[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's not fashion, maybe that's what people need to understand.

You can make gunmetal grey or black with the Orca, it will look just as slick.

Changing the Orca to Gunmetal or back to black would be about fashion.  Skate is an old design, and a fan favorite, coming back.

4 hours ago, snowman955 said:

I live in ottawa , breathing Canucks.

This forum allows me the opportunity (like a family) to keep up on opinions on our team. Not threw Tsn ,sportsnet or any other inquiries .

Likewise. I look forward to the one live Nucks game per year. GCG!

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

No one will ever be able to coach like Quinn did in 94'... That was something to behold.  That's when I learned, a great coach that has the respect of all his players and is protective and caring but very tough demanding can make good players great.  

I'm thinking coach Tocc has many of these qualities... Plus a hall of fame staff.  Tocc and co are helping bring this good team and leading them to greatness.

What used to bug me about 'The Big Irishman' was that he would wait until the last moment to call a timeout.  Then they'd huddle up and he would  lower his glasses on his nose and look over them and tell them what to do.  And it almost always worked.  But he'd wait til the last minute many, many times.  Still, he's my all time favorite coach.  

Tocchet has really impressed me so far, and it looks like he is building for long-term success.

From PA and his AGMs, the scouting and development teams, a platoon of coaches, trainers, and the Sedins and Higgins and even Coach Mike "Yep" the whole thing is working like a first-class business organization.

I really wasn't sure Francisco was capable of hiring a proper president and I wasn't sure if Jim Rutherford could still handle the workload and the pressure.  I think the jury may still be out on both of them, but so far, JR has done a wonderful job and is even starting to loosen the reins a bit on Patrik Allvin (I speculate). 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

And 8 coaches or whatever it was lol

Yeo not Yep  

Didn't know much about Yogi Svejkovsky.

Had to look it up. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/finding-an-advantage-with-yogi-svejkovsky-one-percent-makes-a-difference

Now we have a Yogi says...

Edited by Jaimito

Chris Faber's first column as Nux senior writer.  

9-2-1 Canucks Are Building Confidence But Staying Humble As The Road Ahead Is Long

MicrosoftTeams-image (28)
By Chris Faber

November 07, 2023

It is officially the best start through a dozen games in Vancouver Canucks history. 

While some teams might celebrate, the Canucks aren’t satisfied. The road ahead is long – and they’ve got work to do.

That road’s next three stops take us out east as the Canucks will play three games in four nights, beginning with the Ottawa Senators on Thursday, followed by the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, and wrapping up the three-game road trip Sunday in Montreal with a match against the Canadiens.

Currently sitting second in the Pacific Division, with a 9-2-1 record, the Canucks are developing their identity while they build a culture where each and every shift requires a balance of effort and efficiency.

“Everybody is buying into that identity,” said head coach Rick Tocchet in Tuesday’s post-game availability. “Our puck management last year was, I would say average, and I think we’ve really worked on it this year… All the great teams, teams that win consistently, are really good at game management and that’s something we’re always striving for every game.”

The Canucks’ investment in structure and being hard to play against is helping players like Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson thrive both offensively and defensively. 

Hughes was named NHL Player of the Week last week and now has 12 points over his last four games.

Yes, you read that right -- 12 points in his last four games.

Defensively, Hughes has taken another step in his game and it’s showing with control of the goal share at five-on-five. The Canucks’ captain leads the NHL (minimum 150 mins) in control of five-on-five goal share -- being on the ice for 15 goals scored and only three goals against. 

“I think that we’re just, as a whole, getting a bit more mature as a team,” said Hughes about the players who have been around for a few years. “We’re getting older, and we really want to win. Guys are competitive right now and I think it’s more of a maturity thing over the last couple of years.”

Elias Pettersson sits atop the NHL for scoring with six goals and 15 assists for 21 points through 12 games. 

The 24-year-old centre is well- aware that individual goals don’t directly result in wins but when you play the right way, the points will come along with the wins. Pettersson continues to keep a ‘taking care of business’ mentality even with the accolades that he has been collecting this season.

Pettersson has talked about this team not getting loose and how he has been happy with the team’s ability to repeat their good habits over and over. As the structure continues to bleed into the players’ DNA, we are seeing the group gain momentum and be able to snap into that momentum with a strong buy-in to the coaching staff’s teachings. 

The line of Phil Di Giuseppe, J.T. Miller, and Brock Boeser have been tasked with matching up against the opposition’s top lines and the trio is thriving in their new match-up role. As the line, that some fans are calling the PB & J line (Phil, Brock & JT), the trio has been on the ice for seven goals for and only three against in their matchups against the opposing top lines. 

Thatcher Demko is on a roll of late and is giving the rest of the team a chance to hang around in games before their quick-strike offence can find the back of the net. Tocchet called Demko a “smelling salt” as he can make a few big saves and wake the team up. 

On top of his impressive 7-2-0 record, Demko holds a league-leading 11.78 goals saved above average and already has a pair of shutouts on the season after notching a 2-0 victory on Saturday night against a strong Dallas Stars team.

We are seeing the defence begin to gel in their pairings while also being flexible when assistant coach Adam Foote wants to make some in-game changes.

The pairing of Ian Cole and Mark Friedman embodies being hard to play against and is beginning to see their hard work pay off in the goal share as the pairing has been on the ice for only one goal-against in their 85 minutes of ice time. 

Another defenceman who is playing some of his best hockey is Tyler Myers. 

