[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I see a lot of talk about moving DeSmith, Garland and Beau for players that we think might be an upgrade, but as has been pointed out already, we're tight against the Cap and Petey needs a new contract, with other core players not far behind.

I'd be fine with moving those guys, but I'd want to see picks or prospects coming back. We have Bleuger coming back soon and (hopefully) Podz as well. I'd be just fine with those two filling out roster spots on the big club. (We also have Studnicka who could slot in on the 4th line, as well as guys like Aman down in Abby)

That being said, if we were going to add a roster player, I wouldn't mind seeing someone with some size and a mean streak on the back end. Somebody like Logan Stanley.....

DeSmith? who the heck would replace him? no one in Abby is ready yet. That was a great trade to get him, it would make no sense to throw that away now.

Beau is the main guy to move, I wouldn't even be opposed to including a late round pick or lesser prospect to move that if need be and bank cap space for the TDL.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It was an oilers broadcast team, so makes sense.  Though hockey central is for all I guess.  

Tampa is my guess

Fair point, however....

You have a Canadian team, that is doing well, and on hockey central it sounds like its from Russia...

Maybe show them a bit respect... 

When I hear the Canucks feed, they normally tip their hat to the opposition, if they get done... 

I just thought it was weird...

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

DeSmith? who the heck would replace him? no one in Abby is ready yet. That was a great trade to get him, it would make no sense to throw that away now.

Beau is the main guy to move, I wouldn't even be opposed to including a late round pick or lesser prospect to move that if need be and bank cap space for the TDL.

Yeah, even if Silovs were ready for prime time, I think he's far better off playing top minutes on the farm, than playing every 5th or 6th game in Vancity.

That being said, if he continues playing as well as he has so far and a contender's goalie goes down with a season ending injury just before the TDL, I'd listen to the offer....

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Fair point, however....

You have a Canadian team, that is doing well, and on hockey central it sounds like its from Russia...

Maybe show them a bit respect... 

When I hear the Canucks feed, they normally tip their hat to the opposition, if they get done... 

I just thought it was weird...

I agree, but the Canucks broadcast team is the outlier I find.  And, not coincidentally, the best 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

In general the pro scouting seems to be leaps and bounds above where it was when Benning was in charge as well. Most of the additions management has made to the roster since taking over have fit right in. Sure, it's not a 100% success rate, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was. I think I can count on one hand the number of additions to the roster Benning made that made a significant positive impact on the team. Hell, for all of the bitching we do about Tyler Myers he's still one of Benning's better free agent signings lol. That speaks to the level of ineptitude our pro scouting was under that doofus.

From earlier press: "As assistant GM, Granato will oversee Vancouver’s player development department and its amateur and pro scouting department."

It's not one person team obviously, but she and the team she leads are doing a good job with the pickups they got so far.  

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

From earlier press: "As assistant GM, Granato will oversee Vancouver’s player development department and its amateur and pro scouting department."

It's not one person team obviously, but she and the team she leads are doing a good job with the pickups they got so far.  

Cammy!!! 

Myers shouldn't go anywhere with the way he's playing now.  Who knew it would only take shaving off about 3 min a game for him to actually earn his paycheck.  The team is firing on all cylinders and should be allowed to keep rolling along.  Beauvillier is the only weak-ish link on the squad at the moment and will likely watch from the pressbox when Bluger joins the team.  Unless Garland is rehomed by then.  That said I will miss Garly a lot when he's gone.  He's a tenacious forechecker for his size.  I love watching his work ethic and his speed is amazing.

4 minutes ago, Veskit said:

Myers shouldn't go anywhere with the way he's playing now.  Who knew it would only take shaving off about 3 min a game for him to actually earn his paycheck.  The team is firing on all cylinders and should be allowed to keep rolling along.  Beauvillier is the only weak-ish link on the squad at the moment and will likely watch from the pressbox when Bluger joins the team.  Unless Garland is rehomed by then.  That said I will miss Garly a lot when he's gone.  He's a tenacious forechecker for his size.  I love watching his work ethic and his speed is amazing.

Great observation. I agree. 

I would hope when Bleuger slots in, Beau sits. 

Garlands line is looking really good and they seem to have chemistry. Hard to find a bottom 6 that produces so I am hesitant to mess with it 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, but the Canucks broadcast team is the outlier I find.  And, not coincidentally, the best 

I appreciate Shorty and Murph's measured takes and obvious respect for each team playing - Shorty in particular calls it like he sees it, and does so respectfully and thoughtfully. Glad to be able to listen to them rather than other NHL broadcasters

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Imagine paying over 9 million dollars for a moron who can't defend. If I were Edmonton I’d ask if we could pay and play Sarah Nurse instead of Darnell. 

Forget Sarah, Kia Nurse would probably be better than Darnell. Hell, they should just take that money and buy as many Kia cars with it as they can. I’m not sure what they’d do with all those cars, but surely it would be a better use of the money than whatever Darnell’s doing. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm glad they never rushed a trade for Myers. He seems to be playing some of his best hockey as a Canuck. Value has gone up I would imagine. 

I'm not sure they're Cup contenders (yet), as much as I'd like to think they might be. IMO, they could use one more D and another good, gritty player with some size who can skate and hit, get physical when push comes to shove. I'm seeing Hughes and Pettersson in these tussles and those boys aren't built for that type of game. Damn, if the Canucks had Xhekaj, they could be very tough to play against. Joshua is a big guy, but he needs to get a bit of Garland meanness in him. I like the D (Cole, Soucy, Friedman and Myers) as far as pushback.  Miller is tough as nails, but they need a big dude who won't allow other teams to take cheap shots with Quinn and Petey. The playoffs are a different beast.

maybe in Ottawa we offer Zack MacEwen a bus ticket. with all the smart moves we made this year I thought for sure we would pick him off the waivers a few weeks ago.