pts -8 29.6%dZS   8oiGF 14oiGA

Parayko 6.5mil 2pts -2 61.4%dZS 7oiGF 13oiGA

Krug 6.5mil 0pts even 43.0%dZS 9oiGF 6oiGA

Faulk 6.5mil 3pts +6 49.7%dZS    8oiGF 4oiGA

Ekholm 6.150mil 3pts +1 50.3%dZS  9oiGF 16oiGA

Myers 6mil 5pts +10 61.0%dZS    15oiGF 9oiGA

Myers has less offensive opportunities than almost everyone just named, yet his 39%dZs is leading to offence more or very close to, guys with far more offensive zone opportunities which includes PK and Myers doesnt seem to be on for many goals against and he does more PKing than a lot of these guys. 

It would be very challenging to find 

1) a player at half the cap with a better impact

and

2) a team willing to give a guy like that up

We need to develop that player within the organization most likely

Trade...we do have some D that can use the time he is getting at a fraction of the cost and risk.

Our prospects or bench warmers need this.

16 hours ago, The Duke said:

Not just saying this towards you - but what’s wrong with her commentating? 

I though just about everything she said was spot on.

What I heard in the first two intermissions was all about the Oilers, what they did well etc etc etc...

Canucks were up 3-1 after the first and 4-2 after the second, and she gave zero positive talk about the Canucks... sounded like an Oilers employee....

How about giving the boys some respect... after all its 3rd straight spanking...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Can l ask for Rick  T to release his relentless attack this Thursday. Ottawa is hurting and l don't care.

Let the beasts of the west annihilate them.

No holds barred .

Really looking forward to this road trip.

Truth is, I am really looking forward to more Canuck hockey.

I can barely believe we are winning, and winning, and showing great character, and growth, and, and, and.

So lets take this show to Ottawa and watch how they try to handle it.

Re: No Holds Barred! Thanks for that. Haven't heard that for a while.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Little Baby is stuck there for two more seasons (possibly) I bet he's traded to California sometime in the next two years. So he can cry on the beach when he loses. 

I'm thinking New York Rangers, tbh. Or some other east coast original 6 with far less travel... maybe even Tampa if he wants to scrooge mcduck his dollars?

But yes, he will cry no matter where he goes.

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

What I heard in the first two intermissions was all about the Oilers, what they did well etc etc etc...

Canucks were up 3-1 after the first and 4-2 after the second, and she gave zero positive talk about the Canucks... sounded like an Oilers employee....

How about giving the boys some respect... after all its 3rd straight spanking...

It was an oilers broadcast team, so makes sense.  Though hockey central is for all I guess.  

1 minute ago, Canuckle said:

I'm thinking New York Rangers, tbh. Or some other east coast original 6 with far less travel... maybe even Tampa if he wants to scrooge mcduck his dollars?

But yes, he will cry no matter where he goes.

Tampa is my guess

• Cheers 1

I see a lot of talk about moving DeSmith, Garland and Beau for players that we think might be an upgrade, but as has been pointed out already, we're tight against the Cap and Petey needs a new contract, with other core players not far behind.

I'd be fine with moving those guys, but I'd want to see picks or prospects coming back. We have Bleuger coming back soon and (hopefully) Podz as well. I'd be just fine with those two filling out roster spots on the big club. (We also have Studnicka who could slot in on the 4th line, as well as guys like Aman down in Abby)

That being said, if we were going to add a roster player, I wouldn't mind seeing someone with some size and a mean streak on the back end. Somebody like Logan Stanley.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad they never rushed a trade for Myers. He seems to be playing some of his best hockey as a Canuck. Value has gone up I would imagine. 

I'm not sure they're Cup contenders (yet), as much as I'd like to think they might be. IMO, they could use one more D and another good, gritty player with some size who can skate and hit, get physical when push comes to shove. I'm seeing Hughes and Pettersson in these tussles and those boys aren't built for that type of game. Damn, if the Canucks had Xhekaj, they could be very tough to play against. Joshua is a big guy, but he needs to get a bit of Garland meanness in him. I like the D (Cole, Soucy, Friedman and Myers) as far as pushback.  Miller is tough as nails, but they need a big dude who won't allow other teams to take cheap shots with Quinn and Petey. The playoffs are a different beast.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1