“I think he’s been unreal,” said Tocchet. “The last five games, he’s been one of our best players. He’s dialed in [and] he’s really playing well for us. I’m proud of him.”

With head coach Rick Tocchet and his staff working alongside these players, there’s a level of expectation that the players will need to stay at and build on to achieve their goals of becoming a playoff team.

MicrosoftTeams-image (27)

The focus is keeping a business-like mentality where there are limited ups and downs during the season. Even with Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes and Thatcher Demko having league-leading stats, the group continues to keep a low profile and celebrate wins instead of individual achievements. The work is far from over and this group is buying into this new culture built on standards, habits, consistency, and humility.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Googlie said:

Thats a bit harsh. No?

See:

A sentinel event is an unexpected occurrence involving death or serious physical or psychological injury, or the risk thereof. Serious injury specifically includes loss of limb or function.

Well let's just wait to see if they hire Keenan, Babcock or Crawford.  Then we'll judge that one 😄

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

This team looks and feels different.  Most people can see it.  Getting rid of JT last year wasn't the answer.  

It was a tough decision, but trading Bo was a fantastic decision......not just to get Hronek, but to also change the identity of the team and to reduce redundancy.  Bo was a good player but I never liked his leadership.....not a knock on him but he was in a tough place to have to take on that role when he did.  Turning a page is a fantastic thing and hopefully for him too.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Tusk said:

Thats the worst thing about Shorthouse, tipping the hat to the other team? He likes to drone on about the McDavids and the Matthews,  it sounds like he is a boston fan, a toronto fan.....TO BE FAIRE  he has been a bit better this season.

He is starting to sound like a canucks fan again.

However, the color guy last night was the best.... I dont know who the other guy they have been putting up with....

I don't feel so bad about Shorty....

I think, its good, that the colour commentators are open and gives an objective view on, what he sees on the ice. 
Obviously with Canucks eyes as he's on the home broadcast. 

Sometimes its actually good that they can control themselves instead of inciting public flocking of referees and players every time it doesn't go our way... 

Make it easier to cope with mistakes...

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Hi All

Just arrived back in Prince Rupert from Vancouver........took in the Oilers/Canucks game. 20 to 2 shots on goal and the Oiler fans were very loud, But we rallied the boys, and the came back with a vengeance. We had alot of fun! I would say, with plane tickets, hotel rooms, meals, and booze, we probably spent $3000 between the 3 of us. Maybe a little more, as the boys stayed out a little later than the old geezer (me)

But anyways, as the game proceeded, it was painfully obvious, that the Oilers lack a puck moving defenseman. And the more our captain took over the game, the more the Oiler fans jumped off the bridge. 

Great Game, with Hughes and Demko leading the way. We really noticed hoglander and Joshua out there in their limited time.......but it was a solid team effort. 

The pregame video on the screen, was work the price of admission. 

Anyways, we had great fun, and I had absolutely no complaints of our team.

Sounds like a belter of a trip Jan. 
Trips like these with mates and fellow fans are absolutely gold... and when the team is on a roll its just magic. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

In general the pro scouting seems to be leaps and bounds above where it was when Benning was in charge as well. Most of the additions management has made to the roster since taking over have fit right in. Sure, it's not a 100% success rate, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was. I think I can count on one hand the number of additions to the roster Benning made that made a significant positive impact on the team. Hell, for all of the bitching we do about Tyler Myers he's still one of Benning's better free agent signings lol. That speaks to the level of ineptitude our pro scouting was under that doofus.

They did get the Miller signing right though. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

One thing that these analytics models can't account for is the sudden emergence of chemistry.  That's certainly unexpected.  This team reminds me of those Canucks teams leading up to the 2011 season. From 2008-2010 they were struggling to find their way.  I remember Alex Burrows breaking his stick over his knee to symbolize a losing streak being snapped, but they hadn't reached their final form.  It wasn't until AV with a stroke of genius decided to put the Sedins with Burrows who up until that point had been playing with Kessler on the 4th line that they started to change their trajectory.  This year had a similar massive change in their team, one that changed the trajectory of this team and has baffled the analytics "experts".  Similarly (1) the moment Quinn Hughes was paired with a Hronek is the moment this team changed. 

(2) Same with putting PDG with Miller and Boeser. That line formed instant chemistry. Its such chemistry that exposes the flaw in many of these "above expected" models.  

And 3rd, the return of Brock Boeser's form.  It took time for him to process the death of his dad.  Such circumstances wouldn't be included in any above expected model . 

Great post

Agreed with all points. 

The gelling of the team and each individual stepping up and playing up to their potential at the same time was unexpected

When looking up and down the lineup and especially our core players, I can't say anything like *this team will be even better when x... "

Every player is contributing. Every player has found a role in the team and figured out how to contribute. 

Joshua was maybe one of the guys I would have identified as needing a little more from but last game he made a great assist on the Suter goal and almost buried one himself in front of the net. 

I would like a little more consistency in terms of physicality from him. 

Only one that may not fit is Beau. Even then, it's not like he's costing the team or anything. In fact, we used to be happy when our bottom 6 kept things neutral and doesn't get scored on.  Beau is doing exactly that. Hea not really giving up chances but he's also not generating much offensively.

Thats not necessarily bad when the bottom 6 have other guys like Suter, Hogz, Lafferty, Garland that are producing. 

While writing this, I almost fell off my chair. Did you know Beau has 5 pts? I will gladly take that when he's playing in a bottom 6 role.  He's actually out scoring (point wise) Garland, Joshua, Suter and PDG. I did not expect that. 

Wow, what a deep team. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1